Don Larkin Memorial Strongest Hands Contest

dthor

Saturday, November 16th, 2019

Larkin's Gym

Three Rivers, Michigan

Start Time: 11AM, rules at 10:30AM.

Entry Fee: Jerri has the T-shirts designed. Please let Jerri know your size or I can relay.  $25 donation to help cover T-shirts, food, bending gear.  byob

Food, get-together, after contest lifts, visit after.

Events:

SB Gripper Hold. (3 levels: #2, #3, old Tetting GE/T9.  Don's challenge gripper was an old heavy gripper, made by Warren Tetting bought from Peary Rader/Ironman Magazine. 

1/2 of old 100 lb. square DB hold. (3 levels: base, +25 lb. york, +50 lb. york)  This is an old Don Larkin lift from 1970-1975. Don cut the DB in half and pinch lifted one in each hand with weight added. (3 5/8"wide)

DO Bending:  Don's bending was at another level.  Don Cummings is running the bending.  Ironmind pads. 3 min. per attempt. All bars 6" or 7". If there is a tie, fastest time wins. There may be more after Contest.

Euro Thin 1HP, last man standing, using just the outside Euro plates from Don's friend David Horne.  Similar to Don's thin disk challenge lift, except a bit under 1/2" and base weight will be under 40 lbs. not 52 1/2 lbs.

Reverse Strongman Scoring

following the grip portion:

Don Larkin Memorial Deadlift Contest.  Don's deadlifts were also at another level. 

powerlifting rules

Open to all / Loved ones and friends of Don and Jerri please stop by.  There will be food etc. after.

Edited by dthor
add bending info
  • Like 5

I'll be there. 

• Like 1

I'll be there.  This is going to be fun. 

• Like 1

It is great you are putting this on. Will be tons of fun!

• Like 1

What a great idea!

Such a good vibe up there in Michigan. 

• Like 4

Man, wish I knew about grip when I lived in Michigan from 1990 to 2008.  😰 

Sounds like an awesome time guys!

• Like 4

Dave,

If you'd like to get this contest sanctioned for placings for the North American Championship with Grip Sport International (formerly NAGS) please email me: jedd.diesel@gmail.com

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A huge thank you to Dave T. for putting Donz meet together!!  

You can bring food, but as usual I will have a meal after the meet!!  

Let me know your shirt size here or let Dave know. You won't regret - the shirts are awesome.

This meet means a lot to me so I hope we can get a great turn out.  Please join us whether you are competing or not and pass the word around!! 

Looking forward to see all of you

• Like 2

Don Larkin early 1970's: 1/2 100 lb. square DB 3 5/8" wide +30 lb. image.thumb.png.071e1469a9cfabce8a1166a7e1e8aef7.pngimage.thumb.png.8a0c1930f59c09e92f7bd0bc4a77384d.png

Edited by dthor
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More info on the DO bending per Don Cummings:  IronMind pads. 3 minute time limit per attempt. 2 attempts. Bars: 1/4 round x 7”, ¼ round x 6”, ¼ square x 7”, ¼ square x 6”, 5/16 round x 7”, 5/16 round x 6”, 11/32 round x 7”. If 2 people do the same bar, the fastest time wins. (Andrew Pantke FBBC is donating the bending steel)

• Like 2

This is going to be a great and fun day.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Jerri Larkin and all who helped with the Memorial Contest for Don.

Don touched all of our lives in a positive way, and it was great getting together with friends and family to honor him.

Don's grandson Ryan Mercie competed in the Contest and will become an excellent bender too.

Don Cummings and Darrin Shallman performed very impressive after Contest Events, bending and one finger lifts.

Taylor Wilson still recovering from surgery, had great looking pulls on the deadlift,

Andy Pantke bent a bastard bar in ironmind pads in only 15"

Edited by dthor
  • Like 3

A very fun day! I was the first to arrive and had a great time just talking with Jerri about Don and their life. She showed me around the gym and told me stories about all of the trophies, photos, equipment, etc.  Don lived an impressive life and made a big impact on lots of people. 

In the comp, Dave was a machine, as always, winning every grip event. He is so strong. Maybe my favorite part of the comp was Andrew P. smashing a Bastard DO fast.  He went into overdrive to get it and was seeing stars afterwards. He had to sit down and regather himself. Very impressive effort. Darrin did crazy middle finger feats, including doing a 315 lb middle finger dead lift. It was fun to coach the beginners through the bending event. Also, fun to meet Bob Lipinski, who has done a lot for MI grip. 

I was happy with my performance. I won the bending event by bending a Duke of all Bastards (11/32 x 7”) in IMP in about 30 seconds.  3rd overall in the grip comp. After the contest, I set a DHWOG record for doing a yard of grade 5 bolts double underhand. You bend 6 x 6” grade 5 bolts back to back. These are tough bends because you use DHWOG pads with the pads touching in the middle. Very happy with this. I also set a spike braced bend PR by bending a  "TALL CTHULHU THE FATHER OF OF ALL BASTARDS" (27/64" X 8") for a cert. I bent this with leg crush the whole way.

A nice spread of food too: pulled pork, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, baked beans and chocolate cake.

Here is the yard of grade 5 bolts video:

Here is the Duke video:

Pic of the Duke bend:

image.png.f245824709f30ff654bb919f07de4852.png

Here is a pic of the braced bend:

image.png.ce41f4788432943363992df708185b91.png

Jerri and me:

image.png.829b37e4babbe2ff6b02ccb9c60a7ed1.png

Here is a yard of bolts DU photo:

image.png.5f1a3b8b35faf377057dfdd610d049d3.png

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! Would anyone happen to know where I can get a t shirt or some type of memorabilia from Larkins gym? I live in CA and a friend of mine was trained under Don and speaks so highly of him. I would love to get him something that would be a great reminder of Don and his legacy.