Hard Squats/Deads For Grip Routine

Luke Whippo

Saturday 8/30/19

Rushed today, no time to roll around on the floor today, keeping it moderate. Hot day too......

Squat-

reps in the 6-8 range up to 255.

280 x 14

Felt good, not a PR, not enough to be rolling around, but still had high cardio vascular effects.

....it seems going past 15-reps is harder on consecutive weeks, it's like I do better every other week?

Dead lift-

340 x 5 DO, kept it at that.

Hookgrip-

370x1 Other than doing that without any rest, it was real easy.

Clean and press-

135 x 4-presses (EASY), 155 x 1 (EASY) 165 x 1 Lifetime PR for strict old style press.

Curls-

95 x 4 strict

Thought about 120.......115 x 10 PR! Most of these were strict and fast, the last 4 were "breathing curls".....

.....went down......thought I was gonna puke.......did I mention I love that feeling....if not, well, I LOVE IT!!! As long as it's PR territory. 

Looking forward to next workout!

On 8/31/2019 at 4:37 AM, Goran Paulinič said:

Stop drinking. That may be the cause of vomit convulsions...

meh.... I'm not trying to be a Jack LaLanne role model (apparently he maybe wasn't perfect either). In 20 years of training now I've always had this issue and the best ways I've found were to back-off some, or train harder and each time I break PR's in high reps my body just gets used to it.

I used to do 20+reppers with moderate weight, but I've never trained this hard before meaning heavy traditional barbell lifting in this rep range. I used to train HEAVY strongman, 700+ yoke at 180lb BW, 800lb tire flips, 275lb farmers ea. arm with turns.......those were my pukers 15-years ago. I still couldn't squat 250 for 20, if I could, they are half squats.

all my lifting is 100% raw, no belts, wraps, no supplements, no pot, nada!!!

.....and I totally stopped drinking when in college (at age 36), I had no money (that f## recession), dropped down to like 165lb, Ha,Ha, and rarely trained, when I did for higher reps in dead/squat, same $hit.

Saturday 9/7/19

Squat- warmups 5-10reps up to 255

276 x 18 PR Oh that was NICE!!!

Dead lift

341 x 3 DO, chalk, x 3 DO (6 straight reps) PR

Hookgrip 375 x 1

Clean and Press

140 x 4 presses, 155 x 2 presses PR

Curls

95 x 4 strict, 120 x 5 ran out of time and could only do 1 strict. 

Squat for drinks!!!

Whats going to happen tomorrow? Hopefully I'll be squatting, I better be, I don't know for how many reps?.....the torture never stops. Halloween is getting close!

Edited by Luke Whippo

Saturday 9/14/19

Squat

291 x 13 Not a PR (close) but man oh man that was NICE!

Dead lift 

345 x 3 DO, chalk, x 2 DO Barely (maybe a PR?)

Hookgrip 385 x1 (way easy), (nothing)

clean and press

135 x 7 PR for reps in press!

Curls

123 x 10 P......huckingR

Now the beer is going down nice.......

Edited by Luke Whippo

Ok, so when I was training yesterday it was getting crowded in the place and it was time for my curls, so I try to stay out of people's way because lets face it, curls ain't that important compared to what some other folks may be doing.

I grabbed an odd looking bar, I asked how much does this weigh? 33lb and it was skinnier......so I got to thinking (oh now that miracle) If I think about it, I'll start doing double overhand deads on that skinny bar and I'll record it here when I use it.

See, I'm not knocking thickbar or anything, but I trained on them and a 3"bar for years (I still have a 3" solid steel bar, 75lb). With small hands, I just do not progress on those phuckers. I used them at my maximum and got some open handed strength from it, but I feel better benefits from training close handed strength and with a skinnier bar I can most likely get to 400+ a little quicker? 

Ladies and Gents, 13 reps in the squat is not enough for a Mad Dog..........

385lb dead isn't enough for a Mad Dog.........

I need more,more,more, this is the intensity that's going to happen next time I set foot in a place with weights......

Like a Mad Dog!

• Like 1

Sat 9-21

squat

295 x 14 whoo, felt great!

dead lift

skinny bar (33lb) 344 x 6 DO, phuck yeah, didn’t even need to chalk inbetween reps. PR. That is the best grip work I’ve ever done, closed hand strength! That’s the type of thing that felt like knockout punch power😎

hookgrip

393 x 1 not too bad, I think I was getting tired at this point?

clean and press

143 x 2, 153 x 2, 168 x 1 PR

strict curls

103 x 6 no rest 113 x 4 ran out of time😠

I’m very excited about using this skinny bar in future workouts imo it’s the best thing since.........

PHUCK YEAH, party time!

Sat 9/28/19

Hot and sticky

Squat

warm up 235 x 10, 265 x 6 (sweating bullets, this won't be good).

280 x 15 as fast as possible, went down, drying heaving, purring water over my head. YES, I LOVE TORTURE!

Dead lift

skinny bar 348 x2 DO, chalk, x2 DO PR, couldv' done more, skipped hookgrip, nursing my back from last week. NO BIG DEAL!

btw, I didn't realize that small bar is a women's Olympic bar, not good to use it with that amount of weight. I will continue with a normal bar or use the standard bar I have at home, BUT I NEVER train at home........ No Problem, I'll just do more singles if need be.

Skipped Overheads

Strict curls in the squat rack (50lb power squat bar) 

105 x 3, no rest, 120 x 3, no rest, 125 x 2, no rest, 130 x 1

DOMS in the legs, forearms and Biceps. I loved the squats, but it was so humid.

