Lennix

My grip adventure

Lennix

I had the urge to squeeze some grippers last night. It didn't go to well, I also felt weak. 

#3 2 attempts on CCS both with 1mm left

#3 3 short rom reps, not sure if last was closed fully. 

But there was something positive from the workout! 

I used my left for the first time since the pinkie injurie first did like 30 reps with no name 1 dollar gripper without pain. And ended with doing like 10 mms reps and a couple of CCS closes with the #1.5 without to much pain.  

• Like 1

Hopefully

Isnt it time to lower volume soon and start doing just a few heavy singles for the comp? Or What's the plan? 

Lennix
2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Isnt it time to lower volume soon and start doing just a few heavy singles for the comp? Or What's the plan? 

Yea that's the plan! I'm not sure exactly what to do this week gripwise. I'm going to workout Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday this week and then my last grip workout will be next monday where I simulate competition (Axle - Pinch - SB - Medley) So my forearms/hands will get 4 full days of rest while I only do some benching. 

I think I'll do Axle next workout so it's furthest away from competition and only a few singels, perhaps push myself towards 170 without destroying my finger. Silverbullet on Thursday (think I'll go for #3.5 and 2 sets to get the last horsepower and Pinch on Saturday since I feel that's the least taxing before my pre comp comp. The only thing bothering me is that my "pre comp comp" says nothing since I dont have IM Apollons/IM Block hence I wont know where I am on the official equipment. But the good thing is that I get a feeling how how tired I will be after each event. 

Any thoughts? 

Raymond
5 hours ago, Lennix said:

Yea that's the plan! I'm not sure exactly what to do this week gripwise. I'm going to workout Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday this week and then my last grip workout will be next monday where I simulate competition (Axle - Pinch - SB - Medley) So my forearms/hands will get 4 full days of rest while I only do some benching. 

I think I'll do Axle next workout so it's furthest away from competition and only a few singels, perhaps push myself towards 170 without destroying my finger. Silverbullet on Thursday (think I'll go for #3.5 and 2 sets to get the last horsepower and Pinch on Saturday since I feel that's the least taxing before my pre comp comp. The only thing bothering me is that my "pre comp comp" says nothing since I dont have IM Apollons/IM Block hence I wont know where I am on the official equipment. But the good thing is that I get a feeling how how tired I will be after each event. 

Any thoughts? 

OK, so if I'm reading this right if you do your next axle session on Tuesday will you be going a full 10 days without an axle lift before the comp?

I don't know how your finger injury is going but 10 days without training a specific lift fbefore a comp is normally a bit long. Normally you'd want one session where you push reasonably hard without going all out in the last 5 days or so before a comp.

• Like 1

Lennix
9 minutes ago, Raymond said:

OK, so if I'm reading this right if you do your next axle session on Tuesday will you be going a full 10 days without an axle lift before the comp?

I don't know how your finger injury is going but 10 days without training a specific lift fbefore a comp is normally a bit long. Normally you'd want one session where you push reasonably hard without going all out in the last 5 days or so before a comp.

Yea, you got that abit wrong! Tomorrow will be my last training day on the axle but as I stated in the first part that I will do a competition day next Monday 5 days away from competition where I do all the lifts in correct order. 

Yea, finger is not good but working! The only thing that can be a problem is with the Axle, doing kettlebell lifts/pinching etc is no problem. I wont be able to do 180kg axle for sure tho (and that's what I pulled with ease the first time I tried it. Good thing is that on the competition I can do as many pulls as I like on the axel! That way I can start on 130kg and get a feel for the equipment and loose some stress. 

• Like 1

Hopefully
On 9/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, Lennix said:

Any thoughts? 

No thoughts, I would do the same thing. 

Perhaps do a quick and light bw workout at the hotel a few hours before the competition to wake you up. I don't know? The way grip is it seems like a good idea. 

• Like 1

Raymond

That sounds like a good plan then Thom.

I wasn't trying to suggest that 5 days of no training was ideal either, that's just getting close to the longest you want to have between your last session and  the comp. A young guy like you could even train reasonably hard 3 days before a comp and turn out well. Just don't go for any PR's in the last session and finish a bit fresher than normal.

I'm sure you will do well Thom

• Thanks 1

Lennix
2 hours ago, Raymond said:

That sounds like a good plan then Thom.

