Riddle me this Batman

Blackjaw

OK,

I am Left hand dominate and at this time the left is healthy but the right has a little bit of tendonitis and a sprained thumb.

So, it makes sense to me that I am better with grippers with my left (15-20%), better at Hub with my left (~10-15%), but why am I better at pinch block with my right (10-15%)?

I know some of you have studied grip extensively, so I was wondering what could be going on that makes this disparity in the pinch block make sense.

Thanks,

Rick

Nothing burger 🍔 10-15% is not a notable difference. When additional factors of speed, coordination, endurance are brought in we find there is always a one sidedness to a given tool. 

Adam,

Thanks for the response. This makes sense to me, just kind of had me scratching my head because my right has never been stronger than my left when doing traditional exercises. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blackjaw said:

Adam,

Thanks for the response. This makes sense to me, just kind of had me scratching my head because my right has never been stronger than my left when doing traditional exercises. 

Expand your lense beyond only gym or sport for a moment- you probably shave & brush teeth same hand almost always. Probably use same hands for fork/knife, open door same hand, pull garbage bags with same hand— when you examine your day to day simple activity you’ll quickly see motion patterns that would simply explain particular strengths. I carry trays and mix drinks left handed- all my close pinch grips are better left. Not from the gym imo but from daily life. Skill in motion appears to be more associated to frequency than intensity. 

• Like 2

Whatever activity you do with your strong side (use a screwdriver, open a beer, use a hack saw) you are probably holding onto it with the other hand at the same time. Could be that wrist is stronger.

I am totally buying in to what you guys are saying and have thought of 2 examples that apply to me and I am sure there are many more. These may seem stupid but it seems over time they may contribute to grip. 1. I go to the store a couple times a week and carry the basket in my right hand. Sometimes just a dozen eggs and some bread, sometimes 8 bottles of powerade, so it all adds up. 2. Scooping dog poop a couple times a week. Shovel in right hand, hoe in the left. Let me tell you, a heaping scoop shovel full of wet poop can get heavy 😀🐶

My right is way stronger than my left on grippers, but my left hand does better with block weights. I think the reason is that my left hand is a little bit bigger than my right. 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, yidmaster said:

My right is way stronger than my left on grippers, but my left hand does better with block weights. I think the reason is that my left hand is a little bit bigger than my right. 

Same with me.  I have always been better at wide pinch with my left hand.  It isn't as strong, but the spread from pinky to thumb is 3/4" longer on my left.  That makes a huge difference.  My right was always stronger on anything under 3" width, but over time my left caught up and I would say they are equal between 2 and 3 inches now.  Right is still way stronger below two.