2019 Alexander Zass Bending Day

Donc101

David Horne is organizing this day to do steel bends to honor Alexander Zass.  The day is September 26, 2019.  We are getting together to bend at my place in Michigan. See the below post from David with all of the relevant info. Happy bending everyone!

Steel Shredder – Alexander Zass Day
Thursday 26 Sept, 2019

Apart from ourselves, others involved are:
Bryan Jones - Bristol, CT, USA
Lee Cummings - Millom, England
Don Cummings - Birmingham, MI, USA
Kirill Vankovich - St Petersburg, Russia
Reuben Cennin Hughes - Morfa Nefyn, Wales

I also had interest from Patricia Luxner (Austria), David Whitley, Tom Flesher USA, and Steffen Knaak (Germany). Still interested? Any others?

To honor the great Russian strong man Alexander Zass the community of steel benders around the world will get together and bend, break and sculpt steel! 
26th September is the anniversary of Zass’ death.

Record Breaker/Feat events day!
Choose from 1 to 3 events from either the ‘World of Grip’ world record or Grip Feat lists or in fact any other certificate bend or signature feat to celebrate Zass Day!
Everyone is invited!

Please organise any certifications and equipment well in advance with the companies. 
Tell me in advance what events you wish to try, and I will supply all rules for any World of Grip event.

Please video your performances and send me the link and also put them on facebook.

Juniors are welcome to participate, with parental permission.
Venue: Multiple venues all around the world.
Promoter: David Horne

If using World of Grip steel please ask me for a total cost including your shipping.
There is no winner; it’s about showing off your bending skills and having fun in honour of a great forebear of our sport.

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes and outdoor
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a few more locations for Zass Day. David Horne posted:

One week to go till - Steel Shredder – Alexander Zass Day

Thursday 26 Sept, 2019

It's going to be happening in these places so far:

Stafford, England
Los Angeles, USA
Bristol, CT, USA
Millom, England
Birmingham, MI, USA
St Petersburg, Russia
Morfa Nefyn, Wales
London, England
USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Gastonia, NC, USA
Caerphilly, Wales

@Horrido and @camz, are you guys going to get together and bend?

• Like 1

Don, I would have done this with you guys but have a meet next Saturday.  A really neat idea from David!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Don, I would have done this with you guys but have a meet next Saturday.  A really neat idea from David!

Should be fun Carl. We have a few guys coming over to my house. Powerlifting meet? Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Unfortunatley Carl and I can't get together for this bending day, because both of us have to work.

But really a nice idea and I wish everyone big bends and a lot of fun this day.

• Like 1

David posted on Facebook today:

Tomorrow is the Steel Shredder - Zass Day! Couple more pics of the great man. Thanks to Kirill!

Out of the many feats to be performed tomorrow, and these are just some I know of:
Reuben Cennin Hughes is hoping to finish snapping a cut down Goliath Bar!
Nick McKinless will be doing the Cerberus challenge in Los Angeles.
Kirill Vankovich will be attempting a Russian twist from Grade 5 bolts, and some snaps.
Simon P Armstrong will be performing a Zass scroll
Gary Stuart will be attempting the ManKiller challenge
Don Cummings and the guys will be having a get together. Really looking forward to seeing what happens there.
Other venues:
Bryan Jones in Bristol, CT, USA
Lee Cummings in Millom, England
Rob Blair in London, England
Jonathan Miller in USA
Michael Rogowski in Phoenix, AZ, USA
David Whitley in College Grove, TN, USA
And us in Stafford, England, where I hope to bend two 12mm bars taped together, and Snap an IM Red in a Neck Bridge!!

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and text

Image may contain: one or more people, text and outdoor

We had a great day of steel bending at my house for Alexander Zass Day.  Chris Stilwell, Andrew Pantke @Andrew P, Darrin @Darrin S and Amir Bayour all came over and bent.  Chris certed on the Bastard double overhand, which was awesome to see.  I certed on the Bastard reverse. That put me on the bastard in every way cert list. There were only 4 people on that list. I am joining Mike Hadland, Ben Edwards @bencrush, JT Strausner and Adam Glass @AdamTGlass on that list. I have always been impressed with people good at multiple types of bending. Thus, I am real excited to join that list with benders I have looked up to over the course of my bending journey. Also, I certed the 6” Bastard DU, the 5.5” Bastard DU, the 3/8 x 8” bar braced and the 25/64 x 8” bar braced. A really fun day!

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, shoes, shorts and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, shoes and outdoor

• Like 6

David posted on Facebook today:

Steel Shredder – Alexander Zass Day accomplishments on 26 Sept, 2019
Thank you everyone for taking part, and you should be proud of your achievements. I will sort all records and Grip Feats later. We had a wide variety of steel events; from the crazy to the innovative, and from the once-in-a-lifetime to the just out-there feats!
I think Zass would like this event, and we will do it again next year!