I wasn't trying to suggest that 5 days of no training was ideal either, that's just getting close to the longest you want to have between your last session and  the comp. A young guy like you could even train reasonably hard 3 days before a comp and turn out well. Just don't go for any PR's in the last session and finish a bit fresher than normal.

I'm sure you will do well Thom

Thanks for the input Raymond, all thoughts are welcome and I appreciate it :D

It's only 4 days of rest so I think it will be fine! I have young kids and good sleep is rare so I think it'll do me good + minor injuries will be really with it :)

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Lennix

Axle:
75x3
105x3
145x1
155x1
165x1
175x1
175x1.9
175x1
175x1 2 sec hold
145x10 PR

Bench:
20x10
60x5
87.5x10
87.5x10
87.5x10
87.5x10
87.5x10
87.5x10
87.5x10@9.5

Axle felt alright! Think I would have had 180-185. I stretched my pinkie earlier today and stretching it backwards felt really good, made alot of the wierd feelings in it go away. 

• Like 2

Lennix

Bench:
20x10
40x10
60x5
80x5
100x3
112.5x3 
112.5x3
112.5x3 

Squat:  
60x5
100x5
140x5
160x3 stop 
180x3 stop 
180x1 3 seconds stop 

Silverbullet 
35 27 27 

Kettlebell pinch deadlift 22x1 left 

• Like 3

Lennix

Lately I've seen so many videos of wrist workouts. Platecurls/wristplatecurls and I'm absolutely mind blown over how strong people are. I can't do anything with my wrist I feel like.. I can hardly platecurl 10kgs (well, can hardly curl anything with my right because of some tendonitis in my biceps tendon) but still, can't do it with my left either. So I'm figuring I need to start working on my wrist strength.. Not sure how to begin though.. 

• Like 3

Fist of Fury
4 hours ago, Lennix said:

Lately I've seen so many videos of wrist workouts. Platecurls/wristplatecurls and I'm absolutely mind blown over how strong people are. I can't do anything with my wrist I feel like.. I can hardly platecurl 10kgs (well, can hardly curl anything with my right because of some tendonitis in my biceps tendon) but still, can't do it with my left either. So I'm figuring I need to start working on my wrist strength.. Not sure how to begin though.. 

Just start slow and don't go too heavy. Good thing is to train the wrists in a circuit sort of bodybuilders would do with superset and trisets. There's six different ways you can work, so doing them all in a circuit will save you a lot of time and it will also force you to use appropriate weights to start with.

You can also start with a wrist roller, howerver, if you do that you also need to train pronation, ulnar and radial deviation of some sort.

Lennix
13 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Just start slow and don't go too heavy. Good thing is to train the wrists in a circuit sort of bodybuilders would do with superset and trisets. There's six different ways you can work, so doing them all in a circuit will save you a lot of time and it will also force you to use appropriate weights to start with.

You can also start with a wrist roller, howerver, if you do that you also need to train pronation, ulnar and radial deviation of some sort.

Which lifts will improve of this work except wristexercises?  Which exercises do you recommend in a circuit?

Also! Please answer my PM about shipping costs from Cannon ;) 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

Fist of Fury
1 hour ago, Lennix said:

Which lifts will improve of this work except wristexercises?  Which exercises do you recommend in a circuit?

Also! Please answer my PM about shipping costs from Cannon ;) 

Do exercises which suits you the best. It's about training the muscles and tendons, it's not about specializing in a certain event.

certification fee is 40$ for international. The rest depends entirely on you.

• Like 2

Hopefully

Good answer 

Lennix

Axle:

75x2

115x2

155x2

165x2

175x2 PR

80mm Pinch

16×2

26×2

31×2

37.2×2 PR

SB #3 

38 seconds 

Biceps + levering 

Talked abit with a gripsport veteran who told me to get more then 4 days of rest so did the competition events in the right order today. If I would have the same equipment my 2rm would have been my opening weight. But now we will see on the competition day how the equipment feels like. Happy with PR in 2/3 events!

• Like 1

Lennix

Won a random drawing on reddit/griptraining and could choose from a block or a hub. Was perfect since I don't have a hub. From Gorilla strength. 

To bad I'm resting before competition so cant try it out. 

• Like 1

Hopefully

The sledgewalk right?

Nice prize!! Looks like good quality 

• Like 1

Lennix
4 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

The sledgewalk right?

