Lennix

My grip adventure

Lennix
32 minutes ago, Raymond said:

I reckon you'll be good for 150 on the bench soon Thom.

I've noticed you're doing a lot of volume in your warmup phase when you hit the bench. I don't know if you've got any issues that need that sort of warmup before you can start pushing hard but that seems like a lot of volume outside of an effective % of your 1RM compared to your other lifts. It must take quite a bit of time to work through all that each time you hit the bench.

High volume work in the early phases of a cycle is fine but as you get more advanced too much volume becomes a double edged sword, even if it does feel easy. If you do too much volume before you start lifting heavy your ATP replenishment capability diminishes and when you get to the sets of 5 and 3 at the end of the end of workout (your main working sets) your ATP cycle is working double time to meet the demands you're asking of it. I'd be tempted to trim the bench workout down (in the warmup) to take full advantage of the ATP cycle and get your working sets in while it's still at max efficiency.

Get warm, go hard and get out. 

I dont know anything about ATP, but ive been working out following Boris Sheiko and other "well known" program such as Madcow/stronglift and they all follow some kind of pyramid up to the working load at 60-70% of 1 RM warmup is everything below 60% they prepare CNS and get your body ready for the workload. My volume is very low with the training I'm doing atm. For big benchers in Sweden (Andreas Henning, Josef Eriksson, Eddie berglund,Alexander Eriksson to say a few) it's not unusual to be around 10 tons/ workout. So I'm not anywhere near max capacity volumewise before diminish return. But thanks for your input! 

• Like 1

Raymond

Yeah, I was in two minds about posting that Thom. I thought you may have been following a program .So my advice might have been a bit different from what you've read. My background was  coaching specifically for track cyclists and possibly a bit outdated, so maybe my take on things is a bit out of touch for powerlifting.

I'm not suggesting you should ditch the program you're on. It's just that you seem to be including a bit more accessory work than a standard power lifter normally does and I thought it may help you fit everything in and save a bit of time and energy for some of the other lifts. Take what I said with a grain of salt.

All the best mate, I still think you'll be good for 150 soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lennix
46 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Yeah, I was in two minds about posting that Thom. I thought you may have been following a program .So my advice might have been a bit different from what you've read. My background was  coaching specifically for track cyclists and possibly a bit outdated, so maybe my take on things is a bit out of touch for powerlifting.

I'm not suggesting you should ditch the program you're on. It's just that you seem to be including a bit more accessory work than a standard power lifter normally does and I thought it may help you fit everything in and save a bit of time and energy for some of the other lifts. Take what I said with a grain of salt.

All the best mate, I still think you'll be good for 150 soon.

I welcome and I'm thankful for your thoughts and ideas! Keep them coming :D But I think perhaps they might be outdated today its alot about volume (before deload and then peaking block) atm I'm doing something else then this, linear program. Take today as example, my work is 95x10x7 and before I do 20x20 40x10 60x5 80x3 those sets before is not taxing at all. 80kg is ~55% of 1rm

• Like 2

Lennix

Bench:
20x20
40x10
60x5
80x3
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10
95x10@13

Rolling thunder:
26x10
46x10
56x10
56x10
51x10
51x10

90kg slamball over shoulder! 

finally managed 10x7 on bench, time to add 7.5kg and start over :D

it felt like my forearms were about to explode on the RT. This is much needed work! Loved it. I'll pratt next time with 51x10x3 since 56 was to much. 

• Like 2

Lennix

Rolling handle 60mm (at home handle) 

21x10

31x10

46x10x5 

Bicepscurls rehab 

Home handle feels about 5-6kg heavier then the rolling thunder at the gym. 

• Like 1

Lennix

Bench:

20x20
40x10
60x3
80x3
100x3
117.5x3 stop
117.5x3 stop
117.5x3 stop

Squat:
20x5
60x5
100x5
140x5
160x5
180x5

Fatgripz
60x2 all sets 1 sumo and 1 conventional 
100x1
120x1
140x1
150x1 sumo PR

155x0

RT both hands
56x1
66x1
76x1
83.5x1 PR
86x1 PR

Biceps

So I've been doing RT with volume for 3 days in a row and then PR with fatgripz + RT. Happy with that. 

