Gripmas 2019

Tank Andrade

33 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

In your experience. 

Of course. Do you have pictures of CoC grippers with drastically different spreads? I know their quality control isn’t great. I have heard of some gripper handles being slightly longer. I am sure  that there have been outlier grippers with abnormal spreads. Seems like the vast majority are within normal limits. Kind of a non issue for me as it pertains to this competition 

13 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Of course. Do you have pictures of CoC grippers with drastically different spreads? I know their quality control isn’t great. I have heard of some gripper handles being slightly longer. I am sure  that there have been outlier grippers with abnormal spreads. Seems like the vast majority are within normal limits. Kind of a non issue for me as it pertains to this competition 

It's absolutely not a non-issue when if you want to arrange a competition with TNS. There's a reason 20 mm block set has become the standard.

It's very important to only use gripeprs with equal spread if you're going for TNS. It's important with any set but extra important if it's TNS.

I think the narrowest #3 I've had was around 72 mm and the widest I have now is around 78 mm. That is a huge difference for TNS. 

And if you have large hands, then and only then it doesn't matter.

27 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

the narrowest #3 I've had was around 72 mm and the widest I have now is around 78 mm. That is a huge difference for TNS. 

Do you have pictures? I don’t have big hands and have never noticed any issues with gripper spread during TNS closes. The first part of the close is so easy that even if a gripper has an extra couple millimeters of spread it shouldn’t be make or break.

I would focus on getting psyched for a big squeeze rather than hyper analyzing the grippers available. This just seems like we are really splitting hairs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Do you have pictures? I don’t have big hands and have never noticed any issues with gripper spread during TNS closes. The first part of the close is so easy that even if a gripper has an extra couple millimeters of spread it shouldn’t be make or break.

I would focus on getting psyched for a big squeeze rather than hyper analyzing the grippers available. This just seems like we are really splitting hairs.

I'm not lying to you...

I don't have the narrow gripper anymore so I don't have any pictures.

As I said if you have large enough hands it doesn't matter, if you don't it makes all the difference.

1 minute ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm not lying to you...

I’m not saying you are. I have just never encountered this issue. Probably best solved by having at most a 2mm difference between the narrowest and widest grippers at the competition. Problem solved, right?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I’m not saying you are. I have just never encountered this issue. Probably best solved by having at most a 2mm difference between the narrowest and widest grippers at the competition. Problem solved, right?

Yes I think it's very important that all grippers should be very close in spread. Should always be like that, but as I said more important now when the whole ROM is in play.

I don’t see any difference at all in any of my COC gripper spreads. My hands are not big by any stretch of the imagination, barely reaching the 8 inch mark...  I stand by my original statement “if you can TNS a number 1 you can TNS any gripper as long as you develop the sufficient strength level. May take longer than using a “set”, but it will happen if you train. I don’t do sets and go into comps that have sets all the time. I don’t care though. This “I can’t TNS because of hand size” myth has been going on for a long time. If it was because of that, then you would not be able to TNS a trainer then. It’s a strength issue. I will never say otherwise no matter what scientific formula someone comes along with to say otherwise. I would agree if the person could not also close a trainer in that fashion because they had muppet hands, but not an average sized healthy male.

My pinky finger is so small that I can barely set a CCS, so don't tell me that hand size doesn't matter. It is very unconvinient and I have much less degrees of freedom when setting a gripper. It must be spot on unless I miss a rep. And I can't afford to place a gripper below "caluoses" as most men do. I must set it deep in the palm. So my tehnique is and must be unconventional. Though I am not giving up. I am progressing and I am finding my way. But don't say that hand size doesn't matter when you don't struggle with small hand.

15 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

My pinky finger is so small that I can barely set a CCS, so don't tell me that hand size doesn't matter. It is very unconvinient and I have much less degrees of freedom when setting a gripper. It must be spot on unless I miss a rep. And I can't afford to place a gripper below "caluoses" as most men do. I must set it deep in the palm. So my tehnique is and must be unconventional. Though I am not giving up. I am progressing and I am finding my way. But don't say that hand size doesn't matter when you don't struggle with small hand.

I’m telling you it’s a strength issue.If you can TNS close a lighter gripper It is not an issue of hand size, otherwise you would not be able to do it with the smaller gripper. If you can do it with the number one you could do it with the heavier  one if you get stronger.  Like I said in my first post, it’s just going to take longer. Unless someone has below average in size Hands And cannot no set any gripper no matter how light.

