Cash event in 2020

lder

Just now, KapMan said:

Thats because you're close, and I like looking at James’s biceps. 

Fair enough.  Glad we could accommodate on both counts 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

Fair enough.  Glad we could accommodate on both counts 

For real though. I freaking enjoy coming down and working out. Wish I lived closer. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lder said:

With a year or so it should be within the grasp, with committed focused training, of anyone who has a decent grip even if they can't do it now.   I just got one and realize that I have a long way to go, but plan to make some good progress and lift it by the end of the year.  How hard would it be to train to lift the inch if you had that much time? 

Dude there's people training to lift the Inch for 5 years and they haven't done it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Dude there's people training to lift the Inch for 5 years and they haven't done it.

Then we will see what happens, still shooting for this year.  I think it could also be a matter of how accessible the inch is to those trying to lift it.  If you train to lift the inch using a modified dumbbell, circus style dumbbell or revolving dead lift handle then your training is simulating but not actually replicating the lift.  I get it if you have a lower starting point or baseline and 5 years might not be enough, but can't believe that if a male competitor with above average strength would not be able to lift it if they had the time, desire and access to an actual Inch dumbbell.  However there are top end limits, like credit card setting a COC #4, but the Inch does not fall into that category.  

Edited by lder

6 minutes ago, lder said:

Then we will see what happens, still shooting for this year.  I think it could also be a matter of how accessible the inch is to those trying to lift it.  If you train to lift the inch using a modified dumbbell, circus style dumbbell or revolving dead lift handle then your training is simulating but not actually replicating the lift.  I get it if you have a lower starting point or baseline and 5 years might not be enough, but can't believe that if a male competitor with above average strength would not be able to lift it if they had the time, desire and access to an actual Inch dumbbell.  However there are top end limits, like credit card setting a COC #4, but the Inch does not fall into that category.  Then we will see what happens, still shooting for this year if possible.  I think it could also be a matter of how accessible the inch is to those trying to lift it. 

Many folks, strong folks, that have access to the inch regularly have taken many years to lift it or have not lifted it at all.... that’s why it’s considered such a feat, but, I hope you lift it in the time frame you are expecting and on the other side of the coin, don’t get discouraged if you don’t make that time frame.

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Yeah, that's like saying anyone can cert the 3.  Or just study hard and anyone can get into Harvard.  I DO think that people can often reach goals they THOUGHT were unattainable.  For some that may occur with the inch, or the 3, or Harvard.  But it is a little too general to say just about anyone can do any of those things.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, that's like saying anyone can cert the 3.  Or just study hard and anyone can get into Harvard.  I DO think that people can often reach goals they THOUGHT were unattainable.  For some that may occur with the inch, or the 3, or Harvard.  But it is a little too general to say just about anyone can do any of those things.  

Right! Then it would not be such a great feat at all. 

1 hour ago, lder said:

can't believe that if a male competitor with above average strength would not be able to lift it if they had the time, desire and access to an actual Inch dumbbell.

See above surprised comments.  I guess it depends on what you mean by "above average strength."  I am pretty sure that cc set closing a COC4 would be harder than lifting the inch, but I am also pretty sure most folks will never do either, whether they want to or not.

33 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

See above surprised comments.  I guess it depends on what you mean by "above average strength."  I am pretty sure that cc set closing a COC4 would be harder than lifting the inch, but I am also pretty sure most folks will never do either, whether they want to or not.

Took me 11 months of actual grip sport style training, in that time touching the Inch about 3x in that total time when I visited Jedd  to lift it to a full lockout... and was able to “float” it the first time I touched it...but I would NOT consider that  the norm.... this is not the case for most people and I would never say that (most) strong people can achieve it in a year. Would be nice to do a survey on all known inch lifters ( evidence of lift) how long it took them to achieve a full lockout lift. 

Edited by Guest

Some athletes can lift it first time they touch one.  Usually they either have massive hands or are high level climbers or arm wrestlers. 

Many will never lift it, no matter how hard they try.  I am far from elite, but I'd say I'm comfortably in the top 25% of gripsters out there.  My right hand is a smidge under 8".  I've been working toward an Inch lift for years.  I was able to get a half lift for the first time just this past weekend.  Then again I'm old as dirt.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

/\ Methuselah's older brother up there./\

Quiet dad.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

In about a year when you’ve certed the 3 and lifted the Inch this post is going to be even funnier. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lder said:

Then we will see what happens, still shooting for this year.  I think it could also be a matter of how accessible the inch is to those trying to lift it.  If you train to lift the inch using a modified dumbbell, circus style dumbbell or revolving dead lift handle then your training is simulating but not actually replicating the lift.  I get it if you have a lower starting point or baseline and 5 years might not be enough, but can't believe that if a male competitor with above average strength would not be able to lift it if they had the time, desire and access to an actual Inch dumbbell.  However there are top end limits, like credit card setting a COC #4, but the Inch does not fall into that category.  

I pretty much use a inch wrench and I can lift the inch with only 10 pounds of deload. James Retarides has access to an inch more then I do and regularly lifts 90s on the wrench and has been struggling to lift it. Its crazy to me, that a guy whose way stronger then me has such a hard time with it, yet Im getting closer and touch the thing once or twice a month.. The man has arms like bridge beams and wrists made of cabling designed to tug the moon out of orbit. Someone explain this shit for real.

