Tank Andrade

Gripmas 2019

KapMan

Work your thumb and fingers. I’m telling you. My chest isn't the strongest and neither are my tri of ceps. 

I can set most anything. 

Joseph Sullivan
36 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

LOL.  Yes, I know you can't use those in competition.

Then you might not want to train that way. Make sure you train how you will compete. That extra support on the wrists may not help you when it’s game time (since you can’t wear them). I would not train sledge hammers with any wrist wraps and I would not advise them for training  grippers either if you plan on closing a max gripper in a competition  @Hopefully

Chez
Posted (edited)

I'll still recovering but its my birthday so I feel like trash talking about grippers since this debate started......................If I was healthy, it wouldn't matter what set we used for grippers or how we tested crush (hand dyno etc.,)..............................as larry bird said in the locker room prior to the 1987 NBA 3 point shootout 'I hope all you guys in here are thinking about second place, because I’m winning this.' 😝

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hopefully
33 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Work your thumb and fingers. I’m telling you. My chest isn't the strongest and neither are my tri of ceps. 

I can set most anything. 

I have tried, I dont understand how it's done. Tried different angles and everything, practically powerless everywhere. It messes with the quality of my training too much so I gave it up, get pissed when I have to blow a big portion of my strength on a crappy set. 

Chez
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I have tried, I dont understand how it's done. Tried different angles and everything, practically powerless everywhere. It messes with the quality of my training too much so I gave it up, get pissed when I have to blow a big portion of my strength on a crappy set. 

This happens often with many guys, they get frustrated and give up trying to set (looking at you Vin haha) but if you really want to go far (maximize your potential) you have to keep practicing and stick with it until it feels natural and automatic. It’s like taking one step back to take several forward. Even after years of closing grippers, if I stop practicing MMS, my set gets funky. I had to struggle for a while for it to feel so natural I didn’t even have to think while doing it. And by practicing mms your wide set goes up also so it’s a win win. Sometimes I just need to practice wide set for a cert or comp for a couple weeks prior but mms is the fastest way to increase crush strength 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

KapMan
1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'll still recovering but its my birthday so I feel like trash talking about grippers since this debate started......................If I was healthy, it wouldn't matter what set we used for grippers or how we tested crush (hand dyno etc.,)..............................as larry bird said in the locker room prior to the 1987 NBA 3 point shootout 'I hope all you guys in here are thinking about second place, because I’m winning this.' 😝

A03C2CC5-F5C3-4EFD-A55D-A0836F11892F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chez
2 hours ago, KapMan said:

A03C2CC5-F5C3-4EFD-A55D-A0836F11892F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully
7 hours ago, Chez said:

This happens often with many guys, they get frustrated and give up trying to set (looking at you Vin haha) but if you really want to go far (maximize your potential) you have to keep practicing and stick with it until it feels natural and automatic. It’s like taking one step back to take several forward. Even after years of closing grippers, if I stop practicing MMS, my set gets funky. I had to struggle for a while for it to feel so natural I didn’t even have to think while doing it. And by practicing mms your wide set goes up also so it’s a win win. Sometimes I just need to practice wide set for a cert or comp for a couple weeks prior but mms is the fastest way to increase crush strength 

Well, I found the solution in setting between the legs. Very easy that way so I can concentrate on my crushing instead. I still do mainly mms, I believe they are essential.

Just have to share, there's studies that support using partial rom in strength training when they allow use of much higher resistence than full rom. Both for gaining strength and hypertrophy. Of course we already kinda knew that, but it's pretty funny when Randall for example insists that "full" rom is the most efficient way to train. That's just an opinion and nothing else. 

Adam Juncker

The most important factor in TNS is the kind of table used.  Has to be a regulation TNS table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

KapMan
27 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

The most important factor in TNS is the kind of table used.  Has to be a regulation TNS table. 

Recommended brand? Ashley, IKEA? 

• Like 1

Joseph Sullivan
7 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Recommended brand? Ashley, IKEA? 

POTTERY BARN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KapMan
2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

POTTERY BARN

Im not going now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bencrush
On 8/12/2019 at 3:16 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Of course. Do you have pictures of CoC grippers with drastically different spreads? I know their quality control isn’t great. I have heard of some gripper handles being slightly longer. I am sure  that there have been outlier grippers with abnormal spreads. Seems like the vast majority are within normal limits. Kind of a non issue for me as it pertains to this competition 

I have TNS closed many #3s (20+) and the vast majority of the time the spreads were between 2.75" and 3". There were outliers both ways, but 3 and 1/8" is the widest #3 I remember TNS closing. Realistically, 1/4" is not that big of a difference for a $25 gripper. 

• Like 2

bencrush
On 8/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, climber511 said:

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite way of closing grippers.  Gripmas has a long tradition of "different" methods - and no matter which I held, people fussed and feuded about it - most of it was done by people not even planning on attending the contest.  They fussed about this and then that but instead they might decide to just do the best they can.  In the end the promoter has to decide "something" and go with it.  The contest is having TNS Grippers - attend or not - I haven't heard one peep from the guys most likely to win the whole thing. You know you actually could quit worrying about it and train TNS grippers - who knew?

Well said, Chris! If I ever host another grip contest I have seriously been thinking about a 2 finger TNS gripper event. Index and middle fingers. It's awkward. But it would be interesting to see what gripper would win the contest. Of course it depends on who shows up. 

