Jump to content
Joseph Sullivan

Spin off.... summer of “ STRICT pull ups” (all kinds)

Recommended Posts

Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)

Just started doing chins and pull ups of all kinds a few weeks ago. @Kluv#0 inspired me with the “summer of rows”.... here is a fitting spin off to the genre of back/grip MADNESS. Only guide line for this thread is to keep them as strict as possible. No cross fit sloppiness. Any and all styles of pull ups and chins welcome. 

Here are 15 strict thumbless 2 inch bar neutral grip pull ups at 275 body weight at 6’4. I try to do them dead hang each rep. 

 

Edited by Joseph Sullivan
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king crusher

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
4 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

I can do the same amount of reps regardless of the grip. And this was a 2 inch bar thumbless. Not your  regular thin bar, so that makes a huge difference. When I was 230 I could do 27 reps. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shoggoth
7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

 

A80038B0-2116-4E88-BA34-5CA131B30AF1.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

Great stuff man. I'll have to save this for the next time some 180 pounder complains about being "too heavy" to do pull ups. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

And the description states “any style”.... as long as they stay in the realm of strict. I don’t find any style much harder easier than the other when talking about neutral, supinated or pronated. They all feel about the same to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just started doing chins and pull ups of all kinds a few weeks ago. @Kluv#0 inspired me with the “summer of rows”.... here is a fitting spin off to the genre of back/grip MADNESS. Only guide line for this thread is to keep them as strict as possible. No cross fit sloppiness. Any and all styles of pull ups and chins welcome. 

Here are 15 strict thumbless 2 inch bar neutral grip pull ups at 275 body weight at 6’4. I try to do them dead hang each rep. 

 

Great job Joe! I will do a vid next week as this A.M. I did my weekly pullup total.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Great job Joe! I will do a vid next week as this A.M. I did my weekly pullup total.

 Thanks, Mike! These kinds of threads are a lot of fun. Good motivation.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0
1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

And the description states “any style”.... as long as they stay in the realm of strict. I don’t find any style much harder easier than the other when talking about neutral, supinated or pronated. They all feel about the same to me. 

Iam sure any style is beneficial. I have never done chins but no regrets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kluv#0
4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

 Thanks, Mike! These kinds of threads are a lot of fun. Good motivation.... 

No doubt! You will get Adam, Tanner and some other monsters to do some crazy stuff. Jedd at 256 BWT did 21 reps Regular grip which is amazing for his size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

No doubt! You will get Adam, Tanner and some other monsters to do some crazy stuff. Jedd at 256 BWT did 21 reps Regular grip which is amazing for his size.

Jedd has? At 256?? Would love to see that video. That’s awesome 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Nice job Joe!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nice job Joe!

Thanks, Mike. Feels good to be doing fall sorts of pull ups again. Don’t know why I scrapped them for so long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Great stuff man. I'll have to save this for the next time some 180 pounder complains about being "too heavy" to do pull ups. 

Yes, indeed. I concur! Thanks, Mike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Great stuff man. I'll have to save this for the next time some 180 pounder complains about being "too heavy" to do pull ups. 

Right?! 

My 295 pound ass can only manage 5 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
devinhoo
3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just started doing chins and pull ups of all kinds a few weeks ago. @Kluv#0 inspired me with the “summer of rows”.... here is a fitting spin off to the genre of back/grip MADNESS. Only guide line for this thread is to keep them as strict as possible. No cross fit sloppiness. Any and all styles of pull ups and chins welcome. 

Here are 15 strict thumbless 2 inch bar neutral grip pull ups at 275 body weight at 6’4. I try to do them dead hang each rep. 

 

Sounds like it's the summer of gettin' big guns! 💪🏻 @Kluv#0

Suns Out Guns Out jokes aside, I remember you talking once about how your base of strength comes from doing a zillion pull ups when you were younger. Clearly still paying off. 👍🏻

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
2 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Sounds like it's the summer of gettin' big guns! 💪🏻 @Kluv#0

Suns Out Guns Out jokes aside, I remember you talking once about how your base of strength comes from doing a zillion pull ups when you were younger. Clearly still paying off. 👍🏻

Totally agree! If you just do rows and all sorts of pull ups, your strength level will sky rocket 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
3 hours ago, king crusher said:

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

 

D20ED955-4545-4469-B908-003BAB7813A3.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully

I think your set is amazing Joe. High bw kills pull ups usually. 

Everyone has opinions on form regarding pull ups, look at the cross fit weirdos, they think fish pull ups is good form. It's hilarious. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks, Mike. Feels good to be doing fall sorts of pull ups again. Don’t know why I scrapped them for so long. 

I scrapped them cause I got fat and it's no fun.  Now that I'm back down in the 260s, maybe I'll give them a whirl again.  Maybe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
8 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Jedd has? At 256?? Would love to see that video. That’s awesome 

I did 30 at 270 once.

 

 

 

 

Of course it took me all day, but dagnabbit, I did them.  😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David_wigren

Those reps were fine. You’re always going to have someone argue what constitutes as strict or not. I’ve pretty much stopped using the term “strict” when it comes to pullups. I use the term “gym style”. Which means that even though the form might not be absolutely perfect, they are still good enough not to have people laugh at you if you were to do them at a gym.

Pullups are super fun when you weigh sub 180 lbs. I go up and down so effortlessly 😅.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully

For 'strict' form:

In my opinion each rep should go to dead hang, which would mean completely locked out elbows with elevated scapula. A seconds pause at the bottom so one cannot rely on 'stretch reflex' when going up. 

No body english in any form allowed, straight legs, spine should keep the same form throughout the whole movement. The whole chin should cross the bar without cranking the neck or 'reaching over' with the chin. The chin should be kept perpendicular to the floor, perhaps kept at a slight angle for comfortability. Straight back, arched back, both is fine imo. At the top I also think you should primarily use the rhomboids to get the last rom instead of using the bicep. 

Because of their difficulty, I think chest to bar pull ups should count as a separate exercise. If one is a form purist and only count those as strict form, you are selling yourself short if you stop the movement because the chest cannot touch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Royz

Very impressive at that bodyweight!I Totally suck at pullups. Ever since I got elbow problems (golf elbow) from doing fatgrip pullups regularly a few years back I just can't seem to build my pullup strength back up. Bw 230lb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I think your set is amazing Joe. High bw kills pull ups usually. 

Everyone has opinions on form regarding pull ups, look at the cross fit weirdos, they think fish pull ups is good form. It's hilarious. 

I don’t see how my form could be critiqued in a negative way  in this set... but hey, what do I know? Thanks man! 🤷‍♂️.  Any of the negative critiques care to strap weight on to make their body weight 275 and care to emulate my form AND get 15? That would be cool to see. There was no kipping, minimal body English and pretty darned full down and up each rep. But, the negatives are always expected and fuel the fire of striving for “form perfection”. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Joseph Sullivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.