Brian Shaw Pinch Old School York 45's

Fist of Fury

This is an awesome Video. The fact that These are Paul Anderson's plates, just cool :rock:rock

"I thought that would actually be harder"

Haha what a jerk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hope everyone is watching the series. It's very cool.  I figured Brian would get these, but Eddie getting them just goes to show how all these guys have amazing grips.

I do wonder how many takes it took for Eddie to lift them.  Although he did break them half way the first time he touched them.

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I hope everyone is watching the series. It's very cool.  I figured Brian would get these, but Eddie getting them just goes to show how all these guys have amazing grips.

I do wonder how many takes it took for Eddie to lift them.  Although he did break them half way the first time he touched them.

Eddie has excellent pinch strength, 38 kg on the Goldbar pinch!

• Like 2

I have said it many times, the only reason our grip records level off so sharply above the 105 kg class is because the truly giant and athletic people are interested in other stuff or at least not interested competing with us. Shows the relevance of weight classes. Both super strong and super heavy (as in muscular heavy). I don't think Eddie has huge hands by the look of it.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I have said it many times, the only reason our grip records level off so sharply above the 105 kg class is because the truly giant and athletic people are interested in other stuff or at least not interested competing with us. Shows the relevance of weight classes. Both super strong and super heavy (as in muscular heavy). I don't think Eddie has huge hands by the look of it.

Yes, imagine if someone like Brian and Eddie actually trained specifically for grip events 2-3 times a week over a period of 4-5 years. I usually hate to speculate on things that hasn’t happened. But surely the records in the heavyweight division would be higher than where they are at today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Agreed.  There are guys out there that are physically in a different galaxy than your normal large strength trained individual.  Superhumans if you will.

I think Eddie has larger than average hands.  Not Shaw mitts or anything.  He's 6'3" and well over 300.  Probably 8 - 8.5" I would bet.  Just look small next to all the 6'6" - 6'10" guys he competes against.  lol.  He looks like he gets a pretty good wrap over those wide plates (4").   He looks to have what I call pinch hands.  Very wide and sausages for fingers for extra surface area.  Of course Shaw has hands like that and they are over 9 inches, so everything is relative.  ;)  No matter what size hands he has, the fact that he could pinch those plates means he has better wide pinch grip strength than all but a few of us in the grip world, without really concentrating on it.

• Like 2

In before this thread gets off at the wrong exit and gets closed.

I watched episode 1 yesterday and really enjoyed it. Happy for these guys.

Can't understand a damn thing Eddie says though, so I have to watch with subtitles 🤣

• Haha 2

I think Eddie has lost ~100lbs since he won WSM and he is still huge. The abuse these guys put there bodies through just packing on weight (and what they take 'med wise' to pack on the weight) is amazing and borderline dangerous. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackjaw said:

I think Eddie has lost ~100lbs since he won WSM and he is still huge. The abuse these guys put there bodies through just packing on weight (and what they take 'med wise' to pack on the weight) is amazing and borderline dangerous. 

Nobody thinks about the work in expelling all that food too.  Can't remember which wsm competitor it was, but I saw an interview where he was asked if it was hard to eat over 10,000 calories a day.  His reply was, "it's a full time job, but getting rid of it is harder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Can't understand a damn thing Eddie says though, so I have to watch with subtitles 🤣

👍👍

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Just watched all seven videos. Wish they were longer.

13 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Just watched all seven videos. Wish they were longer.

The hour long episodes are on the history channel Wednesday night and on demand.

What a bunch of cool dudes. Seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The hour long episodes are on the history channel Wednesday night and on demand.

We have to wait until August :(

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I didn't see this post. I just figured it out during lunch today. Yes, on demand, very cool. Looks like there are three so far, and a total of five. 

It's quite something when you have 60 year old secretaries and and 70 year old Rotary Club members telling you about something you had no idea was running on television. And the thing is, they really have been enjoying the series, and are not "strength" types either.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I didn't see this post. I just figured it out during lunch today. Yes, on demand, very cool. Looks like there are three so far, and a total of five. 

It's quite something when you have 60 year old secretaries and and 70 year old Rotary Club members telling you about something you had no idea was running on television. And the thing is, they really have been enjoying the series, and are not "strength" types either.

It's really well done.

20 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Yes, imagine if someone like Brian and Eddie actually trained specifically for grip events 2-3 times a week over a period of 4-5 years. I usually hate to speculate on things that hasn’t happened. But surely the records in the heavyweight division would be higher than where they are at today.