Nice prize!! Looks like good quality 

Yea! But its randomized so any entrance can win. 

It's super good quality and robust! 

Lennix

Bench:
20x15
40x10
Slow:
50x5
50x5
50x5
50x5
50x5

LTE + flyes 20x5x5 + 7x5x5 slow 

biceps and elbow rehab 

This is a killer workout. My pecs are destroyed. 

• Like 1

EricMilfeld

Nice!

But seeing that slooow movement I would have been tempted to run over and grab the bar to save your life. 😮

• Haha 1

Lennix
4 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Nice!

But seeing that slooow movement I would have been tempted to run over and grab the bar to save your life. 😮

Haha exactly my feeling, man someone is going to think I'm about to fail on 50kg... 5 times.. not bad to go 5 reps RPE 13 ^^ 

• Haha 1

Lennix

Swedish grip Open!

So it was finally time for a competition, spent the night in Örebro at Clarion Hotel and stuffed my face with pancakes for breakfast. Weighed in at 119.4 and clearly the lightest in my class(105+)

Event 1 - Apollons deadlift
Brand new IM bar that differs very much from the one in my gym. No knurling and very slippery, however, what bothers the most is that the magnesium david provide feels like baby powdee in my hands and I hesitate even using it for a moment. Pulls a few lifts and everything feels okay. 130 fly up, 150 also fly up. But then everything goes wrong, I fail at 160. The combination of wrong technique with the thumb and that that I try to lift it very very fast as I do with my home axle, not setting up my hands correct. I make some attempts but have no power. Crap fifth in that event. Next time - blow your hands to moisture the magnesium for better grip. Be calm and methodical get your hand around the bar properly and not just go down and jerk like today.

Event 2 - Pinch
I immediately feel that this handle fits me well, has started blowing on my hands to get a better grip with the magnesium which gives a good answer. However, I am the only one who rubs magnesium into the block which surprises me, it attaches well and the lift goes easy. Kalle Lane (12 times national) and I remain in the competition and lift the same weight. He goes up to about 41kg and misses with the left but takes it with the right. I boom pretty hard at that weight, so I become 2. Next time - lift with the offhand until its done  and then go strong hand at max. Skip more lifts.

Event 3 - Silver Bullet
I am therefore favorably tipped in advance and am drawn to lift last (same as in previous events). So the best time when it is my turn is 16 seconds, my PB is 39. However, I worry that the official SB might differ from my replica and since its 1 try only I'm extremely careful with the setting not to screw it up, lost some seconds there but since I know I will win if I just do a normal attempt I think it's worth it. The clock starts, 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 33. So have twice as much time as No. 2 in my weight class and win. In the -105 they had 2 really strong guys who did 32 and 31 seconds. I lived up the the expectation and finish first. Super happy with that. 

Event 4 - Medley
There are 25 different implements to lift, ranging from light blobs to heavy 25kgs. Plate pinch, rolling handle from crusher to 80 or 90mm. Meathooks, dinnie ring with light stone, europinch and much more. I identify my strategy quite fast, everything seems easy except for 4 items. 2x20kg pinch, blob50, 25kg blob and golden bar replica. I know with me that I have managed 20x2 pinch on several occasions and that only 1 guy so far managed to get it up. I started with that to earn a point few others get but I miss with a few cm to bring it up on the platform. Tries the blob50 but no luck there either. Throw up everything else. The heaviest Rolling thunder I miss with the right and get up on the left, think it's around 70kg only but it's my weakness. Meathooks were easy, europinch were easy. Getting problems with a wrist developer because I do not know how to do, however, get tips from a guy who roars further out on the handle and have it. The Dinnie ring replica also goes up pain-free. Tries again on pinch and blob 50 but is over. 22/25. Think I came split 3 here or something.

Final Position 3! 3rd place in my first competition and had I not been so inexperienced the silver would have been mine. The competition was brilliantly arranged, thanks David! 

The community was also fantastic, good advices and everyone cheered for everyone. This is definitely not my last grip competition. 

• Like 6

Hopefully

Awesome 

• Thanks 1

Fist of Fury

Congrats, well done!

What type of steel is the IM axle? Personally I never use chalk on bare steel (the types that can't hold chalk), it just makes it more slippery. I use water and rub it in my hand with a towel, that gives me better friction on those kind of surfaces.

I feel sorry for the people who didn't chalk up the IM blockbuster :laugh