I've dreamt of being able to crush an apple with one hand - looking for a forearm routine and equipment recommendations!

Kikko

Hi all,

So it's been a dream of mine to crush an apple with a single hand for a long long time. I'd love a forearm routine I can add to my work-out schedule to help me achieve this and would love any grip trainers people could recommend for it and such!

Thank you so much in advance.

42 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Start training with grippers and do some training for finger and wrist extensors, that's all you need. Do both deep sets and wide sets on the grippers.

Also attempt to crush apples every other workout or so, regardless if you can do it or not. specificity is important

Hey, thanks a lot for both your answers. Are there specific grippers you'd recommend and how many sets/reps should I be doing on my crushing days?

50 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Just go with the captains of crush grippers. Which one is impossible to say as I can't know how strong you are currently. If you are serious with this and can spend the money I would go with T, #1, #1.5 and #2 to start with. The GHP 4 (another brand) would be better than #1.5 as progression between #1 and #2, but is slightly more expensive.

For sets/reps I would recommend doing the grease the groove (gtg) training method for the first few months. Gradually increasing the volume, doing only singles on your grippers, a couple of times a week.

Lets say  you can close the 1 or the T for a few reps, then you take that gripper and perform singles spread out during the day. Rest could be anything from 10 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how difficult the gripper is for you and the volume you can handle. To start with, lets say 10 singles. then you increase this gradually.

The singles should be good quality and smashed as hard as you can.

For example:

Monday: 10 singles

Tuesday: 12  singles

Wednesday: 14 singles

Thursday: 16 singles

Friday: 18 singles

sat/sun: rest

Then begin again with higher volume or a tougher gripper, preferably tougher gripper. But then you need to scale back the volume again. You can also file of the handle of your current working gripper a little to gradually increase the difficulty. This is probably the best choice to do before you move up a full gripper.

I would do this untill you plateau, which you will do after awhile.

Thank you so much for this. Really useful and helpful. So would you say that once let's say I get through a week with no issues, I up the volume so I'm doing two sets per day of x many singles? Then I up the tension and start again with only one set per day and such? Just wanted some further clarification about the the singles spread out across the day. Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I would say that after each week, file of the handle of the gripper a few mm and do the same volume or increase it if it feels really good. And as soon as you can use the 2 or the 1.5 instead of the 1, you do that. But untill then the 1 should be filed down as progression towards the next gripper.

10 singles would be 10 sets for example. You take the gripper, and you smash it down as hard as you can for 1 repetition. That is one set. Then you continue on with your day as usual and when you feel like it, you do one more set of 1 repetition. Spread out during the day. So at 10 different times day 1 you do 1 repetition. The whole idea is to perform the movement often, which demands that it is spread out.

It should be done with a gripper that you could do 5 reps or so with right after each other if you wanted to, but still you only perform singles. Since you arent repping out the gripper, this allows you to use it more often without tiring out. So you replace volume with frequency.

Grease the groove is about practicing a skill, and strength is a skill, the more you practice it the better you will be at it. 

The training here is about your body learning the movement and increase your brain-muscle connection. After that is done you should move on to other routines. But in the beginning this would imo be the best approach you can do.

Thanks again for all of this (including your photo). This is all so helpful. Very excited to getting properly started.

Edited by Kikko

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You mean like this.......

nothing special outside of regular staples of grip like grippers, thick bar and pinch.

Impressive strength! Nicely done.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:48 PM, Kikko said:

Hi all,

So it's been a dream of mine to crush an apple with a single hand for a long long time. I'd love a forearm routine I can add to my work-out schedule to help me achieve this and would love any grip trainers people could recommend for it and such!

Thank you so much in advance.

How old are you? I was doing it when I was 11(in 1999) or so. Not hard on a bigger apple if you dig your fingers through them. I bet you already can. But to crush a potato, now that is a different thing.