2019 Bonehill Grip Contest, Hotel Salpa Finland

AdamTGlass

At the Arnold Classic this year The decision was made to go to Finland to lift. We had so much fun hanging out with Team Finland it was a no brainer. 

My wife & I arrived Saturday morning and stayed in an airbnb in Espoo west of Helsinki for 2 days then travelled north to Aurtos home town of Luumaki. We stayed in a gorgeous log cabin in the woods. During the week I had 2 easy lifting sessions with a few of the local guys and enjoyed the week grilling meats. 

Saturday morning Ashley & I along with Dr Mike Nelson and his wife Jodie drove out to Hotel Salpa. The resort is beautiful, situated on a cliff overlooking a huge lake. 

I was set to lift in the 105 kg class, weighed in at 95 kg. After weigh ins I had a chance to meet dozens of people who I have only had online contact with. The number of competitors was tremendous- almost 50. 3 classes of ladies and 4 classes of men all with at least 5 per flight. The largest was men’s open with 17. 

Events for the contest were the World of Grip gold bar pinch, double overhand axle, Finnish Ball key pinch and single hand fbbc 2.5 crusher. 

My gold bar lift was 31.something. In training I have had a few lifts with 33.5 kg but that went out the window when I tore a huge hole in my left middle finger last week of July. I was happy with anything above 28 kg...31 👌. Timo Lattimus took 1st place for 105 with a fantastic 35 kg pinch. A few of the lighter classes had records set- I don’t know the exact specifics. 3rd Place finish for me. 

Axle is one of my top events. My goal lift was a solid 195 kg and shoot at 200. I made a great 185 kg and dropped 190 at the top. 1st place for 105 kg and one of the heaviest axle lifts for the contest. Ashley & Jodie both earned medals for their class as well. 

Finnish Ball went exactly as I wanted. I got 38.85 kg and jumped to 41.35. I couldn’t reach the crossbar but that was enough to secure 1st Place finish. Ashley set a new women’s world record for her class with a 21.something kg lift which was like 9kg more than she ever lifted in practice. 

Crusher was tough on everyone. We started it at 5 pm and it was obvious the long day was wearing on everyone. Thomas Larsen took 1st with a 96 kg lift I was at 3rd place. 

4 medals for 105, 3rd Place overall in open ranking. My preparation for the contest was on point. 

Aurto executed a fantastic contest. This was one of my very favorites. The draw so impressive. I believe 8 or 9 countries represented.

As an American who loves arm lifting & Grip Sport - It’s clear to me the USA is not leading the way in application of the sport as much as we are talking about it. I think the overall level of competition in Europe is very strong. 

For those who want to stay in a beautiful country and lift against a tough group of competitors Bonehill 2020 is the place to be. 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 10

Very impressive showing Adam. Great job on the Finnish Ball, too! Much respect to you for going over to Finland and competing.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen 👍 I know you guys both travel to lift- strongly endorsing this one for next year. 

The cabin we stayed in comfortably sleeps 10- we are 4 confirmed so room if you want to bbq and sit in the perfect 75 degree sunny days with my boring ass 👍👍

454ADFF4-8BD5-4A24-9D55-BAFEFB470F1B.jpeg

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

At the Arnold Classic this year The decision was made to go to Finland to lift. We had so much fun hanging out with Team Finland it was a no brainer. 

My wife & I arrived Saturday morning and stayed in an airbnb in Espoo west of Helsinki for 2 days then travelled north to Aurtos home town of Luumaki. We stayed in a gorgeous log cabin in the woods. During the week I had 2 easy lifting sessions with a few of the local guys and enjoyed the week grilling meats. 

Saturday morning Ashley & I along with Dr Mike Nelson and his wife Jodie drove out to Hotel Salpa. The resort is beautiful, situated on a cliff overlooking a huge lake. 

I was set to lift in the 105 kg class, weighed in at 95 kg. After weigh ins I had a chance to meet dozens of people who I have only had online contact with. The number of competitors was tremendous- almost 50. 3 classes of ladies and 4 classes of men all with at least 5 per flight. The largest was men’s open with 17. 

Events for the contest were the World of Grip gold bar pinch, double overhand axle, Finnish Ball key pinch and single hand fbbc 2.5 crusher. 

