Ray's grip log

Raymond

1 hour ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It is strange...this grip thing. I was struggling with GHP 5 for weeks and have had a weak feeling overall in forearms. It was frustrating and I often thought to quit everything because there was no improvement on #2.5. But then suddenly over the night literary things changed and begun to squeeze GHP 5 with relative ease and no fear of tearing something in my arm. Forearm adaptation is a big mistery. :)

You must be getting close to closing that #2.5 now then.

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

You must be getting close to closing that #2.5 now then.

Still working on it. Few mm left. It hits me like a wall. Like I have to move a ton to cross that milimeters!

I had a bit of a condensed session today because I had all sorts of other stuff going on.

I laddered up to a fatbar +58kg chinup and finished with a few weighted rolling handle pullups & weighted vertical handle pullups, I also laddered up to sets of 4x32kg kettlebell C&P and did 60 pushups and 60 body weight squats.

So the weighted chinup/pullup is slowly coming back but I think this 100 rep bodyweight challenge at the same time is killing my gains a bit, I might have to drop the squats and pushups on days when I'm training pullups and presses.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 3

I had another play with the grippers today, I mostly did.cheat closes and focused on negatives for my working sets. I dropped a few select words after a cat crapped in my yard just before I did my first working set, so I did a half arsed job dubbing it to clean it up.

I also did 60 pushups, pullups and bodywieght squats between sets and then played with a Holle dumbbell until  it got too heavy.

I dunno if it's even worthwhile playing with the #3 yet, so I might make this the end of the cycle and concentrate on reps with lighter grippers for a few weeks and then hit that thing again

• Like 3

I think you'd be extremely close if not closing these grippers with some more setting practice. Focus on keeping that back handle from sliding. Ideally you want it to remain parallel with your "palm knuckles". Even the slightest movement can make closing a gripper much harder. Also, if possible, set the gripper down closer to parallel. Your sets are starting quite a bit wider than mms width. When I go for a PR (which isn't too often anymore) I warm up setting more than the crush itself. I'll start with a super light gripper like T or #1 and make sure the set is PERFECT. Then I'll go to a medium gripper and do the same and then attempt a heavy. It's harder to set tough grippers which is why perfecting the set is very key for closing them. Nice attempts though! I don't think it's too early to start trying a #3 because you'll have to practice setting that as well. If you train multiple times a week though, you may only want to do the #3 1 day a week. It starts to become a lot of strain on the tendons and overtraining becomes easier to do. I developed some elbow tendonitis when I started working on the #3 because of that. Oh one more thing: don't be afraid to chalk the 💩out of your hand. Especially where that one handle that slides is. I make sure to have a thick layer of chalk there.

• Like 4

Still by your side. :) I am sredding fat a little. Probably my strength will fade. But I have to loose at least 5kg to look decent again. We will see what will happen next few months.

Thanks for the tips guys, I definitely need more work on my set, it's still a bit hit & miss at the moment. After training for 3 months I should really be getting it a bit better, I didn't quite get it right a few times today too.

I played with the grippers again today, I still didn't quite close the #2.5 but it shouldn't be too long before I do. I did quite a bit more volume in the warmup with lighter grippers than I normally do & then mostly played with the GHP6 for negatives for a few sets.

I also did 60 bodyweight squats, 60 pushups, and 30 vertical handle pullups and played with a Holle dumbbell. Pushups and squats between sets with grippers and pullups & Holle after.

So I think the negatives are working and I could soon have the #2.5. The #3 is looking like it's going to be a long way off but at least it's starting to seem like a possibility now.

• Like 2

I played with grippers again today, I still didn't close the #2.5 so I focused on negatives/cheat closes with the GHP6 and CoC #3.

I was bitten by an eastern brown snake last week and it put me out of action for a few days, I came good and was able to train last Friday but by Saturday I felt like crap again and did all weekend. So this was meant to be yesterday's session but I couldn't do it until today.

