#2 for reps - How many can you do?

Guest james

I can only do 1 rep on the #2. I just wanna know how many reps can you do on the #2? The maximum number of reps you can do on the #2.

Your reply would be appreciated.

JAMES

James,

I got it to within 1/8" of closing on my first attempt but can't do a full rep with it yet (only had it for a week).

My dad , who doesn't train his grip, closed it straight out of the bag.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really answer your post .. just wanted to share this with everyone.

Cheers

Ian

I can do 10 reps on the #2. Nothing big compare to David Horne who does over 30 reps at the end of a workout. But remember, repping a gripper is not a strenght builder. You will benefit more from singles,  strap holds, timed holds and negatives. As 3crusher once said, I don't mind if I can do only one rep on the #1 or the #2 as long as I can close the #3.

I think the rep thing is VERY individual.  I can only do about 4 or 5 on the #1 and I can grind the #2.  Of course, it may be possible that I have a very tough #1 and a very weak #2, but I really don't think so.  I have noticed the same during my regular workouts.  I just don't seem to have much muscle endurance.  In answer to your question, I can do 2 or 3 with the #2 and I can get the handles on the #3 to parallel.

Guest DavidHW

James:

For what it's worth, I can do 13 reps on my No. 2 (right hand) at the end of a workout. Never tried to max at the beginning, though. The only reason I even did high reps on the No. 2 was to measure my early progress before getting the No. 3. Now that I'm within 1/4 inch on the 3, I've stopped doing the "check" with the No. 2 and have focused solely on warmups with the No. 1 and towel holds for training, with one or two attempts per week at closing the No. 3.

Hope this helps.

David

Same thing for me. I don't use the #2 very often. I give the #3 two tries a week. I use the #1 for 3-4 warm up singles before the #3. My #2 serves for strap holds only.

How can we even compare?  Unless you know the in-lbs of the #2's you can't.

That's the facts.  Someone could be doing 10 with a 290in-lb and someone else doing 11 with a 250in-lber.  A BIG difference.  And, to think, without the REAL comparison it would appear lifter two with the 11 reps is stronger! NOT!

I have never been the one to be interested in "reps".  To me, reps don't build strength.  They are for show.  When I trained solely for crush strength - I felt I was moving forward in terms of my grip strength.  Besides, my fav #2 is really the BB Master..... different from an IM #2.  I say forget the reps, and train your grip using time holds, strap holds, negatives, etc.

James,

I managed my first rep with the #2 last night after 1 month of training with it.  Actually I managed a couple of singles - the adrenalin kicked in nicely when a got the first one!  

Amazing what a 4 day break from grip training and the introduction of STRAPHOLDS to my program made.   Perhaps you could take something from all this......

My training has been going well and I see no reason why I won't continue making improvements.....

Train Hard (but not too often???)

GM

James,

I just got my grippers back from PDA.  The week off was a nice rest, and I concentrated on other exercises.  The break must have helped, because I closed my # 2 (292in/lbs) for 8 reps, and almost got nine.  My goal with reps is 10, then I will reward myself and buy a # 3, and probably a BBMaster, too.  

Big goals, small steps, and enjoying the ride!

- Alan

Guest kINGPIN

I figured it would piss people off if I put this as a seperate thread because it is probably an FAQ.  But since u are all talkin about the #2, I just wanted to ask; when should I buy the #2?  I am just a fraction of a cm away from closing the #1 at the moment?  

I never did reps with a "2". I still don't.  

And with the discrepency in 2's and 3's it's pretty meaningless to pick a "number" let alone individual differences in the person.

Forget about X number of reps before getting a tougher gripper. If you can close a gripper, even for one rep only, get a tougher gripper and start working on it. So if you close the #1, get the #2. With the #1, you'll be doing singles, strap holds and timed holds. With the #2, you'll be doing negatives. Eventually, you will close that #2 and get a #3.

It has been said a thousand times but I'll say it again, forget about high reps for building strength. Train with several sets of low reps for as hard as possible. This principle applies to grip and weightlifting.

Train hard ... then train harder. You'll grow strong.

Guest CanadaCrush

Before I had my #3 I could rep the 2 about 20 some odd times. Now that I have the 3 and am a(n unofficial) closer, I can't do half the reps with the two that I used to. Odd how things work out.

-Mark

Guest kINGPIN

Thanks tou.  I hear what you are saying.  Even with my weight training I don't tend to go any higher then about 6 reps.  My problem is that at the moment I cannot afford the #2 so like you said, I will just have to do something like strapholds.  Whats the usual starting weight for these?  Or do I just start with the strap?

When you can fully close a gripper for 10 seconds or more, add a 2,5 pounds strap hold. Strap holds are VERY tough but they pay.

Good luck with your training !

Guest kINGPIN

I could'nt believe it.  Last night I had my second workout with the #1 and could totally close it for reps and at one point held it closed for about 5 seconds.  I've seen the strap you are talking about in my local hardware store and will be buying some soon.  I held it in the natural position for me last night without thinking and it was the position that, I think Barbender, suggested to me with the little finger half way from the end and it worked.