How many total can close the #3?

Shal9097

5 hours ago, KapMan said:

Joe sullivan does tns with a three regularly. Ive done it 1 time. You act it its an impossibility, stop thinking small. Its not impossible. Most dont give a shit about tns thats why you dont see it often. 

I have done TNS/NS with all 4 different #3s that I have ranging from  143, 146, 150 and 154. I have an unrated one as well which is the hardest one.

5 hours ago, KapMan said:

No one is trolling. You are acting like a #3 gripper requires peak physical and mental conditioning like some special forces operator. That out of millions of men 100 can close it. And 1 out of100 can tns. In a game of millions those are small numbers. But you do you bro. 

Everyday I hop on the internet and watch folk with little to no training in grip walk up and do shit that guys like jedd took years to master. I find it unlikely that grippers are any different.

What does DO deadlifting have to do with grippers? I lift well DOH too and fail to see how that movement translates to a better gripper crush. 

Double overhand deadlifting strength is a great indication of potential for closing grippers. It’s a great training exercise for it. If someone can DO deadlift 500 or above, that’s a great indicator they can at least smash a number 2 TNS in most cases.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Double overhand deadlifting strength is a great indication of potential for closing grippers. It’s a great training exercise for it. If someone can DO deadlift 500 or above, that’s a great indicator they can at least smash a number 2 TNS in most cases.

Goes against the “only thing grippers are good for is grippers” 

6 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Goes against the “only thing grippers are good for is grippers” 

I don’t know if the reverse is true. Like if one did grippers first before ever training DO deadlift. If they lacked the body power, it wouldn’t matter how strong the grip was from grippers. But the strength from DO deadlifts would definitely translate to gripper strength. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t know if the reverse is true. Like if one did grippers first before ever training DO deadlift. If they lacked the body power, it wouldn’t matter how strong the grip was from grippers. But the strength from DO deadlifts would definitely translate to gripper strength. 

Right.  Like me.  I did grippers first and never worked out deadlifts.  So I can TNS a 2.5, and MMS a 3 -- but my max DOH deadlift (and axle) is 303.  Bc it is the body power stopping me.  It doesn't matter if I keep working grippers, that won't get 325 off the ground if my legs won't.  I can hold onto way more than that with my hands, most likely because of the grip work I have done, but that won't levitate the barbell unless I also work deadlifts.

23 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Doesn't surprise me. I think you need to have a very good DL with DO in order to have the strength to close even a #2 with no training. I saw a video with Cailer Woolam just recently where he pulled some heavy weights DO and he could not close the #3. I don't know if he tried directly after he did the DO lifting or not but still, I think it says a lot of how difficult grippers are.

But he could easily pinch two 35's and lift the 45 york blob with two fingers. Oh yeah lift the 150 pounds inch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

But he could easily pinch two 35's and lift the 45 york blob with two fingers. Oh yeah lift the 150 pounds inch.

I guess he's okay then. grippers doesn't matter anyways :D

23 hours ago, KapMan said:

Ill take your bait.

Numbers mean nothing? This whole post is a hypothetical question looking for numbers. Maybe you need to reread the OP. Because what I read was how many in the world can close the #3. Not china, not Russia, not India. THE WORLD. There is roughly over 3.5 billion MALES on the planet. There we can probably break that down further into separate age brackets but that could take all day.  You assume that millions of people are weak as shit with their hands or just in general, also illogical.

Theres enough anecdotal evidence as well as video proof that more and more people that didnt even know gripsport was a thing roll up and hit a elite feat. Guys who simply work, not exercise. Lifting inches, blobs, and crushing grippers. Thats not taking into account the millions of men and women possibly moving huge weights unseen. But think small. Because out of 7 billion people, only a few hundred can possibly do something worth a damn.

I can’t for the life of me comprehend how out of MILLIONS of people you believe only a few hundred can crush a 3. Thats like saying out of a million military aged males only a few hundred can do a few pullups. Grippers are one the most accessible grip implements and most likely the first thing people touch. Theres a huge chance that out of those Millions a good portion of those are already familiar with the grippers, used them or plan on using them. 

Let's agree to disagree. I disagree with everything you wrote. I don't feel like debating this because it's only hypothetical anyways. It can never be proven scientifically (or it will never be at least).

By the way I don't claim that my estimates are accurate. However I feel very confident that they are way more accurate than the hundred of thousands to millions estimate.

