Tried the bar hang challenge at the fair today...

Eric Roussin

Today I tried to hang from a bar for two minutes to win a huge prize at the fair. I estimate the diameter of the bar was about 1.5”. At my current weight of 210 lbs, I knew it wouldn’t be easy. I was right: I only managed to hang for a minute and fifteen seconds. I didn’t have chalk and I trained thick bar last night, but even in ideal conditions I think I would struggle to hold on for more than a minute and a half. The first minute felt fine, but then my left hand grip started to slip just slightly. Once that happened, I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold on much longer. 

Though I was disappointed with my performance, I enjoyed the challenge and will likely try it again next year.

• Like 9

That's not a bad time for  a first attempt, I was doing double bodyweight pullups a few years  ago and even though I had reasonable grip strength, I,d never trained for strength  endurance and I got about the same hang time as you at a bodyweight of about 180lbs.

Was it a fixed bar or a rolling bar mounted on bearings?

23 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Was it a fixed bar or a rolling bar mounted on bearings?

Fixed bar.

I occasionally run a 2 inch thick bar hang as a monthly challenge in my gym. It gives the smaller lifters a chance to win, which they appreciate. Pretty fun too. You get to go deep into your discomfort. One of my guys got 2:59 which was pretty freaking awesome.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, terminal said:

I occasionally run a 2 inch thick bar hang as a monthly challenge in my gym. It gives the smaller lifters a chance to win, which they appreciate. Pretty fun too. You get to go deep into your discomfort. One of my guys got 2:59 which was pretty freaking awesome.

2:59!! Wow. I'll never get even close to that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terminal said:

That’s an incredible time!

• Like 1

Smaller guys definitely have an advantage for this sort of thing. It got me thinking of a man vs beast challenge I saw years ago on YT.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

I have done 1 minute 50 sec hanging from a fixed rather thin bar (probably around 25mm) with one hand. Pretty sure I could do 2 minutes as my grip is stronger and my bodyweight lighter.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see what some of the world class rock climbers could do - especially at their light body weights.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

It would be interesting to see what some of the world class rock climbers could do - especially at their light body weights.

Basically so long that they'd get bored I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

On a standard bar I have done just over 9 minutes, I also rested by going one handed for periods and alternating. I have seen people do this for almost twenty minutes. I don't even think I'm good at this since I primarily boulder. I bet of this was commonly contested there would be people hitting half an hour. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

Climber511. What a guy.

Posting on the Forum on the morning of his 71st Birthday. Happy Birthday!!!😎:rock:mosher👍

• Like 4

This made me really interested to try. I will try it the next workout, I just realized I have never tried a deadhang until my grip fails. I know I've done a little over a minute once but that wasn't to failure. I was a few kg's lighter when I did that tho.

I weigh about 270lbs. Last week I started dead hanging in the morning when I wake up. I don’t go until failure, but I hang until it’s uncomfortable enough that I don’t want to push anymore. I went from hanging for 35 seconds to over a minute in less than a week. When I get to two minutes I’m going to start putting my fat gripz on the bar. It seems like a cheap and easy way to increase grip endurance. Plus my back pops every morning and feels great

7 hours ago, climber511 said:

A climber did 15+ minutes on a bar hang...not sure of their name

Edited by Lucasraymond

4 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

A climber did 15+ minutes on a bar hang...not sure of their name

That was tanner, with 350 attached and SB 2.5 with his feet too. Theres nothing tanner cant do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tried this today. Did 1.30 and then I had to let go becuase I was starting to sweat and I had to go to work.

I think I could do 2 minutes for money. Definitely nothing I would do in my training though. I would do timed hangs for 30 seconds max I think, add weight and build endurance and strength that way. 

To me this feels more about pain tolerance than anything else, of course if the diameter of the bar is thicker, grip will come in to play as well. If a person was hanging on for his life I bet pretty much anyone could hang 5+ minutes becuase of the adrenaline rush. Unless you're very heavy of course.

20 hours ago, Squeezus said:

This is the man you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/user/heibiondo83
He has a climbing background and can hang for over an hour.

Yep thats the guy...i was way off on the time though...88 minutes

Tazio hanging for 88 minutes includes "hanging rest". People who are very strong and light-weight use this technique to hang for a very long time, as one hand/arm/shoulder/back is "resting" while the other bears the load. If they use both hands and never let go of the bar with either hand, they can't hang for nearly as long.

Here is the same Tazio doing 10 minutes without hanging rest. Still an inhuman time to hang from a bar: 

• Like 1

Did this at Dan Cenidoza's comp last year.  Standard pullup bar, so I'm guessing 1.25".  Got 1:58.  Almost died.  True story.

• Like 1

I just remembered I did a dead hang challenge a few years ago for a Reddit competition. This was on a regular pull up bar (same diameter as a oly barbell). About 20lbs heavier than I am right now.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I just remembered I did a dead hang challenge a few years ago for a Reddit competition. This was on a regular pull up bar (same diameter as a oly barbell). About 20lbs heavier than I am right now.

Not many on the planet have Gil’s all - around WC grip game!! People sometimes forget this man is a destroyer of grippers, blobs, pinch and was over 400 axle at 93k weight class. Not to mention I regard him as the best hubber in North America (plate hub, IM hub, shallow hub)