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I pretty much use a inch wrench and I can lift the inch with only 10 pounds of deload. James Retarides has access to an inch more then I do and regularly lifts 90s on the wrench and has been struggling to lift it. Its crazy to me, that a guy whose way stronger then me has such a hard time with it, yet Im getting closer and touch the thing once or twice a month.. The man has arms like bridge beams and wrists made of cabling designed to tug the moon out of orbit. Someone explain this shit for real.

James excels at Pinch and certain wrist work not thickbar. His hands are around my size but he probably focuses on Pinch more as opposed to me who focuses on Thickbar more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

James excels at Pinch and certain wrist work not thickbar. His hands are around my size but he probably focuses on Pinch more as opposed to me who focuses on Thickbar more.

Beats me at rolling handles too. About the only thing I think I got him on is axle, bottoms up keypinch. 

Im not sure about his training as a whole though, outside hitting that massive curl 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Are your hands bigger than his?  Hand size makes a huge difference on the Inch.  

15 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Beats me at rolling handles too. About the only thing I think I got him on is axle, bottoms up keypinch. 

Im not sure about his training as a whole though, outside hitting that massive curl 

After I saw what he posted on Instagram today my arm snapped in half on its own 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Are your hands bigger than his?  Hand size makes a huge difference on the Inch.  

This. As in, hand size makes a huge difference on the Inch.  Their hands are about the same size though.

Edited by jasonotto

1 hour ago, jasonotto said:

This. As in, hand size makes a huge difference on the Inch.  Their hands are about the same size though.

Yup im not that much bigger. Pretty sure a few mm dont matter. 

This hand size & the inch is so tired. Yves picked it up weighing 145 - get over it. It’s been done now by a guy with smaller hands than you smaller body than you. Done. 

One of my lifting partners in Minneapolis picked up the inch with 7.5 hands weighing 190. He lifted in grip nationals in 2012 and by 2014 videos on his yt picking it up. if you train your grip you can lift the bell. Tommy Jennings hands are smaller than mine (7&7/8) he lifts it. Riccardo Magni smaller than mine he lifts it. Matt Brouse has a shorter hand he easily lifts it. Bob Sundin lifted the inch weighing like with in a few pounds of it. It’s been done. I wish I had a better memory to name drop because I would fill this up with every unde 8” hand inch lifter and that would take some time to do. 

It’s been done. Take an inch bell to a rodeo or a Arm Wrestling meet or a climbing gym and watch someone pop up who lifts it on sight. 

The real question John is asking is who would be up a nice chunk of change for a grip contest? In or out? 

I am in for that. I would guess most of my friends in this game would be too. It’s a great idea to kick around. Who cares what the events would be? At the level of vision John is talking this goes well past a 15 guy meet. He’s east coast - how many strongman gyms, power lifting clubs, cross fit studios, commercial gyms, private studios are within day 2 hour drive of his venue? 

See a bigger picture of involvement. A 100 person meet under 1 roof would be a win for all of Grip, all federations, all equipment companies, blah blah- And if the winning pot is big it becomes an instant draw for even grander set ups. 

Best of all - John didn’t ask any of us to do anything other than would ya lift? So any useful ideas beyond what equipment you don’t like because youre not a top of leaderboard on?

Its been done, that’s the statistic you need. Every one of you can do it. 

Ives is an elite level climber.  

See my statement earlier about guys that can get it quickly or on first try:  Guys with huge hands and high level climbers and arm wrestlers. 

Nobody is saying smaller hands mean you can't lift the Inch.  Hell, I'm extremely close and have slightly sub 8" hands.  But I think we can all agree that, everything being equal, larger hands make it easier to lift the Inch.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

This hand size & the inch is so tired. Yves picked it up weighing 145 - get over it. It’s been done now by a guy with smaller hands than you smaller body than you. Done. 

One of my lifting partners in Minneapolis picked up the inch with 7.5 hands weighing 190. He lifted in grip nationals in 2012 and by 2014 videos on his yt picking it up. if you train your grip you can lift the bell. Tommy Jennings hands are smaller than mine (7&7/8) he lifts it. Riccardo Magni smaller than mine he lifts it. Matt Brouse has a shorter hand he easily lifts it. Bob Sundin lifted the inch weighing like with in a few pounds of it. It’s been done. I wish I had a better memory to name drop because I would fill this up with every unde 8” hand inch lifter and that would take some time to do. 

It’s been done. Take an inch bell to a rodeo or a Arm Wrestling meet or a climbing gym and watch someone pop up who lifts it on sight. 

The real question John is asking is who would be up a nice chunk of change for a grip contest? In or out? 

I am in for that. I would guess most of my friends in this game would be too. It’s a great idea to kick around. Who cares what the events would be? At the level of vision John is talking this goes well past a 15 guy meet. He’s east coast - how many strongman gyms, power lifting clubs, cross fit studios, commercial gyms, private studios are within day 2 hour drive of his venue? 

See a bigger picture of involvement. A 100 person meet under 1 roof would be a win for all of Grip, all federations, all equipment companies, blah blah- And if the winning pot is big it becomes an instant draw for even grander set ups. 

Best of all - John didn’t ask any of us to do anything other than would ya lift? So any useful ideas beyond what equipment you don’t like because youre not a top of leaderboard on?

Yes, I would lift.....

9 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Not everyone can do it. Those are facts. Also. Those guys you mentioned are outliers. You are talking small percentages. This anyone can do anything bs is as tired as the hand size debate itself. 

Thats like saying anyone can deadlift 1000 pounds, anyone can walk the dinnie stones, and any one can dunk on kobe bryant. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just measured my right hand that I can lift the inch with. It’s slightly less than 8 inches. My left hand is even less.

Trumpian!

TRUMP_HANDS_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2