Edited by Guest

I will have a huge variety of gripper ratings and brands. And varying spreads. Its all part of the game gentlemen. I have 7.5" hands and my crush is pathetic. Lets have some fun guys.  Gripmas will always have a "strange crush event " ala Mr. Rice. 😀

• Like 7

I agree with everybody lol.  But let me add:  I kind of like TNS, not as much as Joe an it is not my only love like it is for Joe.  But obviously it gives you challenge across a larger range.  I think the "argument" here is apples and oranges.  Of COURSE you will do a better close if you get stronger, and if you can TNS a 1, you can TNS a harder gripper if you sufficiently increase your strength.  Of COURSE.  But it is also true that for people with smaller hands, the position you must take to start the gripper is less similar to the ideal position for the final crush, and you are not able to readjust.  Being able to set a gripper puts your hand in a better position for the final crush.  If you have a bigger hand, then your position from the start of the close is closer to what it needs to be for the final crush, so the set matters less.  And even then, you will probably do a little more with a good set.  None of this tells you whether setting or TNS is better - it is different.  You can train either, or both, or neither.  Like different kinds of deadlift yield different maxes.  Just train what you determine is right for you!  I am going to enjoy this comp.  See y'all there!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I agree with everybody lol.  But let me add:  I kind of like TNS, not as much as Joe an it is not my only love like it is for Joe.  But obviously it gives you challenge across a larger range.  I think the "argument" here is apples and oranges.  Of COURSE you will do a better close if you get stronger, and if you can TNS a 1, you can TNS a harder gripper if you sufficiently increase your strength.  Of COURSE.  But it is also true that for people with smaller hands, the position you must take to start the gripper is less similar to the ideal position for the final crush, and you are not able to readjust.  Being able to set a gripper puts your hand in a better position for the final crush.  If you have a bigger hand, then your position from the start of the close is closer to what it needs to be for the final crush, so the set matters less.  And even then, you will probably do a little more with a good set.  None of this tells you whether setting or TNS is better - it is different.  You can train either, or both, or neither.  Like different kinds of deadlift yield different maxes.  Just train what you determine is right for you!  I am going to enjoy this comp.  See y'all there!

Good answer, Vincenzo!

What are the rules for a competition TNS?

Are you allowed to walk your fingers in to get them around the handle after you pick it up or do you have to close it from fully open?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raymond said:

What are the rules for a competition TNS?

Are you allowed to walk your fingers in to get them around the handle after you pick it up or do you have to close it from fully open?

Typically pick the gripper up with one hand, then close. Do the best you can as long as only one hand is in contact with the gripper. Full range of motion 

• Like 1

In classic Gripboard fashion, way to really let the air out of this balloon, guys.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

In classic Gripboard fashion, way to really let the air out of this balloon, guys.

Haha, right??? Just go to the contest or don’t! It’s all for fun!!!!

17 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Typically pick the gripper up with one hand, then close. Do the best you can as long as only one hand is in contact with the gripper. Full range of motion 

That I was talking about. I cannot do TNS in that fashion because I cannot put my pinky on gripper. I must have help with other hand. So, what should I do? Is it a matter of strength if I can use only three fingers to start squeeze?

Just now, Hopefully said:

That applies to almost everyone though. Typically you start with the top 3 fingers until the pinky can reach, then you use momentum from the pinky to try and smash it 

Well, ok. But still those who can begin with all fingers have advantage. TNS is not fair. Even if only 1 % can start with all fingers they have best chances.

4 minutes ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Well, ok. But still those who can begin with all fingers have advantage. TNS is not fair. Even if only 1 % can start with all fingers they have best chances.

I can’t begin with all fingers... the pinky comes after the squeeze begins, as @Hopefully said.

I can barely tns either. Instead of complaining I'm just going to do better on every other lift and make up the difference. 

• Like 4

Just now, Climber028 said:

I can barely tns either. Instead of complaining I'm just going to do better on every other lift and make up the difference. 

Most that complain have zero intentions to even show up to compete anyway.

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite way of closing grippers.  Gripmas has a long tradition of "different" methods - and no matter which I held, people fussed and feuded about it - most of it was done by people not even planning on attending the contest.  They fussed about this and then that but instead they might decide to just do the best they can.  In the end the promoter has to decide "something" and go with it.  The contest is having TNS Grippers - attend or not - I haven't heard one peep from the guys most likely to win the whole thing. You know you actually could quit worrying about it and train TNS grippers - who knew?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 7

Just now, climber511 said:

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite way of closing grippers.  Gripmas has a long tradition of "different" methods - and no matter which I held, people fussed and feuded about it - most of it was done by people not even planning on attending the contest.  They fussed about this and then that but instead they might decide to just do the best they can and do their best.  In the end the promoter has to decide "something" and go with it.  The contest is having TNS Grippers - attend or not - I haven't heard one peep from the guys most likely to win the whole thing. You know you actually could quit worrying about it and train TNS grippers - who knew?

I sacrifice points every time I’m in a contest because I do not set and only want to close them that way.. but I still show up .... I always TNS or no set. For once, the shoe is not on my foot.

2 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Curious as to how small your hands are?  Mine are 7 5/8".

@Goran Paulinič All you can do is the best you can with what you've been given. You may not stack up to a bigger guy but you can earn a lot of respect if you do the best you can and punch above your weight. Just do the best you can and keep trying to improve it..

I'm a small guy, but I'm a powerful little bastard. Negative thoughts have no place in any form of weight training.

Mindset is everything, look for ways to get it done and don't focus on anything that won't benefit you.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1