What's the deal with blobs?

Aleksandar Milosevic

I never saw a blob in my life, and I'm probably super delusional because of it, but I'm looking for some information.

I've looked at the Silarukov site, and the heaviest blob is 24 kg. It's probably pretty wide, but to me it seems I'd lift it the 1st time I try it.

So the question is: what are your best pinch lifts, and what blob can you lift at the moment or you have lifted in the past, I'm trying to find at least some correlation and to hear from you guys, what makes it so hard.

I think that my rested max on the NN pinch blocks (2" x 5") is ~90 kg. I've managed to pinch 2 x 20 kg rubberized plates one handed.

Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I never saw a blob in my life, and I'm probably super delusional because of it, but I'm looking for some information.

I've looked at the Silarukov site, and the heaviest blob is 24 kg. It's probably pretty wide, but to me it seems I'd lift it the 1st time I try it.

So the question is: what are your best pinch lifts, and what blob can you lift at the moment or you have lifted in the past, I'm trying to find at least some correlation and to hear from you guys, what makes it so hard.

I think that my rested max on the NN pinch blocks (2" x 5") is ~90 kg. I've managed to pinch 2 x 20 kg rubberized plates one handed.

Thank you in advance.

Never tried a blob either but try to pinch the bottom of a steel kettlebell and you will find already at 16-18kg it will be difficult! 

1 minute ago, Lennix said:

Never tried a blob either but try to pinch the bottom of a steel kettlebell and you will find already at 16-18kg it will be difficult! 

I think it would be a lot harder to do it with a KB, since it has no straight edges, and it's a lot more slopped, but it's a good idea. 

Hand size is a huge factor and blobs are wider than any commonly used pinch device which greatly increases the difficulty. I think indeed you are delusional and won't be able to budge a 24kg blob on your first try, there's a reason that it's an elite feat. 

10 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Hand size is a huge factor and blobs are wider than any commonly used pinch device which greatly increases the difficulty. I think indeed you are delusional and won't be able to budge a 24kg blob on your first try, there's a reason that it's an elite feat. 

That's probably right, but I'm just looking for a correlation, to see what people that can lift the blob can do on other, more conventional lifts that are more accessible. 

My hand spread is 24 cm/9.44 inches from top of my thumb to top of my middle finger.

I'm asking this, since in my country those kind of dumbbells don't exist, and I probably won't see a blob for a long time, so I'm only using conventional devices of developing and testing grip strength, which are more than enough for elite gains.

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

A lot depends on Hand geometry and the Blob and its Surface. But if your Hands and your Hand span is not big and the York Fatman is smooth, it is a life time Task to lift it. 

• Like 2

Take 5 pieces of 5 kg steel plates and try to pinch them. That should be easier.

It's not only the width of the blob that makes it so hard it's the shape of it, plus some of them are very slick as well. 

If you want to train for it, build a block that has the same shape and dimensions.

I don't think you can really compare normal pinch and blobs. Blobs are very wide and have slopes that make them a lot more difficult than other pinching. Texture can be a huge factor too as others have mentioned. Best comparison would be wide pinch exercises but even those are very different lifts. Pinching 5 10's (or 5kg's) would be close width-wise but still wouldn't have those awkward curved slopes that blobs have.

• Like 3

I’ve lifted my 2nd gen York blob (which weights about 51lbs) pretty easily and I’ve picked up a half 120 York legacy blob with some difficulty. Tried a blobzilla once and could do anything with it. I’ve lifted over 110lbs on the Ironmind Pinch block and about 106 on the Flask. Barrel Strength systems has a blob trainer that gives a pretty accurate comparison to a blob pound for pound. 

• Like 2

I find 5 - 5k steel plates ( something you may be able to try) about the same as my 45# York Blob.  A 50# York Blob (the historical feat) is somewhat harder in my estimation.  This is a feat where hand size and surface texture does make a difference.

You could always stack some plates together with wood discs on the outside that have a taper on them, to get an idea. Quick/easy garage project.

Thank you for all the responses, this is what I tried today with very fatigued hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odne0GSXCF4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrNGNJFadpI

Before someone asks me why I didn't use steel plates, they simply aren't used in my country, and the ones that are used, have some garbage shapes (double lip etc.) I've never seen a York weight here nor something resembling it.

I feel pretty good about these lifts and I might even get a 24 kg blob from Silarukov somehow. 

20 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Thank you in advance.

Just train your pinch. Thin, thick, medium. Blob strength will come and more.

If you can get your hands on a 55lb hex dumbell you can try to lift it inverted, probably has a similiar level of difficulty. Of course not the same as a blob but a similiar size block you will be dealing with. The two 20kg feat is an awesome feat so the blob is definetly a feat you could be shooting for. 

Edited by Viceversus
  • Like 1

I have a 103mm straight sided piece of steel that weights 28.4kg that I can pick up. My fatman is 100mm across the top, slopes outward and weighs 23.6kg. I can hold it for about 5 seconds on a good day, I get it off one edge when it's on the floor but I can't get it all the way off the floor. It's got good texture but those slopes are my nemesis right now. Also, my two steel 35 lb plates (31.3kg) and 92mm width are easier to pick up than the 28.4kg piece of steel.  I have two smaller blobs and the lighter one, about 1kg less is definitely harder than the heavier one. My hand just wants to slide off because it's so slick.

Width, texture and shape play a huge roll in determining level of difficulty in my experience.