• Like 1

Lennix

Bench:

50x5x5 slow 

Lte + flyes 

5x5 slow 

RT

46x3

66x1

86x1 

88.5x1 (RH) PR 

Fgx 

100x1

120x0

120x0

120x0

120x1 lol 

Tried snatchgrip but was fried no good attempts. 

Thumbless Rolling handle toprolls in cc

10x5 

Biceps rehab 

• Like 1

AdamTGlass

Thom that’s a good RT lift 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Lennix
35 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Thom that’s a good RT lift 👍👍👍

Is it really? I see everyone pulling 100-120kg and I'm like fk I cant even pull 90kg.. 

It's not that I have trained for it anyway (until now) so cant complain about any number! 

Thanks! 

Lennix

Blockbuster pinch: 

26x10

31x8 PR (5LH)

36x1 

36×1

36×1

36×1 

Hub: 

20x1 

26x1 (LH)

26x1 (LH) 

So right hand was tired from the pinch and left was not. 

Second time with my new block, like it alot! Was hoping for more on the 36kg but the 31 amrap apparently made me to tired. 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

AdamTGlass
3 hours ago, Lennix said:

Is it really? I see everyone pulling 100-120kg and I'm like fk I cant even pull 90kg.. 

When say “everyone” you really mean like less than 25-30 competitors world wide. For example look at season rankings for Armlifting USA—- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRelihrSAu_mftNwH5HktX5fgJ_n8OZ-gxwbWBMoypxYE1X8vG9GkIgmjh1-bYFuvK8Ci70mweKcvY1/pubhtml

95% of the posters here for example are not lifting 100+ kg on a new legal spec RT.

Of competing lifters who train their butts off very few. If you’re comparing yourself to the top guys who have lifted for years (being so new to the sport) it maybe a painful first few years. 

For a first year trainee to grip you are making fantastic numbers and I think you will continue to improve- respect how hard a 100 kg lift is. You’ll get there but perhaps not as fast as you would predict. 

• Thanks 1

Lennix
26 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

When say “everyone” you really mean like less than 25-30 competitors world wide. For example look at season rankings for Armlifting USA—- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRelihrSAu_mftNwH5HktX5fgJ_n8OZ-gxwbWBMoypxYE1X8vG9GkIgmjh1-bYFuvK8Ci70mweKcvY1/pubhtml

95% of the posters here for example are not lifting 100+ kg on a new legal spec RT.

Of competing lifters who train their butts off very few. If you’re comparing yourself to the top guys who have lifted for years (being so new to the sport) it maybe a painful first few years. 

For a first year trainee to grip you are making fantastic numbers and I think you will continue to improve- respect how hard a 100 kg lift is. You’ll get there but perhaps not as fast as you would predict. 

Thanks for the link. Made me see things from a different clearer view then instagram. 100kg is a good number to strive for it seems and I still think 90kg is a good base level. I'm not in a rush to improve but i thought my RT was far behind as I got slapped in the face with me only doing 165kg with a straight axle. 

Thanks Adam!

• Like 1

AdamTGlass
21 minutes ago, Lennix said:

Thanks for the link. Made me see things from a different clearer view then instagram. 100kg is a good number to strive for it seems and I still think 90kg is a good base level. I'm not in a rush to improve but i thought my RT was far behind as I got slapped in the face with me only doing 165kg with a straight axle. 

Thanks Adam!

That’s why I like you Thom, you got a great attitude 👍👍

instagram is a highlight reel - ya never know how many misses they had before pulling it. What you can do in a gym on your time may not translate to a meet success. I’ve heard a lot of coaches comment Insta is ruining fitness and I tend to agree to a point. 

