Maybe all the Shaw grip threads should be about Licis

Mike Rinderle

Such a great event, would love to have this at grip comps. Obviously on a smaller scale. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

And Hafthor

Word.  Too bad he got hurt.  Killed him on loading medley.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Such a great event, would love to have this at grip comps. Obviously on a smaller scale. 

Would be fun but too many people would gripe about the amount of weight used.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Easy, we politely show them the exit. 

Yeah it's always assumed Brian will kill grip events but in terms of grip for strongman he's never been one of the best. Particularly thick handles suits him more because of his thumb strength but always been a good few better at farmers and frame, especially when the handles are thin because Brian has very strong forearms and amazing thumb strength, but his hand strength overall is actually down a bit from the top guys. He also made a big mistake here wearing the wrist wraps making it impossible to get good forearm flexion, which is not only 100% needed for a wide frame, but it puts the pressure exactly on where he is weaker. No idea why he wore them (look at the different angles between the two grips).

As for martins, his hand strength is extremely good, 300kg deadlift x 3 double overhand and 272.5kg x 6(?) in training and trains one arm hangs a lot. Only reason I'd say he didnt win is due to thor being more specific, actually training frame hold, and possibly due to training longer holds for lactic tolerance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

There is a comp in Sweden that run this event I think. The events are ussually more like strongman events, they also had reeves deadlift as one of the events :D 

25 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

There is a comp in Sweden that run this event I think. The events are ussually more like strongman events, they also had reeves deadlift as one of the events :D 

Which comp? Grepp-sm? 

Martins has probably entered 10 or more “Vise Grip Viking” contests over the years: Anaheim, LA, and San Jose: These later morphed into “Armlifting”.

He was always open to compete anywhere, I think it is so cool that we now have a World’s Strongest Man who is not shy about competing in Grip Contests.

Martins is a good guy, a regular fellow, and I am very happy for him.

Congratulations Marteeeeeens!!!!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Climber028 said:

You mean like with like RC cars? Hahaha

Well at least 5hp go karts ha

I am happy for Martins, out of the current crop of strongmen he seems the most relatable from a size perspective. Also with Odd being his coach I am pretty sure he gets a lot of grip related training. 

I'd like to see high pick farmers holds in a contest (or frame) at about 300 per hand.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Yeah it's always assumed Brian will kill grip events but in terms of grip for strongman he's never been one of the best. Particularly thick handles suits him more because of his thumb strength but always been a good few better at farmers and frame, especially when the handles are thin because Brian has very strong forearms and amazing thumb strength, but his hand strength overall is actually down a bit from the top guys. He also made a big mistake here wearing the wrist wraps making it impossible to get good forearm flexion, which is not only 100% needed for a wide frame, but it puts the pressure exactly on where he is weaker. No idea why he wore them (look at the different angles between the two grips).

As for martins, his hand strength is extremely good, 300kg deadlift x 3 double overhand and 272.5kg x 6(?) in training and trains one arm hangs a lot. Only reason I'd say he didnt win is due to thor being more specific, actually training frame hold, and possibly due to training longer holds for lactic tolerance.

Let's see what Brian would explain, I guess he lost his mental concentration and dropped that construction.

15 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'd love to see an event like this, thick handled or otherwise. It offers benefits to promoters too: no (or few) weight changes and no ties. Similar to silver bullet I think it's more exciting for spectators too. It's more fun to cheer someone to hold one more second than to lift something that just isn't moving. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Aaron @acorn made farmer's handles with the handle being a rolling handle. It would be perfect for scaling down for gripsport.

I need to make another pair of these for myself. Thx for the reminder. We ran them as a farmers walk in medleys a couple times years ago. This video is fairly ancient but representative of their awesomeness.

• Like 1