Joe Sullivan Midsummer grip classic 2019

Midsummer grip classic 2019 Has wrapped up this afternoon. This is my 3rd Attendance in a Canadian Grip sport Competition. This competition was run by Eric Roussin. The events consisted of 20 mm block Set grippers, two Hands  flask,  2 3/8 inch wrist wrench, and the arm assassin strength shop mini inch pinch. First,  I would like to thank Canada for welcoming me as usual and a thank you to Justin Major for having me come the night early so I did not have to make the drive the morning of, very appreciative brother . On to the events.

First was the weigh in. The heavyweight division consisted of only a 105+ class. I was nearly 290 pounds a little over a month ago. That put me in the 120+ category. I changed my diet a little bit because ever since I got into grip the lifting  has made me grow A little bit more than I should have. I have a high-class problem. I could manipulate my bodyweight to be as high or as low as I’d like depending on my diet. I have been a little too liberal with the food thinking that it would get me stronger and that it was fun. I am in my 40s now, so health has to be paramount. So I went from 290 to 263 this morning bringing me down a weight class to the 120 class. Good news is I no longer snore, my heart rate resting Has returned to between 55 and 60 bpm, no lethargy in  the heat, And no pain in my knees. I have never had pain in my knees in my life, but once I got over the 280 pound mark, I started having pain in my knees when I got up from chairs. That is totally gone now. Not worth being 290 pounds if it’s going to affect my health. My health has always been the most important thing to me. I am actually contemplating going down to the 231 Pound class, but with my 6’4” frame I think I would look anorexic at that weight..  Long story short, I have only lost body fat with minimal muscle loss, however, I could definitely feel that I’ve lost nearly 30 pounds and I was not as intense as I have been. Will take a couple of weeks to get used to it.  

20 mm block set grippers 

As most of you know, if you don’t know me by now, I do not set grippers. I just swipe the block as a formality as this is required. I topped out with a no set Of a 155 pound gripper and just barely missed a 162 with a no set. Very happy with those results ! This was good for top three in this event scoring a bronze medal.  

Two hands flask

Also, many of you know that I do not care for pinching. If I had to choose between one hand or two hand I would definitely pick two hands pinch. Did not practice this much, the flask tears my hands if I go over 180 pounds for reps  and I also get a strange wrist  shock when I lower the weight to the ground. This is the only device this happens with ( wrist shock) For me. I believe I topped out at 195 pounds and just could not squeak  out 205 pounds

Official 2 3/8 inch wrist wrench

Was expecting a little more out of this one. I’ve gotten 103 pounds pretty easily   For full lockout  at home, got a little over 100 pounds for my top lift. My goal was to get at least 100 for the competition. I hit my target. Nothing ever works out totally the way you want with the variables of competition. There are so many other things going on and most of the time we do not hit our garage or basement lifts All the time.

Arm assassin strength  shop mini inch pinch

Touched  this one a handful of times. I actually like the feel of it and find it beneficial for thumb strength, At least that’s my initial impression using it a few times. I cannot remember what I topped out at, I believe it was 45 or 46 pounds. Enough to make top three for a bronze medal in this event.

30 item medley three minute time limit 

This medley was definitely for the stronger crowd. The items that were in this medley were heavier than most medleys I have read about, I have competed in two medleys before  and this one was heavier than those on most items. There were quite a few items that I have never tried before. I can’t remember if I got 23 or 22 items out of the 30. You all can reference what items were there on the Midsummer grip classic description by Eric Roussin On the contest section.  Scored third place in the medley for another bronze medal for a total of three bronze medals behind Eric Roussin and Justin Major. This has been the status quo for us  In all of the Canada competitions I have attended, this is the third one.  It always comes down to us three and it is quite exciting! 

All in all I scored second in the 105+ weight class, third place overall and three bronze medals in addition to the second place trophy. Nice to go home with a few goodies for the memories. Eric always has the best medals  and trophies for incentive. Makes the experience Extra special, and he is very creative with the hardware. Thank you Eric! And thank you Justin for your hospitality! Here are a few shots of us, and myself and Dan Fleming , as well.

F6A1575C-0CD3-4841-B2E9-FDB10A1F4DAD.jpeg

99466BAF-9ED5-4FAC-B5D5-674BF99CE041.jpeg

1338752C-24CB-45A7-BB12-4463C3736A18.jpeg

CB47D36C-F6E0-4CA5-A9B2-597946E20E5D.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Excellent result, congrats.

I'm curious what type of problem you're experiencing with the 2HP. I'm also getting problems with my wrists from it. I can't train it because of it. For me it's the torque that I'm applying that causes it but I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

Excellent result, congrats.

I'm curious what type of problem you're experiencing with the 2HP. I'm also getting problems with my wrists from it. I can't train it because of it.

Only on the flask and only during the setting down phase. It’s because it is fixed to the pin with no free movement. I can slightly tilt a euro or a Saxon pinch into wrist flexion, but the fixed pin flask does not allow that. I get pain when I go over 180 on it. Not a fan at all. I can Euro pinch 220 on a good day and no pain.