New to gripping, couple questions, hand size etc.

DigitallyEndowed

So I just got the CoC #1 and #2 to get me started.

I can close the #1 pretty easily but only about 5 times, and can get the # 2 about 1cm away from a close.

Is this a decent starting point considering I've never done any grip work before? 

My hands are only like 7.5 inches maybe slightly less. Do you think it's possible to reach the #3 or above? I've noticed most people seem to have huge hands...buggers lol.

Also will grip training make my hands thicker or possibly slightly longer?

Lastly, any tips to help me close the #2? I can get it real close but the last bit is much harder.

Cheers!

It's up to you if you put in the work to close the 3, I can tell you that your hand size will not make it inpossible. 

Grip training may increase thickness but won't increase length. 

I would start with some basic rep work on the 1 until it's easy. Try to resist the temptation to constantly try the 2. Most common failures are due to over training too soon and trying max attempts too often. 

• Thanks 1

Three months ago I could barely close a #1. Now I’m around a #2.5. When I was working with the #1 trying to close the #2 I started doing 3-5 sets of as many reps as I could close with the #, three days per week. Then when it was pretty easy I filed it down and kept doing the same but you could buy a #1.5  to get you closer to the #2. You probably won’t see much size difference in your hands for a long time. Right now just focus on getting your hands used to the grippers and work on setting the gripper properly in your hand. There is a good Paul Knight video about that

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

It's up to you if you put in the work to close the 3, I can tell you that your hand size will not make it inpossible. 

I would start with some basic rep work on the 1 until it's easy. Try to resist the temptation to constantly try the 2. Most common failures are due to over training too soon and trying max attempts too often. 

Cheers for the advice mate, I was thinking along those lines, keep working on the #1 till it feels like those crappy fake grippers from the supermarket lol, then do the same with the #2 etc. 

6 minutes ago, Shal9097 said:

Three months ago I could barely close a #1. Now I’m around a #2.5. When I was working with the #1 trying to close the #2 I started doing 3-5 sets of as many reps as I could close with the #, three days per week. Then when it was pretty easy I filed it down and kept doing the same but you could buy a #1.5  to get you closer to the #2. You probably won’t see much size difference in your hands for a long time. Right now just focus on getting your hands used to the grippers and work on setting the gripper properly in your hand. There is a good Paul Knight video about that

Nice man that's great advice and encouraging to hear, 3 months sounds like very quick progress considering you're almost at the #3 now. I'll take a look at that video.

54 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Sure you are talking about your hands here?

Some men are longer than others

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DigitallyEndowed said:

I can close the #1 pretty easily but only about 5 times, and can get the # 2 about 1cm away from a close.

Is this a decent starting point considering I've never done any grip work before? 

My hands are only like 7.5 inches maybe slightly less. Do you think it's possible to reach the #3 or above? I've noticed most people seem to have huge hands...buggers lol.

Lastly, any tips to help me close the #2? I can get it real close but the last bit is much harder.

Cheers!

Definitely possible!  My hands are 7.5 inches, and I started from closing a 1.5 for a few reps and almost a 2.  It took about a week to get the 2, another six months to get the 2.5, and another year to get the 3.  That is as far as I got, because I got interested in other grip implements and comps, and stopped doing only grippers.  But I think I got pretty close to my physical limit on that, and for the year or so since then, I have maintained not too far below my best ever without focusing too much on just grippers.  There are people who progress faster than that, too, and who get past the 3.  And some who don't ever get the 3.  But from your starting point I would guess it is possible.

As for what to do, in the beginning, a lot of progress will be made in both strength and technique.  Watch some vids and ask Chez (who commented above and is the, THE gripper man).  May as well pick up good habits and learn to set well in the beginning, and save yourself from my fate (I hate setting them, and I suffer for it).  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Climber028 said:

You can increase flexibility by stretching. Which is practically like making your hands bigger when gripping objects.

21 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Definitely possible!  My hands are 7.5 inches, and I started from closing a 1.5 for a few reps and almost a 2.  It took about a week to get the 2, another six months to get the 2.5, and another year to get the 3.  That is as far as I got, because I got interested in other grip implements and comps, and stopped doing only grippers.  But I think I got pretty close to my physical limit on that, and for the year or so since then, I have maintained not too far below my best ever without focusing too much on just grippers.  There are people who progress faster than that, too, and who get past the 3.  And some who don't ever get the 3.  But from your starting point I would guess it is possible.

As for what to do, in the beginning, a lot of progress will be made in both strength and technique.  Watch some vids and ask Chez (who commented above and is the, THE gripper man).  May as well pick up good habits and learn to set well in the beginning, and save yourself from my fate (I hate setting them, and I suffer for it).  

