*New Gold Nail Bent and Reviewed

PITTisKING

So I ordered some more Gold Nails last weekend, they arrived today and I bent one after 2-3 hours of grip training, driving home, and trying it in double suede wraps with no warm-up. I take a closer look in the video. I cannot bend a Gold Nail that was ordered 4 months ago

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice bend, even if they are slightly undersize compared the others! So are they actually porous or is it mostly surface pitting?

Maybe if it is hot rolled as you suggested in the vid they were hot rolled 3/8 stock that's been de-scaled?

This pretty much confirms that Ironmind messed up with the new golds. 

• Like 2

That is a HUGE difference in size and grade.  Wow...that changes everything. 

• Like 1

Yea, I thought the recent bend radiuses (radii?) looked like hot rolled.  Definitely a different bend.

IM got snookered by the ChiComs!

• Like 1

Video did not load. I found what Gary found. I will try to post video on Facebook.

This is quite the scandal  . . . . reminds me of the older model CoC grippers Vs the more recent versions AND the even larger Old/Newer RT handle “debate”.

You have to wonder:

- How much stock was in the initial batch order they placed upon offering Gold Nails?

- Where did they source this current batch from?

The nails clearly aren’t to spec . . . . .and that is a nightmare for both the seller and the unfortunate buyers.

• Like 2

I’m glad that no one has yet to cert on the gold. It would’ve been a shsme if someone managed to accomplish  one of the most baddass steelbending achievements of all time only to then have the feat be diminished in this fashion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’m glad that no one has yet to cert on the gold. It would’ve been a shsme if someone managed to accomplish  one of the most baddass steelbending achievements of all time only to then have the feat be diminished in this fashion.

That's exactly what's going to happen when someone does finally cert it.

The certification is ruined now.

I don't really bend or know anything about it, but IronMind is slipping up, and they will get swallowed if they keep working sloppy. 

• Like 1

I think it's okay in this case since nobody has certed the gold nail (as long as it's harder than the red nails) but now they can't go back if someone certs with these easier bars.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think it's okay in this case since nobody has certed the gold nail (as long as it's harder than the red nails) but now they can't go back if someone certs with these easier bars.

Not sure how any of this is ok...

59 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

True.

To clarify, what I meant was that if someone had certed the gold nail six months ago, it would have been an unthinkable, ridiculous feat of strength on par with a coc 4 CCS.

Now, if someone certs the gold, I don't think it will be met with such celebration because there will be that hint of "what kind of gold nail was it."

Even though even a less strong gold nail bend is still ridiculous, we all know how it goes.

My thing is if you go for a "Gold Nail Cert" the nail you bend should measure 3/8 and should have that CRS angle to the bend. I understand that batches vary and there's always going to be slight differences.

However, If it measures 23/64 and bends like HRS then it shouldn't count as a Gold Nail Cert. I'm working on bending a real Gold Nail, and I'm getting close, my goal is to cert on a real Gold Nail, I'd love to be the first, but I'm not going to cert on one of these bars.

I want my cert to be 3/8 CRS, hard as hell and mean something. If someone wants to cert on this and IM allows it then that's on them. I'm here for the challenge and to push myself, I'm not taking the easy way out. If I want to deadlift 700 then I want to deadlift 700, I don't want the judge to misload the bar at 500 and give me credit for 700.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

That's exactly what's going to happen when someone does finally cert it.

The certification is ruined now.

Pretty much as their certification process for grippers is bad. Grippers vary a lot in strength, plus they changed the rules. It's up to Ironmind to decide how they want to do it. If you're not happy, go for another cert instead. FBBC has, Gip & Bend in Italy. David Horne etc, there's plenty of ways to certify on steel bending.

39 minutes ago, PITTisKING said:

My thing is if you go for a "Gold Nail Cert" the nail you bend should measure 3/8 and should have that CRS angle to the bend. I understand that batches vary and there's always going to be slight differences.

However, If it measures 23/64 and bends like HRS then it shouldn't count as a Gold Nail Cert. I'm working on bending a real Gold Nail, and I'm getting close, my goal is to cert on a real Gold Nail, I'd love to be the first, but I'm not going to cert on one of these bars.

I want my cert to be 3/8 CRS, hard as hell and mean something. If someone wants to cert on this and IM allows it then that's on them. I'm here for the challenge and to push myself, I'm not taking the easy way out. If I want to deadlift 700 then I want to deadlift 700, I don't want the judge to misload the bar at 500 and give me credit for 700.

Of course you do whatever you want but if I were you I would certify immediately and be the first man in history to cert the Gold Nail. As I said in my previous post, it's all up to Ironmind to decide how it goes down. If you're strong enough to certify with their rules, why not do it?

You can still bend the CRS version of it later.

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Pretty much as their certification process for grippers is bad. Grippers vary a lot in strength, plus they changed the rules. It's up to Ironmind to decide how they want to do it. If you're not happy, go for another cert instead. FBBC has, Gip & Bend in Italy. David Horne etc, there's plenty of ways to certify on steel bending.

Unfortunately the steel at FBBC has gotten weaker.

3 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

Unfortunately the steel at FBBC has gotten weaker.

Ok, that's too bad. No calibrated steel from them?

I guess David Horne or GBI is still good options. I'm actually surprised how few people are on David's lists. Is it because he doesn't include DO? It doesn't seem to be much interest for the certs.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Of course you do whatever you want but if I were you I would certify immediately and be the first man in history to cert the Gold Nail. As I said in my previous post, it's all up to Ironmind to decide how it goes down. If you're strong enough to certify with their rules, why not do it?

You can still bend the CRS version of it later.

Because if it isn't a gold nail then why bother? You're seemingly missing the point. 

• Like 3

I shall henceforth refer to the new batch as the "Fool's Gold Nail" lol. Or they can rebrand these as "The Black Nail", I know they were rumored to talk about it before, a nail between the Red and Gold.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Question: Which is more significant: That the bars may be 4.267% thinner, or that it may be hot rolled steel and not cold rolled steel? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Question: Which is more significant: That the bars may be 4.267% thinner, or that it may be hot rolled steel and not cold rolled steel? 

I've bent CRS that has made the same shape fully bent.  Either way it might be very weak CRS that's got a .368" diameter. Between the 3/8 FBBC HRS & 5/16 triangle grade 5s 8" lengths I got. I will able to get the shiny gold down soon.

• Confused 1