New bench world record - controversy

Mike Rinderle

Easiest WR press you'll ever see.  The spotters celebrate at the end instead of doing their job and bump the weight, almost killing him.  He obviously crushed the weight and I'm a huge fan, but it didn't get racked.  Even though it was the spotters' fault, I don't know that this should count.  Thoughts?

I watched this a lot and while I think he can do this weight it definitely isn't clean. His left hand dips down before the cleberating spotters lack of attention even becomes relevant. It looks like he managed lockout for an instant then dipped down with the left, tried to correct and then his right collapsed ultimately causing the drop. 

In their celebration which could end fatal they did the right thing. I don't know which is more devastating. This or the scenario when spotters touch weight and "help" on its way to rack. In both cases it is no rep.

• Like 1

They passed the lift.  It's the new WR.  But I hope he pushes it higher with a clean attempt.  Even though it was the spotters' fault, I don't think they should count it.  Bar didn't get racked.  He obviously is good for the weight, but it wasn't a complete lift.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I watched this a lot and while I think he can do this weight it definitely isn't clean. His left hand dips down before the cleberating spotters lack of attention even becomes relevant. It looks like he managed lockout for an instant then dipped down with the left, tried to correct and then his right collapsed ultimately causing the drop. 

His left arm dips because the freakin spotter bangs into the bar celebrating, which shifts the weight more to that arm.  Lucky he wasn't severely injured or worse.

What a joke. Why can't people do their job, is it that hard really?

Feel really sorry for this guy, he did a good lift and now because these incompetent clowns it will never be viewed as a clean lift.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

His left arm dips because the freakin spotter bangs into the bar celebrating, which shifts the weight more to that arm.  Lucky he wasn't severely injured or worse.

I watched it again with better sound and it looks like the rack command was premature, so now I don't think this should count. What a shame to have all his work put into question from stuff he can't control. 

12 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

From the IPL rules for bench:

4.3.10 Once the bar is paused and motionless on the chest or abdominal area, the audible command “PRESS” will be given. The bar must be pressed upwards with elbows fully locked. Any pronounced or exaggerated uneven lockout of the bar is not allowed. Note: If a lifter has any physical abnormality, handicap or incapacity of extending their arm or arms to arm’s length with elbows fully locked, they must inform and show physical, visual proof to the Head Referee prior to the start of their lift.
4.3.11 When the bar is held motionless in this position the audible command “RACK” is given. The spotters / loaders may assist the lifter in returning the bar to the rack.

There is nothing I see indicating disqualification for not racking after being given the RACK command. I couldn't hear the commands over the noise of the crowd, but if it was given while his arms were locked out I say the lift is good.

Well there you go.  Thanks for that.  If he got the rack command, it is a good lift.

No lift.  More context: his lockout is not really complete and controlled to me watching the video. He's off balance.  This caused the issue.

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

This!