My gold bar lift was 31.something. In training I have had a few lifts with 33.5 kg but that went out the window when I tore a huge hole in my left middle finger last week of July. I was happy with anything above 28 kg...31 👌. Timo Lattimus took 1st place for 105 with a fantastic 35 kg pinch. A few of the lighter classes had records set- I don’t know the exact specifics. 3rd Place finish for me. 

Axle is one of my top events. My goal lift was a solid 195 kg and shoot at 200. I made a great 185 kg and dropped 190 at the top. 1st place for 105 kg and one of the heaviest axle lifts for the contest. Ashley & Jodie both earned medals for their class as well. 

Finnish Ball went exactly as I wanted. I got 38.85 kg and jumped to 41.35. I couldn’t reach the crossbar but that was enough to secure 1st Place finish. Ashley set a new women’s world record for her class with a 21.something kg lift which was like 9kg more than she ever lifted in practice. 

Crusher was tough on everyone. We started it at 5 pm and it was obvious the long day was wearing on everyone. Thomas Larsen took 1st with a 96 kg lift I was at 3rd place. 

4 medals for 105, 3rd Place overall in open ranking. My preparation for the contest was on point. 

Aurto executed a fantastic contest. This was one of my very favorites. The draw so impressive. I believe 8 or 9 countries represented.

As an American who loves arm lifting & Grip Sport - It’s clear to me the USA is not leading the way in application of the sport as much as we are talking about it. I think the overall level of competition in Europe is very strong. 

For those who want to stay in a beautiful country and lift against a tough group of competitors Bonehill 2020 is the place to be. 

Elaborate.

Just now, KapMan said:

Elaborate.

Participation numbers. Show me a USA contest with that many attending. That high of a skill level, that many WR set. These people take it seriously and they love it. I would like if any of the other Americans who came out share their opinion- this was the friendliest group I’ve ever seen. 

9 countries had attendees - to fair that conus is bigger than Europe - how many USA contests have 8-9 state attendance including overseas travelers? 

Its a not point to to talk about as much is a point to do more about imo 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I'd probably do Finland next year if my divorce is settled in time to book, but I'm not doing anything expensive until the divorce is final and my lawyer is paid.  And I think when I retire from prosecution (locking up the bad guys on a teacher's salary) in 2031, I may go into divorce law:  $400/hour to do some arithmetic.  Badly.  Sheesh.

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I'd probably do Finland next year if my divorce is settled in time to book, but I'm not doing anything expensive until the divorce is final and my lawyer is paid.  And I think when I retire from prosecution (locking up the bad guys on a teacher's salary) in 2031, I may go into divorce law:  $400/hour to do some arithmetic.  Badly.  Sheesh.

400 bucks an hour, 75% given to the communist state of NYC. I do not miss them days, Vincenzo!

5 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

@AdamTGlass is the Bonehill  comp participation by invite only?

No it’s open registration 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KapMan said:

Elaborate.

Adam,

50 competitors is an unbelievable turn out. I have always been envious of the way strength sports of all kinds have been treated in European countries. They are very popular and many even have government stipends to perform. Very jealous of that.  

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

400 bucks an hour, 75% given to the communist state of NYC. I do not miss them days, Vincenzo!

I don't live in NYC and neither does my lawyer, and of course it isn't quite 75% or communist lol, BUT the city income tax IS one of the reasons I won't move into the city, since I do work there and it would be easier.  The other reason is that I don't want to pay $2500 rent for a 10 x 15 studio with an efficiency kitchen.

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't live in NYC and neither does my lawyer, and of course it isn't quite 75% or communist lol, BUT the city income tax IS one of the reasons I won't move into the city, since I do work there and it would be easier.  The other reason is that I don't want to pay $2500 rent for a 10 x 15 studio with an efficiency kitchen.

You don’t live in one of the 5 boroughs that make up NYC?  Comrade DeBlasio has you guys in a death grip down there.  I can’t tell you how happy I am to have escaped them clutches.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You don’t live in one of the 5 boroughs that make up NYC?  Comrade DeBlasio has you guys in a death grip down there.  I can’t tell you how happy I am to have escaped them clutches.

I don't live in one of the boroughs, nope.  Suffolk County (50 miles away).  Gonna move closer when divorce is final and I get my mo-nay (ex has to buy me out of the house we own), but not moving into NYC.  Just closer to it.  And I hate DeBlasio, too.  Bloomberg was the man.