Kirill Vankovich in St Petersburg, Russia (Bw 94.4k)
1. Neck Bridge Snap (an IronMind Red) in 2min 19sec
2. Snap a Grade 8 bolt (Standing) [World of Grip 190.05k bolt] in 52sec
3. Snap a Grade 8 bolt (Lying on your back) [World of Grip 190.05k bolt] in 1min 13sec
4. Snap one kilogram of 300x8.8mm nails in 8min 30sec

David Horne in Stafford, England (Bw 97.65k)
1. Bent two x 10mm x 12” bars taped together [Batch 20/6/19 – 2 x 120.4k = 240.8k] Double wraps used.
2. Bent two x 12mm x 19” bars taped together [Batch 5/4/19 – 2 x 115k = 230k] Single wraps used.
3. Neck Bridge Snap (an IronMind Red) in 1min 9sec
4. Bent nails into the word ‘ZASS’

Elizabeth Horne in Stafford, England
10mm x 15” Cerberus Challenge in 24min 1sec
(Three 10mm x 15” thick bars [Re-Bar, EN3B crs & S275 mild steel] in one sitting)

Lee Cummings in Millom, England
Unbraced small nails snap 5 x 65mm (WOG) oval nails snapped in 3min 30sec

James Jackson in London, England
Bent a 16mm x 30.5” bar (184k)
Bent an IronMind Red to 14degrees

Sirko Petermann on the world’s longest suspension Titan RT, Germany
Snap a 6” nail (96k) in 21sec

Nick McKinless in Los Angeles, USA
12mm x 20” Cerberus Challenge in 31min

Bryan Jones in Bristol, CT, USA (Bw 67.3k)
1. Snap an IronMind Red Lying on your back in 13min 20sec
2. Wrestlers Bridge Snap (a 100k WOG 6” nail) in 1min 6sec
3. Double Underhand bend (a 100k WOG 6” nail) behind the back

David Whitely in College Grove, TN, USA
Bent a 1” x ½” x 48” HRS bar

Reuben Hughes in Morfa Nefyn, Wales
Snap a Goliath Bar (12mm x 40mm cut down to 40”) [S275 DHWOG steel] in around 120min over 6 sessions

Simon Armstrong in Caerphilly, Wales
One final bend short of finishing a Zass scroll (10mm x 25mm x 182.9cm, S275 steel bar)

Kirill Shuhovtsev in Zelenogorsk, Russia
Bent 12mm x 6” [S275 DHWOG steel] bar [Batch 5/4/19 – (8"=326K)] [Multilayer wraps used – 1st bends with 2 layers of firehose, and IM wraps inside, then just firehose, then 20” x 4” leather with crush wraps]

Michael Rogowski in Phoenix, AZ, USA
Snap a Grade 8 bolt in about 16min 30sec
Double Underhand bend some ¼” CRS stock and some timber ties.

Gary Stuart in Gastonia, NC, USA
Attempted the ManKiller challenge

Don Cummings in Birmingham, MI, USA
Achieved the FBBC Bastard Reverse style cert
Achieved the FBBC 6” and the 5.5” Bastard Double Underhand style cert
Achieved the Braced bend of a 3/8” x 8” FBBC King Bar cert
Achieved the Braced bend of a 25/64” x 8” FBBC Tsar of all Bastards cert
Lots of other bending with Amir Bayour, Chris Stilwell, Darrin Shallman and Andrew Pantke

Chris Stilwell in Birmingham, MI, USA
Achieved the FBBC Bastard cert

• Like 3

Awesome bending crew💪💪💪💪💪

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donc101 said:

We had a great day of steel bending at my house for Alexander Zass Day.  Chris Stilwell, Andrew Pantke @Andrew P, Darrin @Darrin S and Amir Bayour all came over and bent.  Chris certed on the Bastard double overhand, which was awesome to see.  I certed on the Bastard reverse. That put me on the bastard in every way cert list. There were only 4 people on that list. I am joining Mike Hadland, Ben Edwards @bencrush, JT Strausner and Adam Glass @AdamTGlass on that list. I have always been impressed with people good at multiple types of bending. Thus, I am real excited to join that list with benders I have looked up to over the course of my bending journey. Also, I certed the 6” Bastard DU, the 5.5” Bastard DU, the 3/8 x 8” bar braced and the 25/64 x 8” bar braced. A really fun day!

Great job, Don!  And thanks for the mention!  Sounds like you guys had a terrific day. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Great job, Don!  And thanks for the mention!  Sounds like you guys had a terrific day. 

Thanks Ben. It was a blast.

• Like 1

A lot of great bends were done at this get together. Don hit too many PRs to count including joining a short list of people on a Bastard in every way cert by FBBC.   Andrew Pantke worked up to a DO bend of a Bastard.  Amir Bayour worked on a Zass scroll.  Chris Stilwell easily got a DO Bastard Cert. Going to see some big DO bends from this guy in the future. I was having an off day for bending. I worked up to a 1/4in x 5in FBBC square DO. Only able to get it to 80 degrees, which has been my sticking point for a while.  Later I bent a St. Croix Polo horse shoe and kinked a St. Croix Lite Plain #3 horse shoe. Overall it was a great time and a lot of fun. Thanks to again Don and Andy for the advice. Thanks again Don for having us over.

• Like 3

Don, congratulations on the certs!  And great bending everyone!  Looks like you guys had a blast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Don, congratulations on the certs!  And great bending everyone!  Looks like you guys had a blast.

Thanks Carl! Always fun to get together and bend steel!

• Like 1