150kg / 330lb DB - 1 or 2 inch handle?

The Guvnor

Hi Guys,

I've a 150kg DB here which has a 1 inch handle - now it was ordered with a 2 inch handle.

I now have the option of keeping the db as is or getting it redone with a 2inch handle.

What I'm now wondering is how would a grip master fair with 150kg and a 1 inch handle?

In a recent Brian Shaw video I think Eddie Hall said most he did single handed was 126kg on a 1 1/4 inch handle.

That said 150kg and 2 inches would have to be fairly uncommon?

Thanks for any insight!

Nobody, living or dead, could lift a 150kg bell with a 2" handle without straps. I almost said possible with hook grip or tilting, but I feel pretty confident saying that neither of those would be enough to do it.

• Like 4

1" = liftable for some I would guess.  You could hook it at least

2" = expensive paper weight

• Like 2

The heaviest I've seen was Kirill who lifted Hafthor's Cyr Db Replica, it has a 2" handle, weight is 128 kg I think. While he lifted it I would not have passed for a contest, if the rules were to lock-out but he could certainly have lifted it to a platform.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

In my head a 1 inch 150kg becomes more about the weight than the grip as in is it harder to lift this than an Inch DB?

The handle is very well knurled if that makes any difference.

What I'm trying to get is something that would be on par at least with a Millennium DB challenge wise. 

I'm also looking to get proper globe inch, millennium and cyr replica's but that's another challenge lol.

1.75,1.5inch handle and 150kg instead of the 2inch handle?

Just for the lol's at the very start there was talk of a 2in rolling handle as well... :D

I suppose there is no real chart or guesstimate that says:

2.5 at 78kg equates to 110kg at 2 all things being equal etc.

Edited by The Guvnor

1.6in handle on a 330 dumbbell to attempt to replicate the millennium. Very ball park estimate since this doesn't extrapolate well and that is a huge weight so don't take it too seriously. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

1.6in handle on a 330 dumbbell to attempt to replicate the millennium. Very ball park estimate since this doesn't extrapolate well and that is a huge weight so don't take it too seriously. 

Thanks for this. Knew it wasn't easy to extrapolate up or down here as each implement will have it's own quirks etc.

You think a 2 inch 330 is a bit too much? Maybe go 1.75 so possibly doable?

I don't think anyone can or ever will lift 330 on a 2 inch handle that is insane. 1.5 seems plausible today, 1.75 maybe in the future but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guvnor said:

Thanks Guys,

In my head a 1 inch 150kg becomes more about the weight than the grip as in is it harder to lift this than an Inch DB?

The handle is very well knurled if that makes any difference.

What I'm trying to get is something that would be on par at least with a Millennium DB challenge wise. 

I'm also looking to get proper globe inch, millennium and cyr replica's but that's another challenge lol.

1.75,1.5inch handle and 150kg instead of the 2inch handle?

Just for the lol's at the very start there was talk of a 2in rolling handle as well... :D

I suppose there is no real chart or guesstimate that says:

2.5 at 78kg equates to 110kg at 2 all things being equal etc.

I think there's a lot of people who could lift a standard DB with 150 kg added. It's good but not extraordinary in my opinion. I've seen a video of a guy lifting the watson 150 kg DB and he was not a grip guy (not as far as I know). I think it was made by Watson, or it was another company, I can't really remember right now.

You're right about that there's no chart for something like that. Some people can actually be much better, relatively speaking, with a larger diameter. So the difference will not be the same for everyone. The only thing you can do is to check results from competitions. And see how the difference is then try to make an estimate on the difference but it will only be a generalization, because as I said it's different for different people.

Go to FBBC's website and check for Crusher results and compare the names and numbers. It might give you an idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Guvnor said:

I would say (although I have not lifted the Inch yet) that it depends on how you lift it. With a lot of tilt I would say lifting a 150 kg DB is probably harder. Doing a strict lift with the Inch DB with cans on the globes is something else, that might be much harder than lifting a 150 kg DB.

If you can lift a 150 kg DB you definitely have the strength in your hands and arms to lift the Inch though, that I'm sure about. But you might have to practice it for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

It's a watson db I have here - not a kick in the pants so that it came with the wrong handle as now I can go back and ask for  a 1.5 or 1.625 inch not 2 inch handle.

I think overall 1.5 inch seems more realistic.

I'll get on the FBBC site. 

It's amazing the difference an inch or less can make! There's a joke in there somewhere :D

I saw that video (pasted below): 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Thanks Guys,

It's a watson db I have here - not a kick in the pants so that it came with the wrong handle as now I can go back and ask for  a 1.5 or 1.625 inch not 2 inch handle.

I think overall 1.5 inch seems more realistic.

I'll get on the FBBC site. 

It's amazing the difference an inch or less can make! There's a joke in there somewhere :D

I saw that video (pasted below): 

Yes it's truly amazing how small the margins are in grip sport. 

• Like 1

Just an update on this - I never measured the handle on the DB as 150kg is a tad above my pay grade.

Turns out with Watson 1inch or 2 inch is not quite correct rather it's 35mm or 50mm .

What do we think leave as is at 35mm  as 50mm is pretty much 2 inches.

150 kg on 50 mm as a Dumbbell is absolutely unliftable. For most men 150 kg on a 50 mm axle would be a fine mark of achievement. 

Where will this Dumbbell go when finished? A home gym? A commercial facility? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

It's currently outside in the gym - gym is not commercial. 

Also now looking to get some globe bells made to Inch and Millennium spec and maybe one more up from here.

When I saw Shaw do the Millennium it looked like he could do what maybe 10kg more? This has a 2.5inch handle?

In kg terms on 2.5in handles:

78 - 172lb

91.5 - 200lb

105 - 231lb

113.5 - 250lb

125 - 275lb (?)

I have the 150 - 330lb on a 35mm handle here already.

Just curious as to get items people have a chance of moving!

I'm in Ireland - east coast midway between Dublin and Belfast.