Cash event in 2020

lder

5 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

This board has some weird threads.

You must have noticed... strength sports, grip in particular, attracts a lot of eccentric folks..... you gotta be to do what we do.

30 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You must have noticed... strength sports, grip in particular, attracts a lot of eccentric folks..... you gotta be to do what we do.

Face it, we are a weird blend of macho and geek.  For me, that is perfect.  Luv y'all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Face it, we are a weird blend of macho and geek.  For me, that is perfect.  Luv y'all.

John Stepien calls grip the “dungeons and dragons” of strength sports.... 

3 hours ago, KapMan said:

Not everyone can do it. Those are facts. Also. Those guys you mentioned are outliers. You are talking small percentages. This anyone can do anything bs is as tired as the hand size debate itself. 

Thats like saying anyone can deadlift 1000 pounds, anyone can walk the dinnie stones, and any one can dunk on kobe bryant. 

Exactly.  Adam's optimism is AWESOME, and I have seen it at work in person, with him cheering me on silver bulleting a 3.5 for a PR.  It's infectious and it can motivate.  But it has a place -- telling me, for example, that I could close a 4 if I make it a priority because anyone can would just be hogwash.  It does not matter what I do, what priorities I choose, how hard I work.  I am 175 pounds, 7.5 inch hand, 50 years old, and I have a reasonably strong but not super-exceptional build and musculature.  I will never close a 4, deadlift 1000 (or even 600, given back surgery etc.), bench 300.  Physically impossible.

The optimism is useful in this way:  I have MMS closed a 3 and got MM0.  And I did it with a pretty wide MMS set.  I have never CCS closed a 3 though.  Telling me that if I work hard and make it a priority I can get the IM COC3 cert is not misguided.  That's practical optimism.  It may or may not ever happen, but I bet that I can control that with effort and determination, and if it is a priority, and that Adamesque encouragement/confidence/optimism would be well-placed there.  For Adam, that 4 may be attainable.  For some other folks, the 3 would be an unreasonable pipe dream.  It's naïve to go through life thinking anyone can do anything.  It's an easy thing to spout, but it is not so.  The danger is not realizing that you probably CAN do MORE than you think.  That is what I am getting at.  I like that optimism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

John Stepien calls grip the “dungeons and dragons” of strength sports.... 

So true.  I used to play that.  I knew since high school (graduated 1987, before a lot of you folks were even born!) that I was a geek.  I just never understood why I was the only geek who could beat all the football players at arm wrestling.  Now I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

This thread has definitely lost any resemblance to its original intention ... 

Forgot what that even was ...

Sorry Ider, for helping steer this thread off course.  We are a social bunch.  I hope you get your cash comp going, and that the big names are attracted.  Probably not gonna be the right fit for me, but I'd consider coming to watch and socialize, etc.  I like the idea of getting good athletes from other disciplines into grip.

Back to the original thread.  This would be very close to me, but I can't see spending $250 on an entry fee for a contest I have zero chance in.  But, that being said, I'm not the target athlete you are trying to entice to enter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

This thread has definitely lost any resemblance to its original intention ... 

Then it’s following the normal trajectory. No need for alarm. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

So true.  I used to play that.  I knew since high school (graduated 1987, before a lot of you folks were even born!) that I was a geek.  I just never understood why I was the only geek who could beat all the football players at arm wrestling.  Now I know.

I play it now. Even going as far as starting to paint miniatures because fun..

As for the contest though. OP is within my bubble of acceptable distance of travel, but like Rhindo the Bindo. Not chucking an additional 250, on top of the other costs to get slaughtered. Gotta pick my fights, I cant even compete with the bunch we have, Im not even in the same galaxy as the guys you are trying to pull.

if anything do the legends style setup up and have a novice/open division for 100 bucks or something same events lighter weights and expectations. Might get more folk 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I play it now. Even going as far as starting to paint miniatures because fun..

As for the contest though. OP is within my bubble of acceptable distance of travel, but like Rhindo the Bindo. Not chucking an additional 250, on top of the other costs to get slaughtered. Gotta pick my fights, I cant even compete with the bunch we have, Im not even in the same galaxy as the guys you are trying to pull.

if anything do the legends style setup up and have a novice/open division for 100 bucks or something same events lighter weights and expectations. Might get more folk 

That’s actually a great idea, man.

15 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Thinking about the entry fee to go get slaughtered by high level guys had me think of this clip Shawn lol

• Haha 1

Thank you for everyone's input, I will post again in a new thread when details of the contest are finalized.  Look for something to come out in the next few months.  This is not an invitation only contest, everyone is welcome to register and compete, but please understand that the contest will not be toned down in the challenge of the events or entry fee.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't do this, I suspect most other light guys would not be interested. I could just send Jedd a check and save my energy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the comp is a great idea, but it's not for me. I have no hope of winning; I'd have no hope of winning if you accidentally recorded my weight as 100 pounds lighter than it is and let me compete with the lightweights. I guess the question is how optimistic your average gripster is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Irony being that it was/has never been that big. Those patties are atleast an ounce. Ive seen more meat on a mummy. 

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes totally 

Its a travesty. Like not having the mcrib on menu permanently or pogs going out of style. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

POGS? You mean personnel  other than Grunts? 

No, the most quintessential 90s toy

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1