Sign in to follow this  
Hopefully

Baoding balls

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

How effective are these really?

I just ordered a pair for the purpose of increasing recovery rate, which apparently it is very good at. However I have a hard time seeing how spinning around some steel balls would be good for anything. As they seem popular I thought I'd give them a go still. 

Also I know Teemu Ilvesniemi credited them for improving his no set and tns sets with grippers, which I find a bit strange. Because of improved dexterity or what? 🤔 

Edited by Hopefully

Raymond
Posted (edited)

I've had a set for about 15 years. They came with a booklet that explained how they stimulate acupuncture points and how they are supposed to be good for your health. I don't know if that's all BS and hocus pocus, I just use them for relaxation & therapy. When I was training for a one arm chinup my elbows were taking a beating so I started doing teacups while rolling them around between sets and they really helped to relieve the tension in my elbows and kept them in good shape. Whenever I get sore hands (I've had quite a few hand injuries), they are great therapy and few minutes rolling them loosens everything up and relieves the pain. They give you a light palm massage and get a bit of extra blood flowing with no strain, so they are great for recovery.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

Hopefully

Thanks! 

And well since they have been around for 600 years or so I suppose they ought to be good for something. Seems fun improving ones skill with and doing some challenges too. 

Griparn

I have some larger steel balls weighing around 2kg each. I use them for recovery work and they are quite a workout also for the wrist and forearms.

The smaller chinese balls you can maybe do more variations with, like upside down, giving more dexterity work.

Fist of Fury

They work the extensors pretty damn good if you ask me.