Spin off.... summer of “ STRICT pull ups” (all kinds)

I find doing pull-ups on a non-rotating thickbar actually easier than on a thinner bar and neutral grip about 15-20lbs stronger on my 1RM. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I find doing pull-ups on a non-rotating thickbar actually easier than on a thinner bar and neutral grip about 15-20lbs stronger on my 1RM. 

Great input, Luke! 

I don’t really notice a difference when the bar is fixed, between neutral, pronated , or supinated with a shoulder width grip. Rolling bars? For sure.

I seem to be able to knock out a rep or two more on chin ups (supinated) vs. Pull ups (pronated), but not a huge difference.  They do hit my back differently though.  Chins seem to hit my lower lats and mid back more, while pull ups hit my upper lats and back more.

49 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t see how my form could be critiqued in a negative way  in this set... but hey, what do I know? Thanks man! 🤷‍♂️.  Any of the negative critiques care to strap weight on to make their body weight 275 and care to emulate my form AND get 15? That would be cool to see. There was no kipping, minimal body English and pretty darned full down and up each rep. But, the negatives are always expected and fuel the fire of striving for “form perfection”. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I actually think it’s harder than just the added weight. When you’re larger there is also more meat on the arms that will create extra resistance, especially the further up you go. I think this is the main reason why so few of the top strongman that are able to do full range pull ups. They’re strong enough for it, it’s just that when the chin approaches the bar, the meat around the elbow crease really starts to mash together to create much more resistance. I’ve seen video of some of the strong guys like Terry Hollands and Jesse Marunde back in the days be able to do 10-15 partial pullups with relative ease. But struggle real hard just to do one single full range one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I actually think it’s harder than just the added weight. When you’re larger there is also more meat on the arms that will create extra resistance, especially the further up you go. I think this is the main reason why so few of the top strongman that are able to do full range pull ups. They’re strong enough for it, it’s just that when the chin approaches the bar, the meat around the elbow crease really starts to mash together to create much more resistance. I’ve seen video of some of the strong guys like Terry Hollands and Jesse Marunde back in the days be able to do 10-15 partial pullups with relative ease. But struggle real hard just to do one single full range one.

I definitely agree with that.

Just my opinion - dead hang pull ups shouldn't be performed. You can extend your arms almost all the way, but don't unlock your shoulders, especially if you're very explosive from the bottom. It removes the muscle tension from the lats while you're at the bottom, then you instantly contract very hard and it's a huge shock to the muscles and the surrounding connective soft tissue. Also it has no carryover to anything, since you will need to have tension prior to pulling anything in a real life situation. Dead hangs are great for shoulder health, but doing pull ups like that is not, if you have to do it that way, do it very slow.

Edit: great work on the pull ups Joe, but I wasn't expecting any less :)

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Just my opinion - dead hang pull ups shouldn't be performed. You can extend your arms almost all the way, but don't unlock your shoulders, especially if you're very explosive from the bottom. It removes the muscle tension from the lats while you're at the bottom, then you instantly contract very hard and it's a huge shock to the muscles and the surrounding connective soft tissue. Also it has no carryover to anything, since you will need to have tension prior to pulling anything in a real life situation. Dead hangs are great for shoulder health, but doing pull ups like that is not, if you have to do it that way, do it very slow.

Edit: great work on the pull ups Joe, but I wasn't expecting any less :)

Thanks brother! Great post as well 

Of course I had to do neutral grip pull-ups today lol.

They are much easier imo then a traditional pull up, but I can only speak for myself.

I did these after my full high volume deficit deadlift session so not fresh(I feel 2-3 more reps would be very likely fresh)

Here is my offering with +70lbs added to my morning bw of 201lbs.

And after the weighted pull-ups (I did four sets) I did a set with just my bodyweight. 

I dont know why the heck the one video came out sideways.....any computer guys that can rotate it?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Of course I had to do neutral grip pull-ups today lol.

They are much easier imo then a traditional pull up, but I can only speak for myself.

I did these after my full high volume deficit deadlift session so not fresh(I feel 2-3 more reps would be very likely fresh)

Here is my offering with +70lbs added to my morning bw of 201lbs.

And after the weighted pull-ups (I did four sets) I did a set with just my bodyweight. 

I dont know why the heck the one video came out sideways.....any computer guys that can rotate it?

Very impressive KC!

