Torque mutiplier - the product of a sick mind

Raymond

So, I've got the flu and probably couldn't do anything respectable without beating myself up right now and the mind starts to wander. In a spark of inspiration I decided to approach the minister for war and finance and requisition an Inch replica to revive my spirits, which was harshly denied, even more so than than the time I tried to negotiate a threesome with one of her friends. It seems that economic factors are more important this time but I felt equally dejected.

After a deep and meaningful conversation with the dog I relented to the fact that I wouldn't be able to lift one anyway, so I made my way to the shed (with the dog in tow) to see what I could rustle up. I was thinking to myself - the guy who invented the urinal started with a sheet of tin and his imagination, maybe if I could coax all four remaining brain cells to work in concert I could come up with something that could utilize what I had laying around and not blow this weeks beer budget. 

So I spotted a piece of PVC pressure tube and a few joining sockets I had laying around and a plan began to evolve. @Hopefully had suggested that I look into the Holle it up dumbbell a few days earlier and I'd made one the day before. What an awesome concept, the offset handle multiplies the load on the thumb and not having many plates laying around it really filled a gap in the grip toys I had at my disposal. So I started thinking what can I do with these leftover PVC fittings and pipe.

So I came up with this contraption, it's a bit like a normal wrist wrench but it has offset radii where the straps will fit to multiply the torque and give my thumb a bit of extra load while I (hopefully) build the strength to lift a real dumbbell through other means. Sure it's a poor substitute for an Inch dumbbell as there's there's no way I could pull a heavy load on it, but it will give my thumbs a good once over while I build some wrist strength with other toys. The blue parts (which won't be blue) are 70mm diameter and the radius of the end caps where the webbing will run is 90mm diameter.

Here's the CAD mock up of how it will look, the end caps are cued up to go on the 3D printer when my daughter's science project finally finishes printing (hopefully tomorrow morning)  ww.png.6d54637b09daa23b8c10a5f74d53159c.pngww2.png.be3e68c653be6107a2912af97c6c553a.pngww3.png.a649c2c2bddc4d5dc7b55755cf02daf6.pngwwsect.png.968a4be80839bdd0322d2b14e1598f50.png

Maybe if I stick with it I'll get that threesome Inch lift one day.

Sorry guys, I'm just going stir crazy 'cause I'm sick & can't train & I reserve the right to deny anything I write on the internet after I've been drinking vodka.

I'm open to insults and other lower forms of constructive criticism but I probably won't be able to able to evaluate them on their merits until I sober up and get a few paracetamol tablets into myself tomorrow morning.. 😀 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Climber028 said:

https://watsongym.co.uk/product/poliquin-kettlebell-handle/

I would just make this bit with a non-rotating handle. You could get a giant amount of torque in the hand with a very small amount of weight actually on the dumbbell. 

I'd never seen anything like that thing before,  it certainly would create a lot of torque without much weight on it. I've got the end caps printing for that plastic thing I'm making now, so I'll knock that up and maybe make something like that later on.

The scorched earth policy seemed to work on the flu I've had, I drank it under the table, it couldn't keep up & decided it was time to leave. I'm feeling better today, so I'll do a light session today and get back into some serious training tomorrow.

• Like 1