Ray's grip log

Raymond

How much can you lift on the 90mm handle @Goran Paulinič?

I've never done much with a diameter like that except the odd muscle up on one of the bigger bars that supports a gravity spinner at the park. Even then it did almost nothing for the thumb, the thumb just stops you flying over the front of the bar in the transition to the dip. I use rolling sleeves on my fat pullup bar that are just over 69mm and I don't think I'm good for much more than that, I broke both thumbs in a head on car accident (on the steering wheel) and tore the flexor tendons and never really regained any strength in an open hand grip like that. When I get past about 3 inches I'm weaker than a little girl.

I must try maxing it. I am training in 8 to 12 reps range because I am a begginer at that. I can lift 15 kgs 10 times with one hand. Left and right are equal in strength for now.

Today's practice

Warmup - 8 pullups on blue fat gripz, L sit to straddle planche on parallettes, 30 bodyweight squats, 30 pushups

Training - alternating sets of push & pull, pullups on a medium fat bar, kettlebell Clean & Press

6 pullups + 24kg,  C&P 20kg x 8 L&R, 4 pullups +32kg,  C&P 24kg x 5 R&L, 3 pullups + 44kg,  C&P 28kg 3 R&L, 2 pullups +48kg, C&P 32kg 2 R&L, 1 pullup + 52kg, 3 HSPU on parallettes (wall supported), 1 pullup + 58kg, C&P 28kg 4 R&L, 7 pullups +20kg

I was on fire today and I felt like I could have gone a bit heavier on the pullups but I decided to call it quits before I dug myself into hole that would take a month to get out of. That was the best I've done for a while so I was happy to stop there.

I tried a lever on the rolling handles I made the other day after I'd finished training and it was pretty half arsed, I was going to go for a back lever first but  I felt like I could have slipped going over towards the back lever so I just played it safe. I think I taxed my grip cutting a few down yesterday, so that's my excuse 😋

• Like 1

Thanks Goran!

It didn't feel that strong, the front lever has gone off. Maybe I'll have to start training for it or try it fresh. I used to be able to hold a good one for about 8-10 seconds when I was training them last year.

Oh I see, yeah I'm traveling alright for an old fart.

Speaking of being old, I was at the supermarket this afternoon and I saw a hot young girl about twenty years old in short cut off jeans and I was thinking to myself - ooorr I could hit that, and the ooorr noise came out and she heard it. You know you're getting old when you start saying things like that aloud by accident.

Edited by Raymond
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Damn I was hoping the lust for flesh would taper of a bit when you got older.. 

It's one thing I would be more happy without. 

It never tapered off for me, if anything it probably got worse from 45 YO. That's why I had to stop going to the gym, too many distractions and I couldn't keep my mind on the task at hand.

• Haha 1

I had another play with the grippers today. I almost got a touch on the #2.5 on the first attempt and did a 10 second hold with it at about 3mm apart, so I thought I'd film it and I couldn't even get close the next few times. So I filmed myself with a #2 just to prove I'm not a complete pussy.

I also did a heap of squat mae geri's, pushups and pullups etc.

Feel free to call bullshit on me nearly closing the # 2.5, as they say if it didn't happen on camera.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

I had another play with the grippers today. I almost got a touch on the #2.5 on the first attempt and did a 10 second hold with it at about 3mm apart, so I thought I'd film it and I couldn't even get close the next few times. So I filmed myself with a #2 just to prove I'm not a complete pussy.

I also did a heap of squat mae geri's, pushups and pullups etc.

Feel free to call bullshit on me nearly closing the # 2.5, as they say if it didn't happen on camera.......

Good stuff brother keep crushing!!

• Like 1

I did another gripper session today.

After a warmup

Filed CoC #2 - 6,4,4 reps, CoC #2.5 deep set mini reps x 6, GHP6 deep set 1 max hold (not fully closed), GHP4 TNS x 3, CoC # 1.5 TNS x 6

80 bodyweight squats, 72 pushups, 3x8 pullups on red fat gripz.

• Like 1

That was a solid workout! I managed to close GHP 5 with left hand from deep set the other day. My hands are on fire and I have to rest for a while. No gripping for a weak at least.

17 hours ago, Raymond said:

I did another gripper session today.

After a warmup

Filed CoC #2 - 6,4,4 reps, CoC #2.5 deep set mini reps x 6, GHP6 deep set 1 max hold (not fully closed), GHP4 TNS x 3, CoC # 1.5 TNS x 6

80 bodyweight squats, 72 pushups, 3x8 pullups on red fat gripz.

Good stuff brother! Keep working.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, Stephen Anderson said:

Good stuff brother! Keep working.

Thanks Stephen!