Edited by Luke Whippo

Wednesday 10/2/19

Dusted off the 3" bar, approx. 75lb added a small plate on each side to get it off the floor, 80lb (maybe a lb under), lifted one hand 3-4 singles each hand. I will lift this every once in a while and work for more and more reps, this will be used as a tool to improve DO deads, not to chase records.

Teethlift, 135lb x1 from parallel squat, not too bad, no warm-up. (pics are below). And that's why I like the "mad dog", feeling real good now, natural HIGH BABY!!!

Edited by Luke Whippo

Saturday 10/5/19

Things are going to be a bit different today, my forearms are still sore from lifting that 3" bar (thats what happens when not touching a thickbar since 2009), the teetlift also had my erectors feeling sore too. I still did DO deads, just a tad lighter and already I can tell the 3" bar helped me. Who knows when I'll be able to train with that bar again, but I ain't getting greedy or obsessive about it, still IMO DO deads on regular bar is KING in building grip strength, the thickbar is just a tool.

Squats

205 x 10, 240 x 8-10 (can't remember)

275 x 10, no rest, 295 x 1

That was all easy stuff, I widened my stance a little to get below parallel, plus my back needs a break, this is first time my back hasn't been severally cramped-up since spring. Well lets face it, first day of nice weather and I chicken $hitted my way out of high rep squats. I'm pissed I didn't do anything near 15 reps. my focus was on deads though.

Dead lifts

320 x 5 DO (pretty easy), 335 x 3 DO, chalk, x 2 

That wasn't bad for having sore forearms, now my forearms/wrists and about shot!

Hookgrip 395 x 1 (way easy) now that's what I wanted today.

Clean and press

140 x 4, 150 x 2.5 (struggled on 3rd and the plate was about to slide off) added clip, 150 x 1 (won't do that without clips again)

Strict Curls

105 x 4, no rest, 115 x 4, no rest, 125 x 1,1-with swing.

Ok day, still pissed I didn't do more on squats.

Edited by Luke Whippo
  • Like 1

Preparing for squats tomorrow, hope no drama stops me. How many reps? How many sets? When will I puss out? 

Edited by Luke Whippo
  • Like 1

Saturday 10/12/19

Squat

135 x 8

185 x 6

215 x 6

240 x 12, rest, 281 x 11, still breathing heavy, 301 x 1 (easy)

The 281 was torture!

Dead lift

350 x 1 DO, chalk, x 3 DO Yes, all time PR for DO reps. I was surprised I got 3 without chalking up again.

Hookgrip 375 x 1, 400 x 1 (easy enough), I was very tired at this point.

clean and press, meh, B.S. worked up to 165 x 1

Curls

Strict, 95 x 1, 115 x 1, 120 x 1

cheat curls, 125 x 6 (exhausted).

Happy with squats form wise, and DO deads, I wasn't happy that I didn't train to the point of near vomiting. Looking forward to next week! 

Edited by Luke Whippo
  • Like 1

Saturday 10/19/19

The day started off good, then went to garbage. 

Squat

135 x 6

185 x 6

205 x 10

240 x 11 Here is where B.S. took place. I was going below parallel and my low back just got totally sore. I don't think below parallel high reps is gong to work every week, it seems I get tired quicker and quicker, like my muscles aren't rested.

285 x 5 below parallel (nursing back)

305 x 1 below parallel (nursing back)

Dead lift-

351 x 1 DO, miss, chalk, x 1 DO (back is very sore now)

Phuck no, on heavier hookgrip.

Clean and press

135 x 8 slight push (nursing back), 145 x 1 strict

Curls- 115 x 6 pretty strict

C & press- 150 x 2 strict

curls- 135 x 4 cheat

C & press- 155 x 1 strict

lots of stretching to be done this week. and back to parallel for higher reps next week. 

So I originally wanted to perform higher reps with that 240 lb getting up to 20 reps, but it looks like I'll just need to go lighter, so next week will be higher reps below parallel as a warm up with under 240 and then going to parallel as I go heavier for like 10 reps or more. Then I may (or may not) perform a heavy single below parallel.

We'll see, the low back seems to be not as sore today. 

This sore back stuff is nothing new, this is a 20+year ordeal, it don't bother me really, but it does affect my decisions on making too big of jumps, this time next year I hope to be routinely dead lifting in the high 300's DO and doing heavier low-mid 400's hookgrip and saying "back pain is no big deal here". 

The back is much better and I've been doing a bunch of bodyweight squats and will point my toes out more which allows to get below parallel much easier. I had all this down 10 years ago. It's going to be a hectic day Saturday, we'll see what happens. 

Edited by Luke Whippo

Sat urday 10/26/19

Not much time today and there was an event at the gym, very hard to get normal training in.......

Squat-

135 x few

199 x 15 below parallel

245 x few (can't remember) below parallel

275 x 6 below parallel

289 x 7 parallel

Dead lift-

351 x 3 singles DO no chalk between reps, PR!

No time for hookgrip.

Clean and press/curls

95 x 1 strict curl

115 x 1 strict, x1 cheat curl

135 x 1 cheat, x1 c&p

155 x 1 cheat curl, x 1 c&p

170 x 1 c&p slight push, could be a PR?

Gotta go, feel good, didn't train that hard, should be good for next week then, but still feel good, DOMS in grip, legs and back! HALLOWEEN PARTY TIME!

Edited by Luke Whippo

I've woken up every morning this week, I get up and my back feels awesome. I can't phuck'in wait to squat!!! GAWWWWW!

It's Halloween, this is nice show recorded Oct 20, 1968..........