Gripmas 2019

Tank Andrade

On 8/12/2019 at 3:16 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Of course. Do you have pictures of CoC grippers with drastically different spreads? I know their quality control isn’t great. I have heard of some gripper handles being slightly longer. I am sure  that there have been outlier grippers with abnormal spreads. Seems like the vast majority are within normal limits. Kind of a non issue for me as it pertains to this competition 

I have TNS closed many #3s (20+) and the vast majority of the time the spreads were between 2.75" and 3". There were outliers both ways, but 3 and 1/8" is the widest #3 I remember TNS closing. Realistically, 1/4" is not that big of a difference for a $25 gripper. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, climber511 said:

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite way of closing grippers.  Gripmas has a long tradition of "different" methods - and no matter which I held, people fussed and feuded about it - most of it was done by people not even planning on attending the contest.  They fussed about this and then that but instead they might decide to just do the best they can.  In the end the promoter has to decide "something" and go with it.  The contest is having TNS Grippers - attend or not - I haven't heard one peep from the guys most likely to win the whole thing. You know you actually could quit worrying about it and train TNS grippers - who knew?

Well said, Chris! If I ever host another grip contest I have seriously been thinking about a 2 finger TNS gripper event. Index and middle fingers. It's awkward. But it would be interesting to see what gripper would win the contest. Of course it depends on who shows up. 

Another obvious thing that any experienced gripper guy knows is you choose the narrower gripper for TNS attempts if it's near or even a few pounds heavier than the normal spread gripper of similar poundage. 

• Like 3

On 8/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, Colin Ramsey said:

Nicely put. TNS on my unrated 2.5 is impossible at this time. I am 6'1" but have smaller hands. Crossbar is definitely an advantage for anyone taller. I feel like lockout for me especially sucks because I have really long legs and slightly shorter arms for my height. In any case, you just have to work with what you're given and train hard. Maybe us small-handed folks won't be world class, but can still have a very respectable grip on various implements

Doesn’t the World of Grip rules allow a shorter athlete to stand on risers when the crossbar is used on the Euro?

so couldn’t us short guys make our own risers to our exact needs and bring them with us to competitions?

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 2

What I gather about this thread is: 1.  People who have difficulty with the set or refuse to learn how to set, complain that it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  2. People who cant TNS or refuse to practice TNS, complain it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  But either way, the Gripmas TNS event will remain.  This has been a fascinating study. Tank, I applaud you for trying something new, that is admirable.  You will run a great event.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jasonotto said:

What I gather about this thread is: 1.  People who have difficulty with the set or refuse to learn how to set, complain that it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  2. People who cant TNS or refuse to practice TNS, complain it's not fair for a variety of reasons and discount its legitimacy.  But either way, the Gripmas TNS event will remain.  This has been a fascinating study. Tank, I applaud you for trying something new, that is admirable.  You will run a great event.

I refuse/don’t want  to learn how to “set” because no set and TNS is how I want to close grippers.... and I am happy to see a TNS event being presented!  The one who throws the comp has the say and we either go or don’t. I never understood all of the complaints over events ESPECIALLY when the complainers are ones that never go to comps anyway.Just go and have fun or don’t .Never would I complain that I lost a gripper event because I TNS or NS the event when others are setting, I know what I get myself into . That is my problem, not there’s... but at the end of the day, there is something very satisfying about picking up high number 3s with one hand and slamming them shut, especially when showing a non gripsters grippers, because I can tell you that every single person that sees a pre close set cries “cheater” when they see it, even though we all know it’s legal.That’s why I never did a pre close.  That’s what it’s all about for me. It does hurt the points at a contest though, unfortunately..... maybe someday I will set when my no set strength starts to stagnate, but at this point, I don’t care.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just go and have fun or don’t .

Not sure who needs to hear this but this.

TNS sounds fun to me 😁 but I doubt I'll be attendending.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Awwww come on DUBES!!!! 

2 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Wtf

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I refuse/don’t want  to learn how to “set” because no set and TNS is how I want to close grippers.... and I am happy to see a TNS event being presented!  The one who throws the comp has the say and we either go or don’t. I never understood all of the complaints over events ESPECIALLY when the complainers are ones that never go to comps anyway.Just go and have fun or don’t .Never would I complain that I lost a gripper event because I TNS or NS the event when others are setting, I know what I get myself into . That is my problem, not there’s... but at the end of the day, there is something very satisfying about picking up high number 3s with one hand and slamming them shut, especially when showing a non gripsters grippers, because I can tell you that every single person that sees a pre close set cries “cheater” when they see it, even though we all know it’s legal.That’s why I never did a pre close.  That’s what it’s all about for me. It does hurt the points at a contest though, unfortunately..... maybe someday I will set when my no set strength starts to stagnate, but at this point, I don’t care.