I haven’t closed my #3 yet, but I’m close. But everyone I’ve handed that thing to has treated it like they were squeezing a brick. 

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Let's agree to disagree. I disagree with everything you wrote. I don't feel like debating this because it's only hypothetical anyways. It can never be proven scientifically (or it will never be at least).

By the way I don't claim that my estimates are accurate. However I feel very confident that they are way more accurate than the hundred of thousands to millions estimate.

Cool story. Nice contradiction too. You dont claim that your estimates are accurate then in the same breath say you are confident they are accurate. You should of quit about 6 posts ago. 

I take the spring and summer off from any specific grip training to focus on golf and have never been all that good at grippers, but parallel set and closed a low end #3 with ease at the end of a recent workout (video below).  While it may seam hard to some, the #3 COC gripper is something that with a little technique work and practice is within reach for most.  Everyone starts at a different place and because of that there are differing opinions on how hard it is to close.  John

Edited by lder
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, lder said:

I take the spring and summer off from any specific grip training to focus on golf and have never been all that good at grippers, but parallel set and closed a low end #3 with ease at the end of a recent workout (video below).  While it may seam hard to some, the #3 COC gripper is something that with a little technique work and practice is within reach for most.  Everyone starts at a different place and because of that there are differing opinions on how hard it is to close.  John

IMG_0534.MOV 69.57 MB · 2 downloads

Takes me 6 months of hard dedicated training just to close a low end #3. Its definitely not something that comes with a little bit of practice 

• Like 1

There is no doubt, many strong guys out there with the potential to close big grippers. Similiarly, if that pretty bright kid puts his mind to it and studies, they will graduate highschool and even college with a pretty good gpa. Does that mean it always happen? Or will happen? No, of course. To close 3's and above is a good benchmark of crushing strength. A challenge for 99+ percent of men. Some will close it faster and some never. Just like a 325 paused bench, without practice, you arent going to find anyone coming off the street never practicing that movement that is going to pop that. Of course with some practice and time some will do it faster than others and some will do it never, but there is no doubt in my mind you have to have an above average knack for strength to accomplish those feats and some may not even realize their own strength if they do it. Mms a 3 is a great feat probobly attainable by 25+ percent of guys who are strong and have the hand for it. Ccs or tns is at a bit of a different level. How many guys can hit these feats right now, not in a week a month or in a 2 minute lesson thins the field exponentially and the feat is reserved for those who have practiced it before hand plus maybe a thousand or so annomalies. Wsm martins licis would smash a 3.5 ccs with a couple months training, however right now he might be hard pressed to close a 3 with an open set because of lack of practice. There is some cool vids out there recently in a collab demonstrating this. Anyway a cool classic thread to stir the gripboard pot. All in fun

Edited by Viceversus
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah, it's easy to say for those that have a talent for it. Hard to relate to those that don't. 

Agreed. Just like if you took off  five years lifting and your hanging out on the bench in your cousins basement, he loads 235 on the bar an hits a set of 5 which is pretty strong, then you proceed to pop it for 8 and you get up say "yeah, havent touched a weight in years, but keep with it"... The truth is you have years practiced under your belt and your good at bench.  If you didnt know what you had u might tell the kid he stinks at bench, because you hit almost double the reps without even benching in the last decade.

Edited by Viceversus

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Yeah, it's easy to say for those that have a talent for it. Hard to relate to those that don't. 

Even people with extreme talent will most likely not be able to TNS close a #3 the first time they touch grippers. Maybe a light one but not the hard ones.

A lot of it is neurological. Some might have the muscle power but it's still hard to do on the first try.

7 hours ago, KapMan said:

Cool story. Nice contradiction too. You dont claim that your estimates are accurate then in the same breath say you are confident they are accurate. You should of quit about 6 posts ago. 

Yeah and you should stop trolling.

I said more accurate than others. Not accurate. Maybe you should read more carefully.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lder said:

Nice close, your technique is not good tho. You use very bad leverage, you could place the gripper higher up in the hand, it would make it easier for you.

47 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yeah and you should stop trolling.

I said more accurate than others. Not accurate. Maybe you should read more carefully.

Take it off the forum if you want to argue and bicker.  Thanks.

13 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yep in his case. And yeah the 150 Inch was FBBC which has 2.5" handles (bigger than 2.375"). I don't maybe maybe it's anatomical. But hey he has a super grip. I prefer to be him not someone who can only close a #3.