I'm also almost through the KTA Blob 2 program, so hopefully that fatman will be mine soon.

Here's a link to a comparison I did to blob trainers that compares 5 different blobs and two different blob trainers. The one made by Barrel Strength Systems comes real close to the original and might be a good choice in your training. It's also really lightweight so overseas shipping won't cost you an arm and a leg.

https://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/products/blob-trainer

Good luck.

John Pavilonis

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies, and especially John for a very detailed explanation!

I'll just continue training hard, and when I get the opportunity, I'll see where I'm at on the real thing.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

.... to me it seems I'd lift it the 1st time I try it.

This is the deal with blobs. Like a lot of key pinch stuff, for example, the weights are low enough that the lifts seem approachable. They are in the space between challenging and frustrating. 

On 8/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Can someone who can lift it, give me a comparison, I know it's an abstract thing to ask. 

I own about 20 York’s and another 10 blocks of various sizes from half a 45 to 130. 

Blob lift is it’s own unique challenge. There are no other Grip event that is exactly like it and I can’t think of an “if you can do X then you can lift a blob” I have seen guys lift a blob who can’t close a 2 or axle 300...I know guys who axle 450 who can’t budge a blob. I personally two hand pinch 4 days a week and some weeks I can lift 275 but can’t lift my blob50...🤔🤷‍♂️

All blobs feel unique in sense of texture. No two I have ever lifted are exactly the same. Usually the exact weight is different and in a pinch friction lift that matters. I have lifted blobs in 6 states and 3 countries- everyone’s were different. 

It’s a very wide pinch lift on a sloped object. The sides will be different shapes inside to outside. Typically one side is easier to grab in than the other. 

Ignore the constant talk of hand size. I’ve seen huge hands not lift them and little hands toy with them. No matter what the opinion is you are stuck with the ones you’re born with 🤷‍♂️

The best blob lifters I have met are Tanner Merkle, Jedd Johnson, and Wade Gillingham. All have not only a longer finger but a wide span from thumb to pinkie. All very strong one hand pinch lifters and plate pinchers. 

Blobs are one of those things you catch or you don’t. Like grippers. Some people love them. Some hate them. 

The first time I was able to put my hand on a real original York blob I thought it was impossible. Within 4 weeks easy to lift. It’s always like that - at first so hard but with persistence mastery. 

My best lifts were 120 hex head , a York Farman at 54.5 with +15 lb loaded with a strap, and a mid shin blobzilla. My hands are 7 7/8” not small but not really large. 

Are you in the USA? PM me if you are looking for one because I have more than enough to lose a few. 

Edited by AdamTGlass
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

I own about 20 York’s and another 10 blocks of various sizes from half a 45 to 130. 

Blob lift is it’s own unique challenge. There are no other Grip event that is exactly like it and I can’t think of an “if you can do X then you can lift a blob” I have seen guys lift a blob who can’t close a 2 or axle 300...I know guys who axle 450 who can’t budge a blob. I personally two hand pinch 4 days a week and some weeks I can lift 275 but can’t lift my blob50...🤔🤷‍♂️

All blobs feel unique in sense of texture. No two I have ever lifted are exactly the same. Usually the exact weight is different and in a pinch friction lift that matters. I have lifted blobs in 6 states and 3 countries- everyone’s were different. 

It’s a very wide pinch lift on a sloped object. The sides will be different shapes inside to outside. Typically one side is easier to grab in than the other. 

Ignore the constant talk of hand size. I’ve seen huge hands not lift them and little hands toy with them. No matter what the opinion is you are stuck with the ones you’re born with 🤷‍♂️

The best blob lifters I have met are Tanner Merkle, Jedd Johnson, and Wade Gillingham. All have not only a longer finger but a wide span from thumb to pinkie. All very strong one hand pinch lifters and plate pinchers. 

Blobs are one of those things you catch or you don’t. Like grippers. Some people love them. Some hate them. 

The first time I was able to put my hand on a real original York blob I thought it was impossible. Within 4 weeks easy to lift. It’s always like that - at first so hard but with persistence mastery. 

My best lifts were 120 hex head , a York Farman at 54.5 with +15 lb loaded with a strap, and a mid shin blobzilla. My hands are 7 7/8” not small but not really large. 

Are you in the USA? PM me if you are looking for one because I have more than enough to lose a few. 

Adam, thanks for the detailed answer and your offer. No, I'm not in the USA, if I was, I'd just buy one, and probably meet up with some of you guys to train together. I'm in a country where I'm the only person training grip in a sport kind of sense. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Adam, thanks for the detailed answer and your offer. No, I'm not in the USA, if I was, I'd just buy one, and probably meet up with some of you guys to train together. I'm in a country where I'm the only person training grip in a sport kind of sense. 

Sounds like you are in great position to build a team! Introduce lifts to people and you’ll find interested parties. 

Folks don’t know this is a thing- I’ve never met someone who hates training Grip. They just don’t know how awesome it is because it’s not a well known thing yet 

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

Sounds like you are in great position to build a team! Introduce lifts to people and you’ll find interested parties. 

Folks don’t know this is a thing- I’ve never met someone who hates training Grip. They just don’t know how awesome it is because it’s not a well known thing yet 

A couple of my friends give it a try when I'm doing it, I'm encouraging everyone to try it in my gym, and most people enjoy it, but don't realize the importance of a strong grip. 

To me it's just insane to neglect the 1st link of the strength chain.