So it's a bit hard to know if the negative training is helping me improve or if I'm just spinning my wheels and wasting time doing negatives. If I can't close that #2.5 in 2 weeks I might have to re-evaluate and maybe try a different approach.

After the negatives I did a bunch of TNS's with lighter grippers, I also did 100 bodyweight squats and 100 pushups in sets of 20 between sets with grippers and played with a Holle dumbbell after I was finished with the grippers.

I dropped a few F bombs while I was recording it, so I dubbed it clean it up.

• Like 2

Your forearms are massive bro! What do they measure? Nice workout. 

• Like 2

I was gonna click "like", but you were bitten by a snake!

Glad you're all better!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lennix said:

Your forearms are massive bro! What do they measure? Nice workout. 

They aren't really that big Thom, maybe they look bigger because I have small hands and wrists. I just measured them and they're 31 cm. If I stood next to you they'd look like chopsticks in comparison.

10 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I was gonna click "like", but you were bitten by a snake!

Glad you're all better!

Thanks Eric! There''s not much to like about a snake bite.             

Today I did a push/pull day. Alternating sets of pulls and pushes. Pullups on a fatbar 69mm)

10 minutes Indian clubs warmup

12 bodyweight pullups, 8 pullups +20kg, 5 pullups + 28kg, 3 pullups + 44kg, 1 pullup + 52kg,  2 chinups (singles) + 64kg, 1 chinup + 68kg (not from a full dead hang), 6 ice cream makers.

Kettlebell clean and press - 20kg 12 r&L,  24kg 8 R&L, 28kg 6 R&L, 32kg 3 R&L

HSPU's on parallettes (wall supported) 5, 3, 3

I feel like I might be able to start making some progress with pullups again now the 100 rep bodyweight challenge I was doing has finished and I can hit the pullups a bit fresher. I'm almost back to where I was before I injured my back earlier this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Raymond said:

They aren't really that big Thom, maybe they look bigger because I have small hands and wrists. I just measured them and they're 31 cm. If I stood next to you they'd look like chopsticks in comparison.

Thanks Eric! There''s not much to like about a snake bite.             

It's all about the looks ;) mine is like 36 but looks like a twig on my frame. 

Didn't even see you were bit by a snake :O. Glad your OK. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:53 PM, Goran Paulinič said:

It's a tough life down under. Nasty creatures everywhere! Europe is a paradise in comparison.

The people are more of a concern for me than the local fauna. We have 4 houses within a stones throw where people sell meth and it's a F'kn nightmare at times. I've been in roughly 15 punch ups since I moved in here. The first one was when I booted a junkie off my veranda who was sitting there shooting up (which my kids saw) & most of the other fights were revenge attempts from his f'wit junkie mates. Before I moved in here I hadn't had a fight for over 20 years. They don't mess with me anymore but there's house invasions, bashings and stabbings every few days.

I had another go with grippers today, I'm closing in on the #2.5 but still have a few mm to go. So I had a few attempts at the #2.5 and then did a few negs with heavier grippers.

I also did 60 pushups, 60 bodyweight squats and 24 vertical handle pullups.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 3

I just did the same format with grippers today with a couple of extra sets on the filed #2 in the warmup before I attempted the #2.5. I missed the close on the #2.5 by a few mm, so it's not much point posting a vid. Then I did negatives with a GHP 6 (4 sets of 7) and CoC 3 ( 3 sets of 6) & then almost repped out on progressively lighter grippers until my grip was almost fried.

I also did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 5 sets of 17 pushups between sets. After the grippers I did 3 sets of ice cream makers on vertical handles supersetted with singles on a Holle dumbbell with 112 lbs (in the easiest position). So my open hand strength is slowly coming back.