• Thanks 1

I’m probably taking way too much water over my head with this statement but I feel like I could probably do about 45-50 consecutive reps on a pullup bar with a neutral grip using similar “gym-style” form. I’ll give it a go if I actually ever find myself at a gym.😅

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I’m probably taking way too much water over my head with this statement but I feel like I could probably do about 45-50 consecutive reps on a pullup bar with a neutral grip using similar “gym-style” form. I’ll give it a go if I actually ever find myself at a gym.😅

Don't worry about the water buddy... fish swim.

• Haha 1

7/25/19 Fat Gripz pull-ups x 10 3/4   BWT 225.  FG width on bar is 2 1/4"

Edited by Kluv#0
spell
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

7/25/19 Fat Gripz pull-ups x 10 3/4   BWT 225.  FG width on bar is 2 1/4"

Very nice! Calves are looking SWOLE when you hopped up on the bar, Miguel!

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Very nice! Calves are looking SWOLE when you hopped up on the bar, Miguel!

HA HA- the one body part I work the hardest on and they still 16" but they do have a diamond shape, LOL. I have a brother-in-law who never works on his calves and has 18"

There's some pretty impressive pullups in this thread, especially for big guys. I'm just getting back into pullups, do you mind if I post a vid in this thread some time in the next few days?

I can't rep out like that yet but I should be good for a few good reps.

Edited by Raymond
brainfade

18 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

HA HA- the one body part I work the hardest on and they still 16" but they do have a diamond shape, LOL. I have a brother-in-law who never works on his calves and has 18"

Measured mine at nationals.. I do nothing for them... no I’m at a loss for words ... 19.5.... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Guest

Heck yeah, Summer of pullups and rows! Joe at 275 BWT  x 15 is truly remarkable so don't think that is common! I run my own race and admire other vids but I post away regardless.

6 minutes ago, Raymond said:

There's some pretty impressive pullups in this thread, especially for big guys. I'm just getting back into pullups, do you mind if I post a vid in this thread some time in the next few days?

I can't rep out like that yet but I should be good for a good reps.

This is for anyone that wants to post pull ups. Thanks for your polite request! POST AWAY BIG MAN!! This is an “all inclusive” thread.🤡

Edited by Guest

I slaughtered that sentence that you quoted, now I'm immortalized forever as a grammatical try hard.😀 It's the thought that counts.

I'll dust off the pullup bar and see what I can do when I get a chance.

• Like 1

This was a video I shot the day after my 50th. It was about 44 deg C in the house and I was still a bit drunk from the keg party that went down the night before. It's a bit half arsed and I didn't go into a dead hang on most of the reps, most of it it was just a warmup to see if I still had a OAC in the 50 year YO carcass. I missed the OAC but it was pretty close. The first set was +24kg, the second was +32kg and the third was a single chinup with 60kg @ about 80kg bodyweight.

My apologies if you can't see the vid, I've never uploaded anything to youtube before.

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Raymond said:

This was a video I shot the day after my 50th. It was about 44 deg C in the house and I was still a bit drunk from the keg party that went down the night before. It's a bit half arsed and I didn't go into a dead hang on most of the reps, most of it it was just a warmup to see if I still had a OAC in the 50 year YO carcass. I missed the OAC but it was pretty close. The first set was +24kg, the second was +32kg and the third was a single chinup with 60kg @ about 80kg bodyweight.

My apologies if you can't see the vid, I've never uploaded anything to youtube before.

Nice job! I love the thick bar on the chains with optional rolling handles 

6 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Nice job! I love the thick bar on the chains with optional rolling handles 

Thanks @Joseph Sullivan

That's actually one of my thinner bars, I also have a fat bar that's 60mm with rolling handles and the  handles are about 69mm. It's fun watching bodybuilders slip of those things without doing one rep, with the bar being hung on chains it wants to swing away from you when you grip it on the handles.  It's not really any more difficult than a fixed bar, it's more of a proprioceptive challenge that most people have never encountered and it messes with their head. My 12 YO son can do pullups on the rolling handles on of both of those bars and my vertical pullup handles, he evens skins the cat on the vertical handles. Weighing next to nothing helps a lot in that respect.

Edited by Raymond

This may be the hardest and most painful variant of pull ups/chin ups I have tried. 265 pounds today. This was after a buffet assault and after high rep sledgehammer wrist ulnar and radial deviation exercises.... so may have gotten more reps if my forearms were not already fried, I do not know. 

Finger tip chin ups with palm and forearm flush with the beam of a barn. The wood was not smooth. Felt like my skin was going to rip off. Did 3 sets of 7 reps. I would compare this kind of pull up to a preacher bench curl, as there’s no movement of the lower arm at all due to being flush against the wood. Hard as can be.  

Edited by Guest