Raymond

Ray's grip log

Raymond
On 10/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, Goran Paulinič said:

It's a tough life down under. Nasty creatures everywhere! Europe is a paradise in comparison.

The people are more of a concern for me than the local fauna. We have 4 houses within a stones throw where people sell meth and it's a F'kn nightmare at times. I've been in roughly 15 punch ups since I moved in here. The first one was when I booted a junkie off my veranda who was sitting there shooting up (which my kids saw) & most of the other fights were revenge attempts from his f'wit junkie mates. Before I moved in here I hadn't had a fight for over 20 years. They don't mess with me anymore but there's house invasions, bashings and stabbings every few days.

I had another go with grippers today, I'm closing in on the #2.5 but still have a few mm to go. So I had a few attempts at the #2.5 and then did a few negs with heavier grippers.

I also did 60 pushups, 60 bodyweight squats and 24 vertical handle pullups.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 3

Goran Paulinič

Very close! 👍

• Like 1

Raymond

I just did the same format with grippers today with a couple of extra sets on the filed #2 in the warmup before I attempted the #2.5. I missed the close on the #2.5 by a few mm, so it's not much point posting a vid. Then I did negatives with a GHP 6 (4 sets of 7) and CoC 3 ( 3 sets of 6) & then almost repped out on progressively lighter grippers until my grip was almost fried.

I also did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 5 sets of 17 pushups between sets. After the grippers I did 3 sets of ice cream makers on vertical handles supersetted with singles on a Holle dumbbell with 112 lbs (in the easiest position). So my open hand strength is slowly coming back.

So I even though I haven't closed that #2.5 yet, I feel like I have the mojo to close it soon. I'm thinking the CCS with the #3 is going to be a lofty goal for an old fart like me but if I can break it up into smaller goals it may be possible even if it does take a bit longer than it would for a younger man. Maybe I could close a # 3 one day.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

Kluv#0
1 hour ago, Raymond said:

I just did the same format with grippers today with a couple of extra sets on the filed #2 in the warmup before I attempted the #2.5. I missed the close on the #2.5 by a few mm, so it's not much point posting a vid. Then I did negatives with a GHP 6 (4 sets of 7) and CoC 3 ( 3 sets of 6) & then almost repped out on progressively lighter grippers until my grip was almost fried.

I also did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 5 sets of 17 pushups between sets. After the grippers I did 3 sets of ice cream makers on vertical handles supersetted with singles on a Holle dumbbell with 112 lbs (in the easiest position). So my open hand strength is slowly coming back.

So I even though I haven't closed that #2.5 yet, I feel like I have the mojo to close it soon. I'm thinking the CCS with the #3 is going to be a lofty goal for an old fart like me but if I can break it up into smaller goals it may be possible even if it does take a bit longer than it would for a younger man. Maybe I could close a # 3 one day.

Raymond you will close the 2.5" soon. I would work on setting various grippers to parallel(no closes)for an entire workout 30-45 minutes.

• Like 2

Raymond

22 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Raymond you will close the 2.5" soon. I would work on setting various grippers to parallel(no closes)for an entire workout 30-45 minutes.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure I'll get it soon too. I'm getting a bit bored with the routine I've been doing and few other people have noted that I need a bit of work my set, so that sounds like a good idea. Do you think I should do it as an extra gripper session during the week or do it instead of one of the sessions that I'd normally do? I've been hitting grippers twice a week most weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a free day today, so I played on the parallettes and the vertical handle pullup handles on and off throughout the day. I squeezed a few lighter gripper for singles whenever the urge took me & got a few things done around the house too. I started out thinking I'd just do mostly mobility work and have a bit of a tune up but I felt really good after all the mobility work I ended doing parallettes 1 from GMB fitness a few times and did a bunch of front and back levers and inverted rows on the vertical handles.

Then I loaded my Holle dumbbell with 57kg and did singles  on each hand a couple of times each hour until the kids got home from school. For some reason I felt a bit stronger in my off hand than my strong hand with the 2 3/8" Hollle handle, maybe I'd be good for another 10kg with the left but even 60 kg would be pushing the limits with the right.  So I think I won't be pushing the limits much until I've had a few months training and build a bit of tendon strength before I chase the  fat handle lifts too much.

So it was mostly an easy day with a few efforts here and there with a lot of mobility work.

Feeling good. almost starting to feel strong again

• Like 1

Kluv#0

Raymond, just do it instead of one of your regular gripper sessions. It will only take one session and you will find that parallel "groove". Once you have parallel down you can open it up accordingly. I was very inconsistent with my set and decided to devote 45 minutes to setting only and it made big difference. Also, Chez (MM7 monster) has great gripper video on his workouts and that changed my power for sure- I call it the "Chez" principle:) PM me if you want sample gripper workout

Edited by Kluv#0
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Raymond

OK then @Kluv#0 parallel sets it will be for the next session on Friday. Do you think I should go to the point where my grip starts to go off or would it better to just go for perfect sets and try to finish while I'm still a bit fresh?  @Chezknows more about grippers than most people ever will, so  if he uses that as training technique then it seems like it could be well worth the effort to devote a few sessions to getting the basics right.

I'd love to have a look at your gripper program too Mike, I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kluv#0

Here is video

• Like 4

Kluv#0

Do like 5 sets of 3 lighter gripper resting 2 min. then 5 singles at each moderate and above goal gripper

• Like 2

Ricochet
14 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Do like 5 sets of 3 lighter gripper resting 2 min. then 5 singles at each moderate and above goal gripper

Thank you for sharing the video; very informative. I will replace one of my hand gripper training workouts with parallel sets now. respects.

• Like 2

Raymond

Cheers Mike! I'll give it a go on Friday. I've been stuck on a plateau for the last few weeks, so a bit of changeup seems like it could be just what I need right now. Thanks Bro!

• Like 3

Hopefully
2 hours ago, Raymond said:

Teemus technique is imo very good for getting a good set 

• Like 3

Chez

You got this Ray! I’ll spend time reading your log soon. Work has been crazy for me lately. Rooting for you buddy!

• Like 1

Raymond
2 hours ago, Chez said:

You got this Ray! I’ll spend time reading your log soon. Work has been crazy for me lately. Rooting for you buddy!

Thanks for the encouragement @Chez , I really appreciate it buddy!

I had a play with grippers today and tried a full session mostly focused on parallel sets as suggested. It was a lot tougher than I imagined it would be too, I did it with short rests and got maybe 80 sets with each hand just focusing on getting the set right. The skin on my hands got more scuffed up than normal and even the skin on the fingers I was using to set the grippers got scuffed up quite a bit.

It was quite revealing, I really suck at setting grippers. So it was well worth the effort doing a session like that that. I took a lot more care setting them even with the lighter grippers while I was warming up and it seemed to help when I hit the #2.5 the first time. I got a quick touch for the first time ever but couldn't hold it closed. I got the GHP 6 much closer than I ever have the first time I tried it too. Then when I tried the #3 it felt a bit harder than normal, so I just focused on getting a perfect set each time. I only did 6 sets with the #3 on then got a lot of volume in with the #2.5 and worked down through lighter grippers as my grip faded.

I was doing bodyweight squats and pushups between sets. After the grippers I played with the Holle dumbbel with 60kg on it in an EMOM format until it started feeling like it was going slip from my grip.

So it was a different format focused on getting the basics right really, something which I probably should have devoted more time to drilling before I got too far into training. Thanks for the suggestion guys, today seemed like a really beneficial session and a good change from the regular grind I've been doing.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1