Importance of triceps in grippers?

Goran Paulinič

As a relatively new guy in grip sport I've noticed strains in tricep muscles. I won't mention forearm ails because it is a matter of captain Obvious. But tricep surprised me. How do you incorporate tricep workouts and is it really important?

Thank you for replies.

I haven't had any strains in my triceps, I do notice that squeezing a gripper activates my whole arm, shoulder and even into the lats though. Pavel Tsatsouline explains it as irradiation where firing the muscles needed for gripping activate a lot of other muscles. It's one of the fundamentals of his approach to strength training in general, activating the grip by crushing the bar on a bench press or making a tight fist in a single handed lift with the free hand is said to build tension and help you generate more force.

As for the scheduling of tricep work, I'm not experienced enough to give any solid advice there as I've only recently started with grippers, so some of the more experienced guys might be better to give their take on that.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

As a relatively new guy in grip sport I've noticed strains in tricep muscles. I won't mention forearm ails because it is a matter of captain Obvious. But tricep surprised me. How do you incorporate tricep workouts and is it really important?

Thank you for replies.

Over a given month include bench press, overhead press, dips, and push ups. If you are limited by equipment go with diamond grip push ups, handstand push ups on the wall and bar dips. 

Maintaining a degree of proportion is important. how much it impacts a gripper close is secondary to the many benefits you’ll gain in range of motion, strength, endurance, size. For long term pain free training you will need to train your entire body not only a specific limb or motion  

• Like 3

Yes. I agree and I am doing other exercises too. Pullups, dips, handstand (not pushups! :) ) holds, overhead presses and variety of wrist trainning with an axe with weights loaded on it. Also wrist curls and extensions and oblique grip exercise with an axe. I am not new in strength in general. Nevertheless my triceps are sore often after grippers. It is odd. It must be something about triceps. I will focus on them, isolate them and watch what will happen.

Not to brag but I feel I have some of the strongest triceps in grip so I will share. Triceps will help you set a big gripper but as far a closing gripper I cant tell if it helps. However, if you want pure tricep power in general do Close grip bench press, skullcrushers, reverse skulls -which wont bother your elbows and Tate Presses- which I prefer to use on incline.

• Like 2

Always train your whole body, that means also train your arms in isolation like a bodybuilder would do.

I don't think it helps for strength other when setting the gripper but it's essential to be strong in your whole body if you want to be good at grip. To avoid injuries and to be able to do grip lifts (not grippers).

I can tell you right now, I do not think I would be as strong as I am, grip wise, if I had not come from a background that focuses on full body strength and power. Any weak link will expose itself when you are attempting strength feats, especially “odd ones” that most of the population doesn’t do.

I can attest to full body strength for grip in general. My stupid ass is weak. Weak for medical reasons. But also weak because I’m not balanced. Balance is important. But for grippers I think its more CNS then total arm strength. Im average at bench, do pretty well at pushups and overhead lifts. But my CNS is slower then a pack of stampeding turtles going up hill in the artic. So that causes me immense issues with explosive or cns driven lifts. I don’t think chez is a crazy heavy lifter and that man crushes in the 190s like a superhero. Just food for thought. 

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Not to brag but I feel I have some of the strongest triceps in grip so I will share. Triceps will help you set a big gripper but as far a closing gripper I cant tell if it helps. However, if you want pure tricep power in general do Close grip bench press, skullcrushers, reverse skulls -which wont bother your elbows and Tate Presses- which I prefer to use on incline.

Humble brag lol

Your sets of 315 close grip bench pauses are ridiculous. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Thanks 1

I have weak triceps and I'm bad at grippers, so maybe there is something there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I have weak triceps and I'm bad at grippers, so maybe there is something there. 

I don't think so I also have weak triceps but I'm decent at grippers.

Upper arms, shoulders ( and the rest of the body) will help a lot when setting grippers but it will not close the last final mm's at the close. However being able to set grippers properly is essential, so it will of course help with strong triceps in that sense. Everything is connected.

• Like 1

I dont see how strong triceps help with a set. Since training more thumb. My set is beastly. I can set heavy grippers whilst looking like a idiot for not closing them. But my set is on point 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

You usually have a lot of tight tissue at the back of the elbow just below the tricep also that can cause pain, that was the case for me...

That's it! But that also means something important is going on there. I will stretch this part often and do excercises for triceps that have been mentioned.

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

I can attest to full body strength for grip in general. My stupid ass is weak. Weak for medical reasons. But also weak because I’m not balanced. Balance is important. But for grippers I think its more CNS then total arm strength. Im average at bench, do pretty well at pushups and overhead lifts. But my CNS is slower then a pack of stampeding turtles going up hill in the artic. So that causes me immense issues with explosive or cns driven lifts. I don’t think chez is a crazy heavy lifter and that man crushes in the 190s like a superhero. Just food for thought. 

Humble brag lol

Your sets of 315 close grip bench pauses are ridiculous. 

I have found the blue meth is the best for ramping up a depressed cns.  

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I have found the blue meth is the best for ramping up a depressed cns.  

😑

• Haha 1