Midweek training

5 L-sit to straddle Planche

Pullups -8 bodyweight blue fat gripz,  Fatbar pullups (69mm)  6 + 24kg, 4 + 32kg, 2 + 40 kg, 1 + 52 kg, 8 + 20kg, rolling handle pullups 2 x 5 reps

Kettlebell C&P - 24kg 8R&L  28 kg 5R&L  32kg 3R&L,  36kg stacked 1R missed the left,  3 HSPU's on parallettes (wall supported),   HSPU on parallettes (free standing) 3 singles.

60 bodyweight squats, 60 pushups

• Like 2

I thought I might have had the #2.5 today, I did everything right beforehand, I only drank about about 200ml of vodka & got a solid 5 hours sleep last night. I was hoping that and the new aerodynamic haircut would get me over the line but it didn't happen. I'm a bit disappointed I've been stuck on the #2.5 for about a month. I'm determined to get the bastard though.

After that I did a few single TNS's with the GHP4 and laddered down to the #1, I can't quite do a TNS with #2 yet.

I also did 5x18 bodyweight squats, 4x20 pushups, 3x2 rolling handle pullups, 12 pullups on blue fat gripz and played with a Holle dumbbell.

• Like 4

Do you have GHP 5? I have success with it. I managed to do mms one rep with both hands with it yesterday. It is a huge jump from #2 to #2.5 at least for me. GHP 5 is between. I am still struggling with #2.5.

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

I think you need some chalk, if you look at your set in the video the palm handle slides back a good amount from your sweet spot just before you squeeze. Try to really push it down in the hand with your thumb so it doesn't slide. 

Yea. The higher the handle in palm the steeper is angle between palm and finger handles. And right there is the answer for dispute between "it is just a matter of strength" and us poor "little hand guys." Large hand guys hit the spot much easyer. We need grippers with smaller ROM. But it is just watter under the bridge for meatheads. :) If we manage to equalize conditions for all we will get bigger numbers squeezed with smaller ROM but it doesn't matter because there will be an upper limit. We can produce harder springs anytime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Do you have GHP 5? I have success with it. I managed to do mms one rep with both hands with it yesterday. It is a huge jump from #2 to #2.5 at least for me. GHP 5 is between. I am still struggling with #2.5.

No I didn't  get a GHP 5, it seemed like it would be too close to the stiffer CoC #2, so I just decided to start filing the #2

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I think you need some chalk, if you look at your set in the video the palm handle slides back a good amount from your sweet spot just before you squeeze. Try to really push it down in the hand with your thumb so it doesn't slide. 

I do have a light dusting of chalk, it's climbers chalk that comes in a ball/bag (ballbag??) but I can't seem to get much of a coating from it. It just sort of blows away if you try to rub it in and get a decent coating of it.

I noticed that it had slipped too when I watched the video. I was doing TNS's with lighter grippers for a few days (I rested a day before I did that session) before I tried that, so I was a bit lazy on the set but you're right I'll try to get set a bit better next time.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

Yeah CCSinng a #3 will be a tough ask for me but I'm not thinking about that until I hit a few other targets first.

Like Jordan Peterson said, if you set the bar low enough, you have a better chance of success.

So it's mini goals for me, If the #3 cert looks possible after I hit a few other marks, I think about the CCS when I get to it.

• Like 2

I burnt the candle at both ends over the weekend, I went to a few BBQ's and drank way too much. So I woke up this morning feeling like ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag. It took me ages to get fired up and even then I wasn't firing on all cylinders.

I warmed up and did a few sets of four with a filed #2, a few missed attempts on # 2.5 and a GHP6 and then just laddered back down with TNS's on the grippers.

3x3 rolling handle pullups, , 2x6 vertical handle pullups, 4x18 bodyweight squats, 4x18 pushups, 5x3 Holle dumbbell.rows.

I almost gave up quite early because I was feeling so weak but I felt OK by the end. So I certainly didn't make any gains today but hopefully I did enough to not go backwards too much.

• Like 2

I had a play with the grippers again today. I've been using negatives with heavier grippers to try and work through the sticking point on the #2.5 and I think it's working. I didn't pickle my liver over the weekend, so I felt a lot stronger than I did last week but still can't quite close the #2.5.

Then I did no set closes with the GHP 4 and laddered down as my grip went off.

I also do 60 pushups, 18 pullups 60 bodyweight squats and then I played with a Holle dumbbell until my thumb was fatigued.

• Like 4

It is strange...this grip thing. I was struggling with GHP 5 for weeks and have had a weak feeling overall in forearms. It was frustrating and I often thought to quit everything because there was no improvement on #2.5. But then suddenly over the night literary things changed and begun to squeeze GHP 5 with relative ease and no fear of tearing something in my arm. Forearm adaptation is a big mistery. :)

• Like 1