I think it's cool as hell that you do no set closes in contests that don't even feature it.  Seriously.  Even when I was known as a decent TNS guy, I didn't close them that way in contests because I knew I'd lose too many points. 

My vote is on YOU winning the TNS gripper event at Gripmas 2019.  As soon as I saw it was an event, you are the first guy that popped in my head.  And you are so right about people off the street calling "cheater" when they see a set of any type.  It puts normal people off about as much as shirted benching does. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bencrush said:

I think it's cool as hell that you do no set closes in contests that don't even feature it.  Seriously.  Even when I was known as a decent TNS guy, I didn't close them that way in contests because I knew I'd lose too many points. 

My vote is on YOU winning the TNS gripper event at Gripmas 2019.  As soon as I saw it was an event, you are the first guy that popped in my head.  And you are so right about people off the street calling "cheater" when they see a set of any type.  It puts normal people off about as much as shirted benching does. 

Brb, going to cut up a bench shirt and sew up a gripper glove to add 20lbs to my max close. Equipped gripper competitions are gonna be a hoot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Not so fast buckaroo 🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bencrush said:

Thanks so much Big Ben! Means a lot!!! And man I also was like WHAT THE HECK IS THIS???? When I first saw gripper videos! I was laughing my head off! CHEATING!!! Of course the layman will never understand that it is not cheating just a different way to do it... but to me, as a purist, it still is not as genuine as a pick up and close way. You all can flame me for that or reason away to why it’s not, but when a person on the street sees it and cries CHEATER, then I never will close it that way... but this is just my opinion, just as all you guys have yours and I RESPECT THAT!!! 😉 perhaps... someday. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I think it's hilarious all over YT when people say "hey that's cheating you havent closed it correctly, you got to pass a credit card between the handles first, dont you know that". 

Like how ignorant can you really be. 

I can tell you I was one of them, saying what the heck is this closing with the off hand shenanigans, when I first found grip.

20 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

To be fair I somewhat agree with that, I think that mms is best looked at as a training technique to get stronger. Even though there's no arguing that parallel closing a 3.5 or a 4 for example is still very impressive. 

With that said your TNS stuff would most likely get much stronger if you trained with a 3.5 or a 4 using parallel set once in a while. 

I’m actually using a 3.5 for TNS right now.

Honestly, at the rate I’m progressing, I may just show up, win the gripper event, take some shots and walk out 😜

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Honestly, at the rate I’m progressing, I may just show up, win the gripper event, take some shots and walk out 😜

You have made the most sense.  And, I believe u.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jasonotto said:

You have made the most sense.  And, I believe u.

Game on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

About the only thing you can win

*mic drop

*runs

Edited by KapMan
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KapMan said:

About the only thing you can win

*mic drop

*runs

Show up Shawn and we can go head to head.....full comp.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

Show up Shawn and we can go head to head.....full comp.....

Whoa. Whoa. Im married bro. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Whoa. Whoa. Im married bro. 

Haha. Good one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 8:02 AM, jasonotto said:

I in no way am discounting the legitimacy of anything mentioned here. I am merely stating my experience with crossbar and TNS. I don't believe that there is anything unjust, or that the rules should be altered for anyone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tank - do you think there is any way you can get Arm Lifting qualifying lift opportunities at your event (Silver bullet, Saxon bar, Rolling Thunder, Axle)?  Chris had it at the last one, but it may only have worked out because Mike Saffell was able to attend.  I ask because I am interested in trying to qualify for the worlds in Russia, and there is a qualifying arm lifting event on the same day as Gripmas.  Gripmas is my preferred venue, so if you had arm lifting qualifier capability, it would be a no-brainer.  If not, I may still attend Gripmas but I'd have to consider where I am in the arm lifting rankings and whether there are any other qualifiers available that I can attend.  I don't mean to suggest you should bend over backwards for this or anything; but if it is something that would be doable as long as someone was willing to observe and approve any qualifying lifts, or even if they could be submitted on video, or something like that, it might not be a big deal to get done.

• Like 1