102 Red Nails bent in a little over 2 hours: Don Cummings

Donc101

I bent 102 red nails today! My hands and body are destroyed! I will do a detailed write up when I am feeling better. Here are some photos.

Don Cummings

2FDA98D5-9694-4B49-8DD5-D7808F07B651.jpeg

A541D930-4510-47F4-A45E-D596ABF96314.jpeg

31C32274-D5EC-4648-A939-069EF634E0AE.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Incredible Don!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Jesus..

29 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Incredible Don!!

Thanks guys! My body is wrecked right now.

• Like 1

This is what I call manic training, not many people are capable of it. Congratulations man, this is just unbelievable.

• Like 1

Well if they weren't red enough before they definitely are now, crazy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

This is what I call manic training, not many people are capable of it. Congratulations man, this is just unbelievable.

41 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Well if they weren't red enough before they definitely are now, crazy

Thank you! I have wanted to do this for awhile. Most pain I have ever had bending, no doubt.

37 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Thank you! I have wanted to do this for awhile. Most pain I have ever had bending, no doubt.

Lemme borrow some strength while you heal

• Like 1

That's a serious habit you've got going there!

I'm a bit concerned with my recent foray into grippers now, it seems like they might function like a gateway drug that leads to some of the harder stuff.

• Like 1

Remarkable.   Great focus and persistence! Well done dude.

• Like 1

Crazy amount of pain tolerance and endurance!  I look forward to the write-up.  Notice that nobody has asked you WHY you bent that many.  We are all nuts. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raymond said:

That's a serious habit you've got going there!

I'm a bit concerned with my recent foray into grippers now, it seems like they might function like a gateway drug that leads to some of the harder stuff.

10 hours ago, jasonotto said:

Remarkable.   Great focus and persistence! Well done dude.

7 hours ago, bencrush said:

Crazy amount of pain tolerance and endurance!  I look forward to the write-up.  Notice that nobody has asked you WHY you bent that many.  We are all nuts. :D

Thanks guys! Steel bending is definitely addicting and no doubt we are all a little nuts. 

• Like 1

My friend Chris Stilwell took some good photos he sent me from yesterday.

01E14BCF-B97B-48E9-BAD5-89A81ACD9BF4.jpeg

61636E43-EF54-449E-8AF0-1EE33DD92309.jpeg

D1CF3A4E-2D42-477F-B476-C785D6D48015.jpeg

9F03D0DD-58C9-4CE8-A56C-2108F74ED245.jpeg

9E29EC89-9256-4D1E-B600-FEB9D01DF11A.jpeg

F1CD41FA-9D0C-41B8-8F30-92AE153AA909.jpeg

C79FFDF4-0F5F-4C7A-8A31-D0CC71BF0555.jpeg

• Like 1

Amazing. True test of strength and fortitude. Not many people will comprehend the pain involved in such a feat. Much respect!!

I was thinking of how to comment this topic but I am truly speechless.

I wish you a speedy recovery :laugh

A little more info on yesterday and bending the 102 red nails.

A couple years ago I read about Greg Amidon and Dave Morton each bending 100 red nails in about 3 hours in 2005. That feat had never been done again. The feat really impressed me because of the pain tolerance and mental toughness involved. The feat always lingered in my head and would not go away. It went away finally after I bent 40 red nails on my 40th birthday. My hands were destroyed and it was one of the most painful experiences. However, after the hands healed the 100 red nail mark crept back into my head. After talking with some friends at Gripmas last year, I decided I would do it this summer. After the Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship and Steel Shredder King's Shield comps were done in May, I started training for the feat. The most I did in training was 50. The thought process was that I only needed to absolutely destroy myself 1 time. I just wanted to get my hands as tough as possible in training.  30 hurt in training. Then I did 40 easier than the 30 and my hands held up better. Finally, I did 50 easier than the 40 I did 1.5 weeks before. I did the 50 2 weeks before yesterday to give myself time to heal. Last weekend, I thought my hands were healing too much and I wanted to maintain some roughness, so I did about 20 bends just to rough the hands up a bit.  I did a few more bends on Monday and then let the hands heal until yesterday.

I had some good friends come over yesterday for the action, including Bill Hinbern.  Amir Bayour helped me with wrapping, which was desperately needed, especially when my hands were bad and bleeding. 

The first 50 went really fast. At 50 my hands were starting to tear decently. At 60 it was worse and at about 70 is when they started getting ugly. At the end, I really needed to prepare myself for each hit as the bending was being done on raw meat. My middle and pointer fingers and my palm were crushed on each hand.  The kink was the worst part of the bends and was rough at the end. At the end, I could not put a new bar in the wraps because my hands were shaky.  My fingers were involuntarily twitching.  I had more nails but stopped at 102 because enough damage had been done. I had beat the 100 mark and was happy with how destroyed I was. I did not need to escalate the destruction. My body has a deep soreness today. I celebrated with a cigar and some scotch last night.

Yesterday was a great day for me. I accomplished a feat that I have been impressed with for a long time. My hands were mangled in the process. Fun times!

Thanks every body for your support and encouragement.

Don Cummings

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Sean Cashman said:

Amazing. True test of strength and fortitude. Not many people will comprehend the pain involved in such a feat. Much respect!!

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I was thinking of how to comment this topic but I am truly speechless.

I wish you a speedy recovery :laugh

Thanks guys. Yesterday was a big day for me. Have a good one. 

• Like 1

Man that is crazy. Keep us posted on how long it takes to fully heal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king crusher said:

Man that is crazy. Keep us posted on how long it takes to fully heal.

Thanks! Hopefully it does not keep me from bending for too long.

• Like 1

I did a sped up video so you can check out the bends without watching an over 2 hour video.

• Like 2

I think the word greatest gets thrown around way to often.  Not here.

That's the greatest endurance bending feat of all time.  I tip my hat to you buddy.  That right there takes some unbelieveable mental toughness and pain tolerance.  I've done some marathon horseshoe sessions, but nothing even remotely like this. 

I would like to suggest you get some climbskin hand salve.  I tore almost every layer of my thumb skin off awhile back.  Luke gave me a small jar of that stuff.  In 2 weeks, you couldn't even tell it had ripped.  Shit's amazing.  Arm Assassin Strength Shop sels it.  Expensive, but well worth it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I did a sped up video so you can check out the bends without watching an over 2 hour video.

You gotta change your screen name to Donc102 now! Haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

Ummmm....wow!!

45 minutes ago, Raymond said:

New world record!

Hat's off to anyone that can  beat that.

1 hour ago, king crusher said:

You gotta change your screen name to Donc102 now! Haha

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think the word greatest gets thrown around way to often.  Not here.

That's the greatest endurance bending feat of all time.  I tip my hat to you buddy.  That right there takes some unbelieveable mental toughness and pain tolerance.  I've done some marathon horseshoe sessions, but nothing even remotely like this. 

I would like to suggest you get some climbskin hand salve.  I tore almost every layer of my thumb skin off awhile back.  Luke gave me a small jar of that stuff.  In 2 weeks, you couldn't even tell it had ripped.  Shit's amazing.  Arm Assassin Strength Shop sels it.  Expensive, but well worth it.

Thank you all very much! I put a lot of work into it, so thank you! Good idea with the salve Mike. My hands could use a little special care. Luke has some great products.