WAL 504

ChimpGrip

On 7/22/2019 at 10:07 AM, Climber028 said:

Totally agreed, tho the exact pad movements are up for debate they should definitely be changed in some way.

As far as I know, WAL is the first federation to have the elbow pads go all the way to the edges of the table.  Specifications for a WAF style table call for a 7" X 7" pad that is 2" in from the edge of the table.  The kings move sort of exploits the WAL pads, and it is quite a bit more difficult to execute the kings move (without an elbow foul) on the WAF tables.  Not that I know this from experience, I would never use the kings move, I ain't no cheater :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

As far as I know, WAL is the first federation to have the elbow pads go all the way to the edges of the table.  Specifications for a WAF style table call for a 7" X 7" pad that is 2" in from the edge of the table.  The kings move sort of exploits the WAL pads, and it is quite a bit more difficult to execute the kings move (without an elbow foul) on the WAF tables.  Not that I know this from experience, I would never use the kings move, I ain't no cheater :) 

I actually played with it for the first time this week during practice and it just feels impossible, like I can apply barely any force then my arm would break

2 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I actually played with it for the first time this week during practice and it just feels impossible, like I can apply barely any force then my arm would break

The kings move, IMO, relies really heavily on pronation (among other things) to maintain control.  I never recommend getting the hand outside of the perimeter of the shoulders as this can get a person in the "arm break position."  Michael Todd's connective tissues and bones are probable conditioned to handle more rotational force on the humerus than the average person, albeit, he seems to always face his hand with his shoulders.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 4:51 AM, Adam Juncker said:

The kings move, IMO, relies really heavily on pronation (among other things) to maintain control.  I never recommend getting the hand outside of the perimeter of the shoulders as this can get a person in the "arm break position."  Michael Todd's connective tissues and bones are probable conditioned to handle more rotational force on the humerus than the average person, albeit, he seems to always face his hand with his shoulders.   

I wouldn’t think there’s that much rotational force put on the humerus during a king’s move? I would think that even though there is alot of pronation involved. With the arm being in an extended position the lever for transferring the twisting force on the humerus would be low. I’m more concerned that people will wither snap their biceps tendon or straight up shatter their elbow joint.

BTW the’s a guy in my weight class who’s pretty much gone all in on the King’s move. He slips every time and then commits fully to the King’s in the strap. He’s gone from getting obliterated by everyone to being able to put a stop on most guys. He still loses but now his opponents are often caught in 20-40 second matches, negatively effecting their chances for the rest of the tournament. I’ve added press work in my routines just to be able to deal with that guy without having to spend unnecessary energy if I ever need to face him in a tournament..

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

Would it be wise to defeat the kings move with a low grip and force a hook match? Kinda like what John did to Cleve Dean at the Yukon Jack years ago

4 hours ago, slazbob said:

Would it be wise to defeat the kings move with a low grip and force a hook match? Kinda like what John did to Cleve Dean at the Yukon Jack years ago

I don’t think so. When the King’s move is performed correct the position will allow for a super effective pronation movement by the King’s mover. Unless the strength difference is insane, your wrist will be bent back. I’ve been King’s moved by someone who I could hold and control effortlessly all day but when I go for the pin pad in a hook, my wrists gets bent back like nothing. It’s almost like there is something going on within the straps during this position. It pretty much felt like it was the straps that bent my wrist back. It’s weird.