• Like 1

I have no idea how large the average male is but at 6'2" and 200# I seem to be considered "large" outside of the strength sports community.  I seem to be considered relatively strong in the overall sport of Grip.  But I had to train my butt off to close the #3 - even after being shown how to set.  I can no longer even come close to the #3 right now but an do well on many other "feats of Grip strength"  Grippers are a specific kind of grip strength.  Fat Bar - block weights etc not so much.  Those that have that don't seem to be able to understand that everyone does not - even some very very strong humans in other respects. 

What is considered "normal" is dependent on the crowd you hang out with.  If all the guys in your gym bench 300# -  or close a #3 then you come to think that's a normal kind of thing when it may not be normal at all in the grand scheme of things in the general population.  Take a #3 to a gym (even one full of strong guys) - just hand them the gripper and I think you'll be surprised how few can close it if they have never played with them or have not been worked with on setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I have no idea how large the average male is but at 6'2" and 200# I seem to be considered "large" outside of the strength sports community.  I seem to be considered relatively strong in the overall sport of Grip.  But I had to train my butt off to close the #3 - even after being shown how to set.  I can no longer even come close to the #3 right now but an do well on many other "feats of Grip strength"  Grippers are a specific kind of grip strength.  Fat Bar - block weights etc not so much.  Those that have that don't seem to be able to understand that everyone does not - even some very very strong humans in other respects. 

What is considered "normal" is dependent on the crowd you hang out with.  If all the guys in your gym bench 300# -  or close a #3 then you come to think that's a normal kind of thing when it may not be normal at all in the grand scheme of things in the general population.  Take a #3 to a gym (even one full of strong guys) - just hand them the gripper and I think you'll be surprised how few can close it if they have never played with them or have not been worked with on setting.

Average male is 5’9  and 190pounds or so.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, db2000 said:

Takes me 6 months of hard dedicated training just to close a low end #3. Its definitely not something that comes with a little bit of practice 

Just to ballpark typical training volume and frequency - 6 months of training at two gripper sessions a week without having an off week only puts you at 52 gripper training sessions.  Realistically because of injury, recovery, work, life... you might only be getting in three sessions every two weeks for a total of 39 gripper specific training sessions. That is a tremendous amount of improvement in a very short amount of time!  Grip strength along with any other significant strength/fitness improvement comes when you have a well rounded, personalized training program and patience.   

Edited by lder

I can.  That's the only one I'm worried about, whether the number is 300 or 3,000,000

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Average male is 5’9  and 190pounds or so.

And gelatinous.

I do think that the #3 is given a little more glory than it should be.  Same with the red nail.  Most males with above average hand strength (not elite, just top 50%), could eventually close an average #3 with an MM set with a year or less of dedicated training and technique work.  Setting a gripper is probably the most technical aspect of our sport and the ability to properly do so makes a huge difference, so handing someone a gripper who has never trained on one isn't really a very good gauge of who could close a number 3.  Honestly, I think a lot of gripper guys hand grippers to strong newbs just to feel superior. lol   Those guys have no chance unless they are mutants.  Now take a hard #3 choked to parallel and start handing that out for people to try.  Show them where to place it in their hand, give them some chalk, and you might be shocked. 

When I got my first #3 (turned out to be a very easy one at 142 lbs), I had no idea how to close grippers.  I did them with basically no set and held onto the spring so they wouldn't spin in my hand.  I'd pinch em down a smidge just to get my fingers over the handles, but definitely wider than a CCS.  I had a set of HGs for a few months that I used to do for reps like that.  I ordered the 2.5 and closed it right out of the package using the spring steadying method.  I then ordered the #3 and closed that with the same technique within a a cople days.  I have genetically stronger hands than most I would guess, but I'm no mutant.  Once I was told you can't hold the spring to steady it like that, it took about a month for me to figure out how to set it correctly to close.  I had the hand strength, just not the technical ability.

Same holds true for the Red Nail.  If you spend a year training your technique and specific strength, most guys in the 50th percentile would be able to bend one. 

The issue with the above is that most people don't think this stuff is worth dedicating themselves for a year to do it.  I also think the vast majority of the population would think the fact that we are arguing about something like this is pretty silly and entertaining.

Again though, whether it is 10 or a trillion, feel good about you doing it and who cares about the rest. Because at the end of the day, you dedicaed yourself to a hard goal and reached it.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 4