2020 Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

Donc101

2nd Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship

·         Date: Saturday, May 2, 2020

·         Bending starts at 10:00 a.m., arrive by 9:30 for weigh-in, rules, etc.

·         Venue: Birmingham, MI

·         $40 entry fee

·         Message Don Cummings (@donc101) if you are interested in coming

·         Deadline for registering: March 15, 2019 (We need to know as soon as possible who is coming as we are ordering steel from overseas)

·         Reverse strongman scoring will be used for all events

·         There will be recognition for 1st through 3rd for: Steel Bending and Breaking Champion (all events scoring considered), Unbraced Bending Champion (events 1-3 combined),  Braced Bending Champion (events 4-6 combined) and Medley Winner.

·         Each section (Unbraced, Braced and Medley) will be weighted equally for the overall title.   

Events

Unbraced Steel Bending

1.    Double Overhand Bending:

·         DHWOG single pads.

·         2 attempts.

·         Bar bent to within 2 inches. Only completed bends score.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: All 6" steel, mainly rated DHWOG steel: IM Blue Nail, 166.3 kg grade 5 bolt, 190.05 kg grade 8 bolt, 218 kg crs bar, 233 kg crs bar

2.    Reverse Bending:

·            1 attempt

·            DHWOG single pads. Pads touching.

·            Bar bent to 40 degrees to be completed.

·            Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·            Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·            Bars available: Blue Nail, DHWOG Grade 5 Bolt rated 166.3 kg and DHWOG Grade 8 Bolt rated 190.05 kg

3.    Double Underhand Bending:

·         1 attempt.

·         DHWOG single pads. Pads touching.

·         Bar bent to 40 degrees to be completed.

·         Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available:  Blue Nail, DHWOG Grade 5 Bolt rated 166.3 kg and DHWOG Grade 8 Bolt rated 190.05 kg

Braced Steel Bending

1.    Spike Bending: 6” Bar

·      3:00 time limit.

·      Single DHWOG wraps.

·      Towel for knee/leg.

·       A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are within 2".

·      1 attempt.

·      Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·      A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins. Must be at least a 10 degree kink to score. 

·      Bars available: All 6" steel, mainly rated DHWOG steel: IM Blue Nail, 166.3 kg grade 5 bolt, 190.05 kg grade 8 bolt, 222 kg crs bar, 240 kg crs bar, 260 kg crs bar

2.    Long Bar Bending

·         5:00 time limit.

·         Single DHWOG wraps.

·         Towel for knee/leg.

·          A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·         1 attempt.

·         Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·         A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins.   Must be at least a 10 degree kink to score. 

·         Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round.

·         Bars available: 3/4 x 40", 3/4 x 44", 3/4 x 48", 5/8 x 32", 5/8 x 36"

3.    Mid Length Bar Bending

·      3:00 time limit.

·      Single DHWOG wraps.

·      Towel for knee/leg.

·       A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·      1 attempt.

·      Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·      A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins. Must be at least a 10 degree kink to score. 

·      Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round.

·      Bars available: 5/8 x 26", 5/8 x 30", 1/2 x 22", 1/2 x 26"

Steel Bending and Breaking Medley

This event will be worth more points for the overall title as it really is 4 events wrapped into 1.  The medley will include:

·         Long Braced Steel Snap

·         Short Braced Steel Snap

·         Lying Braced Steel Snap

·         Unbraced Steel Snap

1. Long Braced Snap

·         3/8" x 14" HRS bar = 4 points, 5/16" x 12" = 2 points.

·         Bend the steel bar back and forth till it snaps.

·         Wraps for protection for the hands will be the World of Grip 10" x 4" suede wraps. Single wraps only.

·         Padding to bend the bar over can be of any suitable material like a towel, but cannot contain any rigid components. You can strap the towel to your leg with tape or a knee wrap so that the towel stays in place. You can have a towel on both legs.

b.    Short Braced Snap

·         Red nail = 4 points, Grade 5 Bolt = 2 points, Blue Nail = 1 point.

·         The bar may be bent over the knee, leg, head, neck, stomach. The bar cannot be bent by the feet or on the floor.

·         Wraps for protection for the hands will be the World of Grip 10" x 4" suede wraps.

·         Padding to bend the bar over can be of any suitable material like a towel, but cannot contain any rigid components. You can strap the towel to your leg with tape or a knee wrap so that the towel stays in place. You can have a towel on both legs.

c.    Lying Steel Snap

·         Grade 5 Bolt = 4 points, Blue Nail = 2 points.

·         The bar may be bent over the knee, leg, head, neck, stomach. The bar cannot be bent by the feet or on the floor.

·         Wraps for protection for the hands will be the World of Grip 10" x 4" suede wraps.

1. Unbraced Snap

·         DHWOG Oval Nail Snap x 1 = 1 point.

·         Each person may snap up to 4 nails. 4 nails snapped = 4 points, 3 nails snapped = 3 points, etc.

·         You may use 1 DHWOG sued wrap.

·         The rules from David Horne’s page will be used.  See: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bhsarules.html

·         Also, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGKCbuhGeo8

You pick which bend/ snap from each category that you want to do.  You have 25 minutes to complete all bends/ snaps.  The most points win.  If there are ties, fastest time with the same number of points wins.

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 8

I am not sure of exact events, etc yet. It will be similar to last year, with DO, DU, Reverse, Braced and Snapping all being contested. Let me know if you can make it. It will be a blast!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I am not sure of exact events, etc yet. It will be similar to last year, with DO, DU, Reverse, Braced and Snapping all being contested. Let me know if you can make it. It will be a blast!