So I even though I haven't closed that #2.5 yet, I feel like I have the mojo to close it soon. I'm thinking the CCS with the #3 is going to be a lofty goal for an old fart like me but if I can break it up into smaller goals it may be possible even if it does take a bit longer than it would for a younger man. Maybe I could close a # 3 one day.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

I just did the same format with grippers today with a couple of extra sets on the filed #2 in the warmup before I attempted the #2.5. I missed the close on the #2.5 by a few mm, so it's not much point posting a vid. Then I did negatives with a GHP 6 (4 sets of 7) and CoC 3 ( 3 sets of 6) & then almost repped out on progressively lighter grippers until my grip was almost fried.

I also did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 5 sets of 17 pushups between sets. After the grippers I did 3 sets of ice cream makers on vertical handles supersetted with singles on a Holle dumbbell with 112 lbs (in the easiest position). So my open hand strength is slowly coming back.

So I even though I haven't closed that #2.5 yet, I feel like I have the mojo to close it soon. I'm thinking the CCS with the #3 is going to be a lofty goal for an old fart like me but if I can break it up into smaller goals it may be possible even if it does take a bit longer than it would for a younger man. Maybe I could close a # 3 one day.

Raymond you will close the 2.5" soon. I would work on setting various grippers to parallel(no closes)for an entire workout 30-45 minutes.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Raymond you will close the 2.5" soon. I would work on setting various grippers to parallel(no closes)for an entire workout 30-45 minutes.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure I'll get it soon too. I'm getting a bit bored with the routine I've been doing and few other people have noted that I need a bit of work my set, so that sounds like a good idea. Do you think I should do it as an extra gripper session during the week or do it instead of one of the sessions that I'd normally do? I've been hitting grippers twice a week most weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a free day today, so I played on the parallettes and the vertical handle pullup handles on and off throughout the day. I squeezed a few lighter gripper for singles whenever the urge took me & got a few things done around the house too. I started out thinking I'd just do mostly mobility work and have a bit of a tune up but I felt really good after all the mobility work I ended doing parallettes 1 from GMB fitness a few times and did a bunch of front and back levers and inverted rows on the vertical handles.

Then I loaded my Holle dumbbell with 57kg and did singles  on each hand a couple of times each hour until the kids got home from school. For some reason I felt a bit stronger in my off hand than my strong hand with the 2 3/8" Hollle handle, maybe I'd be good for another 10kg with the left but even 60 kg would be pushing the limits with the right.  So I think I won't be pushing the limits much until I've had a few months training and build a bit of tendon strength before I chase the  fat handle lifts too much.

So it was mostly an easy day with a few efforts here and there with a lot of mobility work.

Feeling good. almost starting to feel strong again

• Like 1

Raymond, just do it instead of one of your regular gripper sessions. It will only take one session and you will find that parallel "groove". Once you have parallel down you can open it up accordingly. I was very inconsistent with my set and decided to devote 45 minutes to setting only and it made big difference. Also, Chez (MM7 monster) has great gripper video on his workouts and that changed my power for sure- I call it the "Chez" principle:) PM me if you want sample gripper workout

Edited by Kluv#0
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK then @Kluv#0 parallel sets it will be for the next session on Friday. Do you think I should go to the point where my grip starts to go off or would it better to just go for perfect sets and try to finish while I'm still a bit fresh?  @Chezknows more about grippers than most people ever will, so  if he uses that as training technique then it seems like it could be well worth the effort to devote a few sessions to getting the basics right.

I'd love to have a look at your gripper program too Mike, I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do like 5 sets of 3 lighter gripper resting 2 min. then 5 singles at each moderate and above goal gripper

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Do like 5 sets of 3 lighter gripper resting 2 min. then 5 singles at each moderate and above goal gripper

Thank you for sharing the video; very informative. I will replace one of my hand gripper training workouts with parallel sets now. respects.

• Like 2

Cheers Mike! I'll give it a go on Friday. I've been stuck on a plateau for the last few weeks, so a bit of changeup seems like it could be just what I need right now. Thanks Bro!

• Like 3

You got this Ray! I’ll spend time reading your log soon. Work has been crazy for me lately. Rooting for you buddy!

• Like 1