Gripping and hand health

Shal9097

6 hours ago, Leozinho said:

I hate to be the downer, but might we be seeing survivorship bias here?

I reckon if a man wrecked his hands training grip to the point he's debilitated and no longer training...well, he's probably not hanging around a grip forum. 

I used to be halfway serious about BJJ, and would have to take time off for injuries and then start back. Until one time when I never started back. But if you look on the mats and see a few old guys rolling and think "BJ J  must be good for the body." What you don't see is guys like me that quit because the doc said to get ready for a spinal fusion.  I don't hang around BJJ forums anymore either.

Having said that, I'm a grip novice but I believe in use it or lose it and motion is lotion. So I'm heartened to hear of so many older guys with healthy hands. 

I think it's very difficult to destroy your hands from grip training. It's of course possible but it's far from common. It's not like doing powerlifting or strongman or even playing tennis och soccer, I would say most other sports have much more injuries than grip sport has.

I really need to train very stupid or be very unlucky to destroy your hands so you can never train grip anymore.

Some lifts have more risk than others, most of us are aware of which lifts those are.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think it's very difficult to destroy your hands from grip training. It's of course possible but it's far from common. It's not like doing powerlifting or strongman or even playing tennis och soccer, I would say most other sports have much more injuries than grip sport has.

I really need to train very stupid or be very unlucky to destroy your hands so you can never train grip anymore.

Some lifts have more risk than others, most of us are aware of which lifts those are.

In my opinion, it’s definitely the most “tame” of the strength sports out there with very little risk if one uses their head.

9 hours ago, Leozinho said:

I used to be halfway serious about BJJ, and would have to take time off for injuries and then start back. Until one time when I never started back. But if you look on the mats and see a few old guys rolling and think "BJ J  must be good for the body." What you don't see is guys like me that quit because the doc said to get ready for a spinal fusion.  I don't hang around BJJ forums anymore either.

While it's hard to say any combat sport is "good for the body" I'd go ahead and say BJJ is the safest and softest martial art commonly practiced.

11 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

I'd go ahead and say BJJ is the safest and softest martial art commonly practiced.

Really? Safest and softest? That's not the impression my son gives me. I thought it was pretty brutal. I suspect he is the only guy on this forum who has rolled with Cain Velasquez, so his experience may be more painful than others...

On 11/6/2019 at 5:07 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Really? Safest and softest? That's not the impression my son gives me. I thought it was pretty brutal. I suspect he is the only guy on this forum who has rolled with Cain Velasquez, so his experience may be more painful than others...

We'd have to define combat arts, but I'd absolutely say BJJ is safer than boxing, muay thai, wrestling, judo.  But most folks end up with an injury eventually. That comes with the territory. No big deal.  But some end up with nagging injuries that don't go away. Or worse. Rickson is supposedly in bad shape now.  (He's a sample of one, and certainly didn't practice moderation.)

l predict the modern players using the inverted game are likely to have neck issues like I have.

Speaking of grip, some guys have to switch to no go after their fingers get jacked up from gripping the go so much.   hand-pain-bjj.jpg