Awesome ... I am planning to attend.  Hopefully, some injuries heal up and I'm able to train closer to 100%  Is probably 90%/10% right now as far as going.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Awesome ... I am planning to attend.  Hopefully, some injuries heal up and I'm able to train closer to 100%  Is probably 90%/10% right now as far as going.

Awesome! It wouldn't be a bending comp without you in it. You have been to more than anybody! We need you so we can call it a bending comp. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

See the top post. I updated the events. Not sure on everything, but we will do long bar and mid length bar for braced. We will use DHWOG rules for reverse and DU and will be able to break records in those events.

Still deciding rules for DO and events for the medley. 

• Like 2

Looks like fun. Definitely considering it. So only 1 attempt for each event? So go for something really heavy to begin with, but something you know you can do because if you miss it you're done? Just wanting to make sure I understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PITTisKING said:

Looks like fun. Definitely considering it. So only 1 attempt for each event? So go for something really heavy to begin with, but something you know you can do because if you miss it you're done? Just wanting to make sure I understand.

It was a blast last year. You should definitely come. We would love to have you up here. The DU, Reverse and braced bends will be 1 attempt. However, partial bends count. Bars are expensive and the contest would be way too expensive with more attempts. It works good with partial bends counting. It is how DHWOG does contests. I am thinking about each person having one do over for the contest they can use on any event if they completely fail a bar. Not sure yet though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

This is my place holding post so I can find this thread later.

Hopefully you can make it next year Josh!

• Like 2

For DO, DU, and Reverse bending, what is the length, or max length you're including?Everything I've been doing this year is 8"+. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PITTisKING said:

For DO, DU, and Reverse bending, what is the length, or max length you're including?Everything I've been doing this year is 8"+. 

Everything is not set in stone but DU and reverse will likely be 6” and DO will be no smaller than 6” and no longer than 7”. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd just like to strongly encourage the use of the oval nails in the medley. Though they weren't my best event (man, did they give me a hard time!), I think they were a really excellent separator. Having to choose the other three implements at the beginning but being able to balls out as many nails as possible at the end of the medley really made for some dramatic moments in the first flight.

Mid-length bars are 36-15"?

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

I'd just like to strongly encourage the use of the oval nails in the medley. Though they weren't my best event (man, did they give me a hard time!), I think they were a really excellent separator. Having to choose the other three implements at the beginning but being able to balls out as many nails as possible at the end of the medley really made for some dramatic moments in the first flight.

Mid-length bars are 36-15"?

Hi Tom, those nails are fun. I hope to finalize the exact medley soon. It will be fun and brutal again! Mid length will be in that range. For your interest, will be some different lengths of  5/8”.

• Like 1

I really wish I could bend even a little, because I think it is super cool and would have a blast road tripping from NY with Tom and company.  But alas, I can only reverse bend, and only up to about a 60-D, and I am not doing a 10-12 hour road trip just to watch.

Have fun, guys!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I really wish I could bend even a little, because I think it is super cool and would have a blast road tripping from NY with Tom and company.  But alas, I can only reverse bend, and only up to about a 60-D, and I am not doing a 10-12 hour road trip just to watch.

Have fun, guys!

Thanks Vinnie. I bet Tom could work with you and get your bending up. Contest is very beginner friendly. We had a couple new guys last year who learned a ton and had a blast. The experienced guys really help the newer ones. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Have fun, guys!

You bend horseshoes! And.... paperclips.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

You bend horseshoes! And.... paperclips.

Two horseshoes.  Easy ones.  But yes, LOTS of paperclips!  I own those.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Don, things are finally getting back to “normal” health-wise.  All of the bicep and forearm pain has been better the past few weeks.  So this looks like something I will devote all of the early/mid-year training too again.  Last year was a blast!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Don, things are finally getting back to “normal” health-wise.  All of the bicep and forearm pain has been better the past few weeks.  So this looks like something I will devote all of the early/mid-year training too again.  Last year was a blast!

Great to hear Carl! Very happy you are feeling better. It is going to be a blast again! 

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of fun but personally I'm not planning on going, so from the peanut gallery: maybe add 5-10 bucks to the entry fee and do 2 attempts on unbraced bars? Get a safe bend in and then shoot for something at your limit or a bit further.

Totally get that cost is prohibitive on the  braced bend though.

32 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Sounds like a lot of fun but personally I'm not planning on going, so from the peanut gallery: maybe add 5-10 bucks to the entry fee and do 2 attempts on unbraced bars? Get a safe bend in and then shoot for something at your limit or a bit further.

Totally get that cost is prohibitive on the  braced bend though.

Thanks for your thoughts. There are multiple attempts for DO. Partial bends count for DU and Reverse, cutting back the need for more  attempts. This is how David Horne has contested bending for many years and it works well. Also, the bars available for DU and Reverse are pretty standard and are rated. Also, not tons of options. People should know where they fit in with the bars. Then, it is who bends it the farthest or fastest. I am thinking about a do over bend you can use in the contest if you miss a bend, you can drop to an easier bar. Everyone gets one miss and a second chance to use in the contest if needed. Much harder to set up logistics for bending comp than grip. Easy with grip, you just add more plates to see who is stronger.

Last year, everything worked great and it was a blast. You should make it up for the comp.

• Like 2

Yeah, makes sense. I just know what I can move DO, but reverse and DO it depends on the day and something might not go at all.

Maybe if I get into braced bending in time, I'll see if it works out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wobbler said:

Yeah, makes sense. I just know what I can move DO, but reverse and DO it depends on the day and something might not go at all.

Maybe if I get into braced bending in time, I'll see if it works out.

Get into braced bending in time. 

• Like 1