Help. Long bar braced bending

Perryfamily208

I cant find a long bar progression list anywhere. I found horseshoes and nails but nothing else other than David Hornes contest page.

What are the standards?

On 6/26/2019 at 11:01 PM, Perryfamily208 said:

I cant find a long bar progression list anywhere. I found horseshoes and nails but nothing else other than David Hornes contest page.

What are the standards?

Do you have any experience with longbar?  Regardless, novices should start with 1/2" HRS.  This is a pretty easy diameter to bend.  1/2 x 36" would be ideal.  With something this easy, you could experiment with technique.  (I'd advise watching some videos prior to this session to have some ideas of positioning to take.)  Next, would be to cut-down the 1/2" bar until you get in the mid-20's.  I've never bent 1/2" in this range, but I would assume it wouldn't be that hard.  Still a challenge, but even if you were unable to finish, you'd get work with different lengths and realize what worked for you and what didn't.

Next would be 5/8" stock.  5/8 can be a pretty big step up from 1/2" diameter, but is still fairly easy at longer lengths.  Depending on your arm length, I would transition to the 36-40" range.  And work you way down slowly, inch-by-inch.  When you get in the the 5/8 x sub-30" range, things become very challenging, and your technique must be dialed in, as well as body parts conditioned to the steel/stress.

3/4" steel is very difficult at any length and presents a different kind of challenge.  Most people who are at this level will be bending in the 36-44" range.  

Once you are in the 5/8 x 20" range, you are doing very, very good and not many people will ever get there.  And with 3/4" stock, anything under 36" is excellent.

One thing to remember is that hot-rolled steel varies wildly, even from the same supplier.  Once-in-a-while, you will find some mutant stock.  Don't sweat it and keep plugging away.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buccos1 said:

Do you have any experience with longbar?  Regardless, novices should start with 1/2" HRS.  This is a pretty easy diameter to bend.  1/2 x 36" would be ideal.  With something this easy, you could experiment with technique.  (I'd advise watching some videos prior to this session to have some ideas of positioning to take.)  Next, would be to cut-down the 1/2" bar until you get in the mid-20's.  I've never bent 1/2" in this range, but I would assume it wouldn't be that hard.  Still a challenge, but even if you were unable to finish, you'd get work with different lengths and realize what worked for you and what didn't.

Next would be 5/8" stock.  5/8 can be a pretty big step up from 1/2" diameter, but is still fairly easy at longer lengths.  Depending on your arm length, I would transition to the 36-40" range.  And work you way down slowly, inch-by-inch.  When you get in the the 5/8 x sub-30" range, things become very challenging, and your technique must be dialed in, as well as body parts conditioned to the steel/stress.

3/4" steel is very difficult at any length and presents a different kind of challenge.  Most people who are at this level will be bending in the 36-44" range.  

Once you are in the 5/8 x 20" range, you are doing very, very good and not many people will ever get there.  And with 3/4" stock, anything under 36" is excellent.

One thing to remember is that hot-rolled steel varies wildly, even from the same supplier.  Once-in-a-while, you will find some mutant stock.  Don't sweat it and keep plugging away.  

Good info Carl!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

2 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Good info Carl!

I choose to stand on the shoulders of giants.

I’d also like to add that 1/2x16-18” bars can be a serious challenge and a lot of fun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:18 PM, Buccos1 said:

I'd advise watching some videos prior to this session to have some ideas of positioning to take.

Great post from Carl, as always! With this one of the most important hints!

What diameter bars do you guys in the US or elsewhere have access to?

In Germany/Europe these are common and easy to get:

10mm / 3/8" ...can get pretty serious, if short enough!

12mm / 1/2"

14mm / 9/16"

15mm / 0.59"

16mm / 5/8"

18mm / 0.71"

20mm / 13/16"

22mm / 7/8" - Elite-Level at any length

24mm 24/25" ...has not been bent yet...

25mm / 1"

So I recommend to go either short or long at the beginning. For the short bars you only have 2 basic techniques: the kink (knee/shin-pull or push in your thigh) and the legcrush, for long bars (>35" or so) you can go with one more technique (pull one leg (of the bar!) against your chest or against you hip/thigh). Hard bars inbetween require some more complicated techniques for the sweep.

On super short bars (3/8" x 7" or even shorter), only the legcrush is left. This is pretty painful at some point and I would not recommend to start with this (unless you are from Russia or already insane 😄 ...). 

So, as Carl said, buy some steel, if you can bend it easily, cut 2" off, it it was hard, cut 0.5" off

Have fun and good luck with your training!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Buccos1 said:

Thank you so much for the info. This will give me a basic start. 

I have been bending horseshoes, nails, bolts, and regular short stock. But not long bars. 

My friend works with kids at risk at his church. And I talked to him about doing some strongman stuff, I think the longbar would look pretty cool. 

On 7/4/2019 at 4:10 AM, camz said:

Great post from Carl, as always! With this one of the most important hints!

What diameter bars do you guys in the US or elsewhere have access to?

In Germany/Europe these are common and easy to get:

10mm / 3/8" ...can get pretty serious, if short enough!

12mm / 1/2"

14mm / 9/16"

15mm / 0.59"

16mm / 5/8"

18mm / 0.71"

20mm / 13/16"

22mm / 7/8" - Elite-Level at any length

24mm 24/25" ...has not been bent yet...

25mm / 1"

So I recommend to go either short or long at the beginning. For the short bars you only have 2 basic techniques: the kink (knee/shin-pull or push in your thigh) and the legcrush, for long bars (>35" or so) you can go with one more technique (pull one leg (of the bar!) against your chest or against you hip/thigh). Hard bars inbetween require some more complicated techniques for the sweep.

On super short bars (3/8" x 7" or even shorter), only the legcrush is left. This is pretty painful at some point and I would not recommend to start with this (unless you are from Russia or already insane 😄 ...). 

So, as Carl said, buy some steel, if you can bend it easily, cut 2" off, it it was hard, cut 0.5" off

Have fun and good luck with your training!

Thank you for the info and reply. Im definitely going to try and good a all the technics. But I've seen people brace on the inside thigh and tricep then pull over the bicep. Or even head, neck, or nose should be fun too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...