• Like 2

Lennix
6 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

That’s why I like you Thom, you got a great attitude 👍👍

instagram is a highlight reel - ya never know how many misses they had before pulling it. What you can do in a gym on your time may not translate to a meet success. I’ve heard a lot of coaches comment Insta is ruining fitness and I tend to agree to a point. 

👊

Yea, it started with yves 100kg lift then Sweden's strongest man pulled 110kg and today swedens third strongest pulled 120kg. I was like, man I got work to do xD 

I find instagram inspiring, it was the same for powerlifting. I was at 120kg squat and I saw people playing with 220kg. If they can do it so can I. I know I've got the genes it's all about the work! 

• Like 1

Lennix

Bench:
20x15
40x10
60x3
80x3
90x2
102.5x10
102.5x10
102.5x10
102.5x10
102.5x9

Axle:
70x1
110x1
130x1
130x1
130x1
140x1@10
140x1@10

Pendlay with axle:
60x10
100x5

Lat pulldown:
10x3

bench: 17 September my 10 rm serie looked like this(10 10 10 8 7 8 😎 so alot of improvement! 

axle: so my apollons was to easy before with tires and it being abit crooked where you put the weights. So I removed the tires and put the bar so the crooked part was pointing towards me which forced the bar to roll even heavier on my thumb. 140kg was max! Happy with that! 

• Like 2

Lennix

Bench:
20x20
40x10
60x3
80x3
100x3
115x1
120x3 ms
120x3
120x3@9.5 PR

Squat:
60x5
100x5
130x3
170x3
170x5
190x5

Rolling thunder
26x5
46x5
56x10
56x10
56x20 PR 

Bench: ive only done 120x3x3 twice before without stop so this is pr. 

RT: started Laine's 6 weeks 3 days/week 10x3

Forearms exploding after 56x20, happy to get it with both hands. 

• Like 4

Lennix

Blockbuster:
21x3
30x2
36x5 PR (1 left)
41x1 (0) 

LBH
41x3
53x2
65x1
79x1

#4 SB
4 0

I though I would be weak today since the RT volume yesterday but felt strong so played abit at home. Very happy with 36x5 pinch and also that I managed 4 seconds SB with #4. 

• Like 1

Ricochet
6 hours ago, Lennix said:

#4 SB
4 0

...I managed 4 seconds SB with #4. 

🤢Green with envy.

Lennix
2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

🤢Green with envy.

You will get there eventually! :D

8 seconds is my best, the trick is to put the handles back in your hand so you can get around the handle to begin the setting with your leg. 

Ricochet

Aim to! Once I break 60 seconds (Silver Bullet Hold) on both hands with my CoC#2 I'll move up to CoC#3.

Lennix
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Aim to! Once I break 60 seconds (Silver Bullet Hold) on both hands with my CoC#2 I'll move up to CoC#3.

What's the reasoning with the long holds? >30 seconds is mostly endurance and not so much motor. 

• Thanks 1

Ricochet
1 hour ago, Lennix said:

What's the reasoning with the long holds? >30 seconds is mostly endurance and not so much motor. 

Concur. Just wanted a minute hold on the CoC#2 that is all. Simply a time goal to chase after.

Hopefully
20 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Concur. Just wanted a minute hold on the CoC#2 that is all. Simply a time goal to chase after.

Maybe the fastest way there is working with the #3

• Like 2

Lennix
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

I agree with Hopefully, to increase endurance you also need a bigger motor. I noticed this very well since the last competition ran SB. 

I increased my SB on #3 with measly 5-6 seconds with 2 months focus, in hindsight I think I would have gained more with more holds on 3.5/4 mixed in. 

• Like 1

Ricochet
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Maybe the fastest way there is working with the #3

53 minutes ago, Lennix said:

I agree with Hopefully, to increase endurance you also need a bigger motor. I noticed this very well since the last competition ran SB. 

I increased my SB on #3 with measly 5-6 seconds with 2 months focus, in hindsight I think I would have gained more with more holds on 3.5/4 mixed in. 

Thanks for the advice gents. I'll surely mull it over. Cheers.

• Like 1