This is literally what they have been doing for a decade + and sometimes it would be more than that. Becca right now is in prep for Britain's strongest woman and at the start of her prep for worlds strongest woman. Wednesday she did sandbag toss with a 14kg sandbag for 4+ metres maybe 20 times which puts a lot of stress on the grip to hold onto it, then she did axle clean and press to 100kg, did that 4-5 times double overhand with a good high pull each time, then moved onto log which has a thick handle. Tomorrow she's going upto 240kg total on banded deadlifts, will most likely go to 160kg + double overhand in warm ups. She's also doing sand bag / implement loading and an 350kg or so drag, powerstairs training etc There's a heck of a lot of stuff that has a high element of grip and none of this is even actual grip training specifically, that gets done on top a lot of times. The reason these guys have such strong grips is because they lift crazy poundages and have been for years and years. Any good strongman competitor only uses straps when they have to or when they are resting it because it's tired or getting a lot of work with something else. Events and assistance exercises are almost always done without straps. Events for worlds strongest woman Viking press - no grip, farmers walk only 1 drop allowed - big grip element, deadlift medley done for speed so straps take too long last deadlift 250kg - big element of grip, load and drag at 300kg + big sled - big element of grip, axle clean and press - big element of grip, powerstairs - big element of grip. This is how the sport is, it's very grip intensive, training any more would just be overtraining, they do as much as they can already.

4 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

This is literally what they have been doing for a decade + and sometimes it would be more than that. Becca right now is in prep for Britain's strongest woman and at the start of her prep for worlds strongest woman. Wednesday she did sandbag toss with a 14kg sandbag for 4+ metres maybe 20 times which puts a lot of stress on the grip to hold onto it, then she did axle clean and press to 100kg, did that 4-5 times double overhand with a good high pull each time, then moved onto log which has a thick handle. Tomorrow she's going upto 240kg total on banded deadlifts, will most likely go to 160kg + double overhand in warm ups. She's also doing sand bag / implement loading and an 350kg or so drag, powerstairs training etc There's a heck of a lot of stuff that has a high element of grip and none of this is even actual grip training specifically, that gets done on top a lot of times. The reason these guys have such strong grips is because they lift crazy poundages and have been for years and years. Any good strongman competitor only uses straps when they have to or when they are resting it because it's tired or getting a lot of work with something else. Events and assistance exercises are almost always done without straps. Events for worlds strongest woman Viking press - no grip, farmers walk only 1 drop allowed - big grip element, deadlift medley done for speed so straps take too long last deadlift 250kg - big element of grip, load and drag at 300kg + big sled - big element of grip, axle clean and press - big element of grip, powerstairs - big element of grip. This is how the sport is, it's very grip intensive, training any more would just be overtraining, they do as much as they can already.

I always wonder why so many don’t think that what they do is not already massively  grip related. Their grips are already trained intensely for grip and grip related implements fit right in with the strengths they have. I don’t think their grips would get that much stronger if they just focused on grip, as their training focuses on grip in a big way already. But, who knows? You’re gonna have a strong grip whether or not you touch one of the implements we use with the type of training they do. No brainer and fit right in to any grip task around. Only thing would be the learning  curve for some of the stranger implements out there. 

Edited by Guest

Anyone else rooting for "The Average Joe" Cameraman Ian to make a strong comeback?

The past events haven't been in his favor but I have a feeling he can close the gap a little bit in episodes 4 and 5.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I always wonder why so many don’t think that what they do is not already massively  grip related. Their grips are already trained intensely for grip and grip related implements fit right in with the strengths they have. I don’t think their grips would get that much stronger if they just focused on grip, as their training focuses on grip in a big way already. But, who knows? You’re gonna have a strong grip whether or not you touch one of the implements we use with the type of training they do. No brainer and fit right in to any grip task around. Only thing would be the learning  curve for some of the stranger implements out there. 

How much pinch grip training do they do?

Nobody is saying these guys don't train their grip.  They do and that's one of the reasons they have a strong grip.  What people are saying is, what if the concentrated on grip and spent a year learning the technique of the individual lifts.  They would be unstoppable. 

22 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Last night, I binged. Saw all three episodes to date. It was nice to hear so much mention of Thomas Topham, 18th Century English strongman. Not much on this forum about him. A dozen years ago, I purchased David Horne’s last copy of his (and Elizabeth’s) book on Topham. Maybe I will actually get around to reading it now!

But the Brian versus Nick one upping each other on the Topham stunt was as good as anything you could watch. Best, at his age, showed grit that was over the top. 

Definitely worth watching, four stars.👍👍👍👍

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

How much pinch grip training do they do?

Nobody is saying these guys don't train their grip.  They do and that's one of the reasons they have a strong grip.  What people are saying is, what if the concentrated on grip and spent a year learning the technique of the individual lifts.  They would be unstoppable. 

Most likely, yes, and good point about the pinch....  I hate pinch myself, and rarely train it....and didn’t even think about it, but if a Shaw or Hafthor focused on it, of course there would be no stopping them.