I have been known to give people gripper advice. Anyone who wants me help is always welcomed to message me. I enjoy helping people achieve their goals 

• Like 4

If you're getting that close with your #2 you could try wrapping your off hand around your wrist as it stabilizes your gripping hand and gives you a bit more. And also you can do some cheat closes by getting as far as you can then use the off hand to get it the rest of the way closed and hold it for time.

Lastly you can put a hoseclamp on it to train just the crush portion. 

Those things should get you there. 

My hands never got thicker but I dont go crazy with grip though either. But in all these years of strength sports etc my hands never got thicker. 

On 7/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, DigitallyEndowed said:

To answer your question, it is better than decent, it is excellent. You will enjoy yourself with improvements to boot.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

I have been known to give people gripper advice. Anyone who wants me help is always welcomed to message me. I enjoy helping people achieve their goals 

Chez was there coaching me when I hit my PR on a gripper.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 5:19 PM, DigitallyEndowed said:

Cheers!

My hands measure 7.5” as well.  This past Monday I did 3 sets of 20 MMS reps with my IM #3, and yesterday 15 singles, block width set, with my BB Elite over about a 30 - 40 minute time frame.  I am also working with my GHP 8 in a choker set as wide as 1 3/8”.  

So yes, you have a ton of potential with your size hands.  As far as your hands getting bigger... over the years I really haven’t noticed my hands getting any thicker.  And getting longer is not going to happen unless you are young enough to have another growth spurt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDarty6173 said:

My hands measure 7.5” as well.  This past Monday I did 3 sets of 20 MMS reps with my IM #3, and yesterday 15 singles, block width set, with my BB Elite over about a 30 - 40 minute time frame.  I am also working with my GHP 8 in a choker set as wide as 1 3/8”.  

So yes, you have a ton of potential with your size hands.  As far as your hands getting bigger... over the years I really haven’t noticed my hands getting any thicker.  And getting longer is not going to happen unless you are young enough to have another growth spurt. 

That's all well and good, but what about CCS, do you find that limiting with hands your size?

10 hours ago, db2000 said:

That's all well and good, but what about CCS, do you find that limiting with hands your size?

My thought after "wow" (because same size hands as me, 7.5):  why is JDarty not MM2 and COC 3 certified?  Or maybe he is, but just hasn't put it on his gripboard profile yet.  20 MMS reps on even a light 3 would suggest that he could probably CCS any three if he only has to do it once.  At least for me, anything that I can close 20 times I can EASILY TNS once, let alone CCS.  But it ain't a 3!  lol.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:02 PM, Chez said:

I want to climb Everest carrying an Inch dumbbell in one hand.  PM Sent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, Vinnie said:

My thought after "wow" (because same size hands as me, 7.5):  why is JDarty not MM2 and COC 3 certified?  Or maybe he is, but just hasn't put it on his gripboard profile yet.  20 MMS reps on even a light 3 would suggest that he could probably CCS any three if he only has to do it once.  At least for me, anything that I can close 20 times I can EASILY TNS once, let alone CCS.  But it ain't a 3!  lol.  

I never really gave a lot of thought to doing a gripper certification.  I have done a few with bending a few years ago. The videos are probably still on here somewhere.  My best cert bend was a grand shiny bastard.    My IM #3 rated at about 148.5 back in 2015 I think. It’s a double stamp I bought in probably 1999 or 2000 or so. But yes I can CCS my #3. Mine is actually the only #3 I’ve ever held so I can’t really compare it to others.  I’ll try to grab a video next week doing a CCS with it. But in general I feel my hand size really only hinders me on TNS reps.  My finger tips just don’t wrap around the grippers very well without at least some set, so I just end up in a really bad position to finish the close.  I haven’t really tried a max TNS. I just use my IM #2.5 for TNS or my filed IM #2.  But you just have to do the best you can with what you have. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 11:40 PM, db2000 said:

Well I do have trouble with TNS reps for sure. My finger tips just don’t wrap around the gripper without some set. So I don’t end up in a very good position to finish the close.  As far as CCS, I would say no. But I will admit that it would be easier if my hands were 8” or more, or even just 1/4” longer.  

• Like 1

Add in some strap holds and you'll get that #2 if you are new to grippers. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

I want to climb Everest carrying an Inch dumbbell in one hand.  PM Sent!

Don't you mean EACH hand?  

21 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Don't you mean EACH hand?  

Naw, I want a feat I can do in a couple hours.  I don't have all day for that stuff.  I have to swim the Atlantic with a piano on my back that afternoon. 

• Like 1