10 years of (bi-weekly) Ironmind Red Nail bends

Buccos1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, Tom Flesher said:

Glad to hear the pain is subsiding a bit! What are you doing for rehab/injury prevention? I know you've had a few nagging issues.

At this point, mostly stuff on my own.  A few of the things that seem to be helping now are icing my neck and traps throughout the day, neck stretches, using the theracane and similar devices on trigger points, scraping tools, the Rumble Roller, and portable traction devices. 

All throughout 2019, I was going to the chiro, PT and OT, a trigger point therapist, acupuncture, cupping, and getting injections in my neck/shoulder.  Some of it helped, but it was too much to keep up that routine.  I kept going to the chiropractor, but this became repetitive and stopped helping.  Tried a few new chiropractors recently which made things worse.  I'm going to keep doing acupuncture, as I think this helped in a few ways.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sun (2/16)

DO - IMPs
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 6" O1
1/4 x 7" 1045
Red Nail

Pretty good session today.  A few hours before my Red attempt, I was sitting around, thinking about it and wasn't really looking forward to the bend.  Years back, during this streak, I would think about it all week, and almost 'couldn't wait' until the day came around to bend another one.  And afterwards, I'd feel awesome and reflect briefly, then start thinking ahead.  The Red Nail bend each week would guide almost everything I did before-and-after, and had become an inescapable, undeniable part of my identity.  But today, it just wasn't there.  No real excitement, no anticipation, upon self-reflection.  

I still need to go back through my notes/journals (lazy) to see when the official "Last Bend" is going to be, that will mark 10 years.  Roughly, I think, it will be the beginning of July, which would mean I have four more months to go ... about 10 more Reds.  The end is in sight.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sun (3/1)

DO - IMPs
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 7" 1045
Red Nail

Sun (3/15)

DO - IMPs
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

Nothing major the past two sessions.  All-in-all, everything has felt pretty good.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Sun (3/15)

DO - IMPs
Yellow Nail
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

Nothing major the past two sessions.  All-in-all, everything has felt pretty good.

Glad to hear the nagging injuries aren’t bothering you too much! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sun (3/29)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 6.5" HRS
15/64 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" 1045
Red Nail

• Like 1

Sun (4/12)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

Felt really strong today.  Took the Red down quick with no pain.  Right afterwards, destroyed a Grade 8 double-under in single IMPs.  Great session!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sun (4/26)  

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sun (5/10)

DO - IMPs
15/64 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

Things have been going pretty good lately with all-around feel for double-overhand bending.  If this continues, maybe I'll keep bending double-over at a decent level, after this streak is (hopefully) over.  I'm not going to keep doing year-round Reds, but maybe try to stay at a maintenance level like a 1/4 x 7" Grade 8, which wouldn't be too far off, and still be decent.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sun (5/24)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

• Like 2

Sun (6/7)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 6.75" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 3:04 PM, Tom Flesher said:

Cutting down the O1 intentionally, or just what was available?

I try to vary stock in the few warm-ups I take with double-overhand nowadays.  I'm still able to get into position, but it has gotten more difficult with chronological and bending age.  With DO, 6.5" is close enough for my purposes and doesn't beat me up as much.

• Like 2

Okay, after some (low-level) calculations, there are four more Red Nails to be bent over the next six weeks, including tomorrow.  That will be ten years of non-stop Red Nail bends, averaged-out, every ten days throughout.   (When this started, it was a Red Nail every week; throughout the past few years, it has been every two weeks.)  All of them done under official certification conditions, including wraps, bands and time. 

From this point on, starting tomorrow, I am going to start posting up videos of the final bends, for the purpose of giving me an extra mental edge to get through these last few.   I'm hoping that if I treat these as a cert-type bend, then I'll blow through them fairly easy.  After all is said-and-done, I am going to continue bending until the end of August (one more attempt) to account for any calendar anomalies.  😁

And this will not be the end of my bending days, just the non-stop Red Nail bending, every 1-2 weeks.

• Like 7

Still need to catch up with the postings, but here is today's Red Nail bend (7/5/2020).  Had some trouble on the kink, just couldn't get that first hit until about 10 seconds in.  I got this batch about six months ago and have pulled-out a few mutants.  Not sure if this was one, but the end bend showed a similar angle at the apex.  Three more to go!

• Like 3

Crazy the ten years is almost up! I love your consistency for that length of time.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Crazy the ten years is almost up! I love your consistency for that length of time.

Agreed.  This is so freaking impressive. :rock

• Like 2

I  love longevity  in any strength endeavour - and to do Red Nails for TEN YEARS is so very impressive!  Congratulations in advance!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Donc101 said:

5 hours ago, anwnate said:

Agreed.  This is so freaking impressive. :rock

Thanks guys!  It was originally going to be 5 years, I think, which seemed like a stretch at the time.  But as the years ticked away, and the pain intensified (LOL), I just couldn't give it up.  This one bend week-after-week, month-after-month (etc.) has guided me for so long, and given me purpose and something to constantly shoot for, the thought of stopping was just as bad, or worse, then the thought of pushing through injuries, pain and everything else with no break.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

I  love longevity  in any strength endeavour - and to do Red Nails for TEN YEARS is so very impressive!  Congratulations in advance!!!!!!!!!! 

Thank you Chris!  Comments like these have definitely helped me push through on more than one occasion.

Sun (6/21)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 6" HRS
15/64 x 7" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

• Like 1

Sun (7/5)

DO - IMPs
1/4 x 6.5" O1
1/4 x 7" Grade 5
Red Nail

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Love the gym!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Love the gym!

Thanks!  I've tried organizing a little, but it never stays that way.  Less chalk on the floor than my other place though!

• Like 3