Spin off.... summer of “ STRICT pull ups” (all kinds)

Just started doing chins and pull ups of all kinds a few weeks ago. @Kluv#0 inspired me with the “summer of rows”.... here is a fitting spin off to the genre of back/grip MADNESS. Only guide line for this thread is to keep them as strict as possible. No cross fit sloppiness. Any and all styles of pull ups and chins welcome. 

Here are 15 strict thumbless 2 inch bar neutral grip pull ups at 275 body weight at 6’4. I try to do them dead hang each rep. 

Edited by Guest

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

That palms facing close grip is much easier than a true pull up.

Still good work though, keep grindin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Good job at that bodyweight.  The last five were dead hang.  And the last three were not as high as the others.

I can do the same amount of reps regardless of the grip. And this was a 2 inch bar thumbless. Not your  regular thin bar, so that makes a huge difference. When I was 230 I could do 27 reps. 

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

A80038B0-2116-4E88-BA34-5CA131B30AF1.jpeg

• Haha 3

Great stuff man. I'll have to save this for the next time some 180 pounder complains about being "too heavy" to do pull ups. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

And the description states “any style”.... as long as they stay in the realm of strict. I don’t find any style much harder easier than the other when talking about neutral, supinated or pronated. They all feel about the same to me. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Just started doing chins and pull ups of all kinds a few weeks ago. @Kluv#0 inspired me with the “summer of rows”.... here is a fitting spin off to the genre of back/grip MADNESS. Only guide line for this thread is to keep them as strict as possible. No cross fit sloppiness. Any and all styles of pull ups and chins welcome. 

Here are 15 strict thumbless 2 inch bar neutral grip pull ups at 275 body weight at 6’4. I try to do them dead hang each rep. 

Great job Joe! I will do a vid next week as this A.M. I did my weekly pullup total.

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

Great job Joe! I will do a vid next week as this A.M. I did my weekly pullup total.

Thanks, Mike! These kinds of threads are a lot of fun. Good motivation.... 

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

And the description states “any style”.... as long as they stay in the realm of strict. I don’t find any style much harder easier than the other when talking about neutral, supinated or pronated. They all feel about the same to me. 

Iam sure any style is beneficial. I have never done chins but no regrets.

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks, Mike! These kinds of threads are a lot of fun. Good motivation.... 

No doubt! You will get Adam, Tanner and some other monsters to do some crazy stuff. Jedd at 256 BWT did 21 reps Regular grip which is amazing for his size.

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

No doubt! You will get Adam, Tanner and some other monsters to do some crazy stuff. Jedd at 256 BWT did 21 reps Regular grip which is amazing for his size.

Jedd has? At 256?? Would love to see that video. That’s awesome 

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nice job Joe!

Thanks, Mike. Feels good to be doing fall sorts of pull ups again. Don’t know why I scrapped them for so long. 

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Great stuff man. I'll have to save this for the next time some 180 pounder complains about being "too heavy" to do pull ups. 

Yes, indeed. I concur! Thanks, Mike!

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Right?! 

My 295 pound ass can only manage 5 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Sounds like it's the summer of gettin' big guns! 💪🏻 @Kluv#0

Suns Out Guns Out jokes aside, I remember you talking once about how your base of strength comes from doing a zillion pull ups when you were younger. Clearly still paying off. 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Sounds like it's the summer of gettin' big guns! 💪🏻 @Kluv#0

Suns Out Guns Out jokes aside, I remember you talking once about how your base of strength comes from doing a zillion pull ups when you were younger. Clearly still paying off. 👍🏻

Totally agree! If you just do rows and all sorts of pull ups, your strength level will sky rocket 

3 hours ago, king crusher said:

D20ED955-4545-4469-B908-003BAB7813A3.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks, Mike. Feels good to be doing fall sorts of pull ups again. Don’t know why I scrapped them for so long. 

I scrapped them cause I got fat and it's no fun.  Now that I'm back down in the 260s, maybe I'll give them a whirl again.  Maybe...

8 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Jedd has? At 256?? Would love to see that video. That’s awesome 

I did 30 at 270 once.

Of course it took me all day, but dagnabbit, I did them.  😉

Those reps were fine. You’re always going to have someone argue what constitutes as strict or not. I’ve pretty much stopped using the term “strict” when it comes to pullups. I use the term “gym style”. Which means that even though the form might not be absolutely perfect, they are still good enough not to have people laugh at you if you were to do them at a gym.

Pullups are super fun when you weigh sub 180 lbs. I go up and down so effortlessly 😅.

• Like 2

Very impressive at that bodyweight!I Totally suck at pullups. Ever since I got elbow problems (golf elbow) from doing fatgrip pullups regularly a few years back I just can't seem to build my pullup strength back up. Bw 230lb.

3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I think your set is amazing Joe. High bw kills pull ups usually. 

Everyone has opinions on form regarding pull ups, look at the cross fit weirdos, they think fish pull ups is good form. It's hilarious. 

I don’t see how my form could be critiqued in a negative way  in this set... but hey, what do I know? Thanks man! 🤷‍♂️.  Any of the negative critiques care to strap weight on to make their body weight 275 and care to emulate my form AND get 15? That would be cool to see. There was no kipping, minimal body English and pretty darned full down and up each rep. But, the negatives are always expected and fuel the fire of striving for “form perfection”. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t see how my form could be critiqued in a negative way  in this set... but hey, what do I know? Thanks man! 🤷‍♂️ 

You cheated the feat!

Number of reps:

0 0 0 0image.jpg

0 0 images.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 1