Another obvious thing that any experienced gripper guy knows is you choose the narrower gripper for TNS attempts if it's near or even a few pounds heavier than the normal spread gripper of similar poundage. 

• Like 4

richcottrell
Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, Colin Ramsey said:

Nicely put. TNS on my unrated 2.5 is impossible at this time. I am 6'1" but have smaller hands. Crossbar is definitely an advantage for anyone taller. I feel like lockout for me especially sucks because I have really long legs and slightly shorter arms for my height. In any case, you just have to work with what you're given and train hard. Maybe us small-handed folks won't be world class, but can still have a very respectable grip on various implements

Doesn’t the World of Grip rules allow a shorter athlete to stand on risers when the crossbar is used on the Euro?

so couldn’t us short guys make our own risers to our exact needs and bring them with us to competitions?

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 2

jasonotto

What I gather about this thread is: 1.  People who have difficulty with the set or refuse to learn how to set, complain that it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  2. People who cant TNS or refuse to practice TNS, complain it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  But either way, the Gripmas TNS event will remain.  This has been a fascinating study. Tank, I applaud you for trying something new, that is admirable.  You will run a great event.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jasonotto said:

What I gather about this thread is: 1.  People who have difficulty with the set or refuse to learn how to set, complain that it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  2. People who cant TNS or refuse to practice TNS, complain it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  But either way, the Gripmas TNS event will remain.  This has been a fascinating study. Tank, I applaud you for trying something new, that is admirable.  You will run a great event.

I refuse/don’t want  to learn how to “set” because no set and TNS is how I want to close grippers.... and I am happy to see a TNS event being presented!  The one who throws the comp has the say and we either go or don’t. I never understood all of the complaints over events ESPECIALLY when the complainers are ones that never go to comps anyway.Just go and have fun or don’t .Never would I complain that I lost a gripper event because I TNS or NS the event when others are setting, I know what I get myself into . That is my problem, not there’s... but at the end of the day, there is something very satisfying about picking up high number 3s with one hand and slamming them shut, especially when showing a non gripsters grippers, because I can tell you that every single person that sees a pre close set cries “cheater” when they see it, even though we all know it’s legal.That’s why I never did a pre close.  That’s what it’s all about for me. It does hurt the points at a contest though, unfortunately..... maybe someday I will set when my no set strength starts to stagnate, but at this point, I don’t care.

Edited by Joseph Sullivan
  • Like 2

Andrew Dube
2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just go and have fun or don’t .

Not sure who needs to hear this but this.

TNS sounds fun to me 😁 but I doubt I'll be attendending.

• Like 2

Joseph Sullivan
10 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Awwww come on DUBES!!!! 

• Like 1

KapMan
2 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Wtf

bencrush
6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I refuse/don’t want  to learn how to “set” because no set and TNS is how I want to close grippers.... and I am happy to see a TNS event being presented!  The one who throws the comp has the say and we either go or don’t. I never understood all of the complaints over events ESPECIALLY when the complainers are ones that never go to comps anyway.Just go and have fun or don’t .Never would I complain that I lost a gripper event because I TNS or NS the event when others are setting, I know what I get myself into . That is my problem, not there’s... but at the end of the day, there is something very satisfying about picking up high number 3s with one hand and slamming them shut, especially when showing a non gripsters grippers, because I can tell you that every single person that sees a pre close set cries “cheater” when they see it, even though we all know it’s legal.That’s why I never did a pre close.  That’s what it’s all about for me. It does hurt the points at a contest though, unfortunately..... maybe someday I will set when my no set strength starts to stagnate, but at this point, I don’t care.

I think it's cool as hell that you do no set closes in contests that don't even feature it.  Seriously.  Even when I was known as a decent TNS guy, I didn't close them that way in contests because I knew I'd lose too many points. 

My vote is on YOU winning the TNS gripper event at Gripmas 2019.  As soon as I saw it was an event, you are the first guy that popped in my head.  And you are so right about people off the street calling "cheater" when they see a set of any type.  It puts normal people off about as much as shirted benching does. 

• Thanks 1

Climber028
6 minutes ago, bencrush said:

I think it's cool as hell that you do no set closes in contests that don't even feature it.  Seriously.  Even when I was known as a decent TNS guy, I didn't close them that way in contests because I knew I'd lose too many points. 

My vote is on YOU winning the TNS gripper event at Gripmas 2019.  As soon as I saw it was an event, you are the first guy that popped in my head.  And you are so right about people off the street calling "cheater" when they see a set of any type.  It puts normal people off about as much as shirted benching does. 

Brb, going to cut up a bench shirt and sew up a gripper glove to add 20lbs to my max close. Equipped gripper competitions are gonna be a hoot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hopefully
7 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think it's hilarious all over YT when people say "hey that's cheating you havent closed it correctly, you got to pass a credit card between the handles first, dont you know that". 

Like how ignorant can you really be. 

• Like 1

KapMan
1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Not so fast buckaroo 🤪

• Like 3

Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Thanks so much Big Ben! Means a lot!!! And man I also was like WHAT THE HECK IS THIS???? When I first saw gripper videos! I was laughing my head off! CHEATING!!! Of course the layman will never understand that it is not cheating just a different way to do it... but to me, as a purist, it still is not as genuine as a pick up and close way. You all can flame me for that or reason away to why it’s not, but when a person on the street sees it and cries CHEATER, then I never will close it that way... but this is just my opinion, just as all you guys have yours and I RESPECT THAT!!! 😉 perhaps... someday. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2