Globe DB's

The Guvnor

I've found some 2nd hand globes here in the UK:

53, 64, 78kg all with 2 3/8 inch handle

65kg with 1.5 inch handle

Seller asking £2 per kilo 

They are 5 years old - fairly weathered but structurally sound.

Just wondering what you guys think of the pricing on these?

It'll run me maybe another £70 to get delivered so all in with some negotiating etc call is £540 / $660 for 260kg or 572lbs of cast iron globes.

67235475_10156458538018133_1741379200079626240_n.jpg

• Like 1

I just checked out the value of scrap iron in the UK and it's at  £1.45 - £1.99  a kilogram on this site

https://www.priceofscrapmetals.com/uk/

So that's around the value of scrap where you are. Something like that is hard to find in many places so although he's selling at around scrap value (maybe at the high end of the scale), the bells would have a much higher value than scrap as those things are so hard to find outside the US.

I'd snap them up.

Edit: I was just looking at the pic and it looks like that one with the 1.5 inch handle could be fabricated from steel. Steel is worth around the same as iron so that's not important. Having a smaller handle it will add a bit of variety to your training.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

Thanks Ray,

That helps make the mind up here to be honest.

I've never cleaned up any iron before but obviously with a bit of tlc and a respray etc you can have em looking like new.

Ray,

Got a score off or £20 so came in at £1.92 a kilo. 

I reckon I'll have em sandblasted and re-done before getting them to the gym.

Pics when in and finished. :)

• Like 1

The 78KG bell with a 2 3/8" handle is an Inch Dumbell (or damn close to it).  That's a steal!  Great find! 

• Like 2

Thanks Mike - in the UK a few co's do/did an inch replica - this and the rest of what I found are strength shop casts but AFAIK they are no longer being cast.

The ones now are mostly loadable monster db's or monster style and with a 2.5 inch handle - IMO the globes are far more appealing in every way. Also 2.375 on the handle please.

Next on my list is a millennium db which is 105kg and if I'm right same diameter handle as an inch. 

Neon pink as a colour for one of the globes is being debated - may not happen but it would at least be interesting to see it! 

Guys - we've been thinking about the sandblasting a mate into furniture was in favour of leaving the patina on them.

Wire brush them and coat so as to not rust etc in the future - what do you guys think?

Patina - shows the age and character even if not that old or no get em nice n shiny?

I probably wouldn't paint them either, I'd go for a blacksmiths finish. I've restored quite a few old tools and anvils etc and used that type of finish on them and it shows the patina you've mentioned..

Boiled linseed oil thinned out with turps put onto hot iron or steel polymerizes and dries almost like paint but you can easily touch it up by wiping a bit more on if needed later on. It will be sticky for a few days until it fully cures. I probably wouldn't do the handles though unless the bells will be sitting around unused for an extended period.

Clean them up with a wire brush and a blowtorch or heat gun and then wipe them with the BLO mixture.  There's a lot of similar finishes that don't use paint so do a web search on a phrase such as " blacksmiths finish" & it could turn up something better.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

Ray,

That information is brilliant and much appreciated!

These globes were stored in an outside storage bin and tbh for this and being a few years old they are in very good condition imo.

67774186_427196524552187_6503658930957189120_n.jpg

68269390_481579442680217_7163963264559218688_n.jpg

• Like 2

Yet to get them over to us - expect them in on Tuesday. 

At this rate we need a bigger gym/garage!

Fresh off the boat here so to speak.

Pictured beside a US13 UK12 shoe for reference.

Look to be all 100% and in good condition.

897aa2c1-2267-423b-b525-a69d374100f1.jpg

• Like 1