Injury and starting again.

Jones1874

Hope your all good and your training is going well! :)

Ive been away from the board for awhile due to on personal problems. although their still on going i have a bit more time to get back into grip training. Apologies in advance if this turns out to be a lengthy post but i want to try and cover everything to save everyones time. All of my training came to a stop when these issues occurred, and around the same time i injured my wrists doing plate curls, there was too much going on so i decided to stop training altogether.

its been a 2 or 3 years since ive stopped training. ive also moved house and the only equipment i have available to me is a bar, 60kg of plates, grip tools and resistance bands. ive been training for the last two weeks and noticed my inner elbow (golfers elbow) has started to ache a little bit, probably due to the time off, and my wrists as well. The last 2 weeks ive been training in a day on-day off manner. I done the following just to get some blood in the area. all high reps.
x3 sets of uneven DB rotations
x3 sets of reverse curls
x3 sets of high reps (20 - 30) on a plate loaded gripper.
i didnt think that was too much too soon but it clearly is.

Ive done a lot of self myofascial release work on my neck, chest, back shoulders, upper arms, and the whole of my forearms and also my hands. although i noticed that SMR for the bicep really helped, when i done the same for my triceps my elbow felt worst.
Exercises that bother my wrist are: plate curls, plate wrist curls and pinch. I havent tested the water with regular wrist curls. Grippers and thick bar work (farmers or static holds) as well. Exercises i think that bother my elbow may be the plate loaded gripper, and doing pronation work.

After reading all that back to myself im wondering if theres anything i can do! if anyone recommends a 'doctor' then what type of doctor? physio.. etc? what options do i have to fix the injuries i have? especially the wrist. i feel i can work around the elbow pain if i back off a little.

Im greatful for any suggestions because im pulling my hair out at the minute
Thanks in advance.

Look up ”Athlean X elbow pain” on YouTube. It’s probably from imbalances in your forearms, but he shows ways to get rid of a variety of causes and has more than one video on the subject. Wrist pain too. He’s a physical therapist 

Edited by Shal9097
  • Like 1

One thing I've done for golfers is to try to grip everything in my hand and not on my fingers (as much as possible).

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 4:07 AM, Shal9097 said:

Look up ”Athlean X elbow pain” on YouTube. It’s probably from imbalances in your forearms, but he shows ways to get rid of a variety of causes and has more than one video on the subject. Wrist pain too. He’s a physical therapist 

Thank you for the suggestion. I seen one of his videos before making this post but ill be sure to check them out. I also seen a video by 'Bob & Brad' on YouTube (also physiotherapists), and they said that pronation exercises can make golfers elbow worst. im wondering if doing high rep supination work will help, or cause another imbalance in itself?

On 7/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, Fist of Fury said:

One thing I've done for golfers is to try to grip everything in my hand and not on my fingers (as much as possible).

Thank you for the reply. 
How does your routine look? what grip exercises do you perform and can get away with? are there certain exercises that you avoid altogether because of golfers elbow?

On 7/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, Hopefully said:

Triceps tendonitis/tight muscle/trigger points can lead to golfers elbow and also irritates it. 

Also bicep/tricep imbalance. 

That your elbow felt worse is a good clue. I would work on my triceps in all possible ways and se what happens. Massage through the pain. 

I've done SMR for the biceps/Triceps and Forearms, so im just going have to let it settle for a few days and see how it goes. What you said about the bicep/tricep imbalance may be an issue. when i use to bodybuild around 10 years ago, my back and biceps were always ahead of my chest and triceps. even though I've atrophied i think its still a problem. I just wish i knew about imbalances and SMR back then..
Im going to to start doing direct work for the triceps and see if it balances things out. Would you recommend specific tricep exercises or just strengthening them in general? 

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, Jones1874 said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I seen one of his videos before making this post but ill be sure to check them out. I also seen a video by 'Bob & Brad' on YouTube (also physiotherapists), and they said that pronation exercises can make golfers elbow worst. im wondering if doing high rep supination work will help, or cause another imbalance in itself?

Thank you for the reply. 
How does your routine look? what grip exercises do you perform and can get away with? are there certain exercises that you avoid altogether because of golfers elbow?

I've done SMR for the biceps/Triceps and Forearms, so im just going have to let it settle for a few days and see how it goes. What you said about the bicep/tricep imbalance may be an issue. when i use to bodybuild around 10 years ago, my back and biceps were always ahead of my chest and triceps. even though I've atrophied i think its still a problem. I just wish i knew about imbalances and SMR back then..
Im going to to start doing direct work for the triceps and see if it balances things out. Would you recommend specific tricep exercises or just strengthening them in general? 

Thanks again.

I don't avoid any exercises but I don't have a severe problem. It's just a little bit annoying but nothing that stops me completely. If I had bigger problems I would stay away from thick bar and train pinch instead.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't avoid any exercises but I don't have a severe problem. It's just a little bit annoying but nothing that stops me completely. If I had bigger problems I would stay away from thick bar and train pinch instead.

My problem isn't serious right now, but I am trying to keep it at bay or even get rid of any aches before it does become an issue.

What's the worst that can happen if you train through golfers elbow?

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

You can never train again, perhaps with surgery. 

Regarding the strengthening, I do not know. But at least working through the muscles whole range of motion seems logical. 

Injuries are a nightmare.. I think I'll have to take it easy, ice it, and concentrate on rehabbing my wrists while my elbow settles.

A change of exercises is probably needed as well. Maybe doing some wrist curls and reverse wrist curls will have to do for now..

Thanks for the replies. I really do appreciate it. I just found a good video by Athlean-X (Thanks to Shal9097 for recommending the channel). It's called 'the PERFECT forearm workout'. I recommend you and anyone else watch it. It's really informative and covers things I would have overlooked. It's geared towards optimal results, but mainly being able to train your forearms often without the stress on the elbows.

Hope this Helps anyone with the same problem