How many total can close the #3?

Shal9097

26 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I do think that the #3 is given a little more glory than it should be.  Same with the red nail.  Most males with above average hand strength (not elite, just top 50%), could eventually close an average #3 with an MM set with a year or less of dedicated training and technique work.  Setting a gripper is probably the most technical aspect of our sport and the ability to properly do so makes a huge difference, so handing someone a gripper who has never trained on one isn't really a very good gauge of who could close a number 3.  Honestly, I think a lot of gripper guys hand grippers to strong newbs just to feel superior. lol   Those guys have no chance unless they are mutants.  Now take a hard #3 choked to parallel and start handing that out for people to try.  Show them where to place it in their hand, give them some chalk, and you might be shocked. 

When I got my first #3 (turned out to be a very easy one at 142 lbs), I had no idea how to close grippers.  I did them with basically no set and held onto the spring so they wouldn't spin in my hand.  I'd pinch em down a smidge just to get my fingers over the handles, but definitely wider than a CCS.  I had a set of HGs for a few months that I used to do for reps like that.  I ordered the 2.5 and closed it right out of the package using the spring steadying method.  I then ordered the #3 and closed that with the same technique within a a cople days.  I have genetically stronger hands than most I would guess, but I'm no mutant.  Once I was told you can't hold the spring to steady it like that, it took about a month for me to figure out how to set it correctly to close.  I had the hand strength, just not the technical ability.

Same holds true for the Red Nail.  If you spend a year training your technique and specific strength, most guys in the 50th percentile would be able to bend one. 

The issue with the above is that most people don't think this stuff is worth dedicating themselves for a year to do it.  I also think the vast majority of the population would think the fact that we are arguing about something like this is pretty silly and entertaining.

Again though, whether it is 10 or a trillion, feel good about you doing it and who cares about the rest. Because at the end of the day, you dedicaed yourself to a hard goal and reached it.

Mike hit it on the head! So many are CAPABLE if they put the work in. Just like many are capable of getting straight A’s if they applied themselves. Problem is, most wont care to apply themselves if it doesn’t come easy. That’s with any endeavor in life. Who has the potential? Who has the desire to do it? Many! But won’t!

Very few things in life are unachievable if you have a healthy strong well balanced mind and body dedicated to a goal. But there is no doubt TNSing a 3 is reserved for only 1 in a hundred who even bust their @ss for years.  Take a highschool class of football players with a hundred guys. Most are hitting the gym and those who arent good with the lifts usually dont lift. You will find on the team there are ten guys who crack 300+ on the bench and that one kid that hits 365-385. The 375 isnt for everyone and all and most had their chance to get there. 

Edited by Viceversus

Now take a hard #3 choked to parallel and start handing that out for people to try.  Show them where to place it in their hand, give them some chalk, and you might be shocked.   

Mike - just as an example - I have always been lousy at grippers - BUT choked to parallel I have closed a 195# COC #4.  One was strength - the other is about half a trick of learning to mostly close it with two hands - then take a hand off - kind of like using your hand as a choker.  :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Now take a hard #3 choked to parallel and start handing that out for people to try.  Show them where to place it in their hand, give them some chalk, and you might be shocked.   

Mike - just as an example - I have always been lousy at grippers - BUT choked to parallel I have closed a 195# COC #4.  One was strength - the other is about half a trick of learning to mostly close it with two hands - then take a hand off - kind of like using your hand as a choker.  :)

Bingo!

9 hours ago, lder said:

Just to ballpark typical training volume and frequency - 6 months of training at two gripper sessions a week without having an off week only puts you at 52 gripper training sessions.  Realistically because of injury, recovery, work, life... you might only be getting in three sessions every two weeks for a total of 39 gripper specific training sessions. That is a tremendous amount of improvement in a very short amount of time!  Grip strength along with any other significant strength/fitness improvement comes when you have a well rounded, personalized training program and patience.   

What I am saying is I have to train year round general grip and gripper training, then put 6 months dedicated work into just closing a 3. Unlike you who can have time off and then just close one. That is nearly 10 years of training in total just to get to a baseline level when I can close a 3 after 6 months training.

When I started I couldn't close a 1 even using setting techniques and help from coaching

I have terrible genetics for grippers, smaller hands, naturally weak, low hormone levels. I have just trained so hard to get where I am. 

I really think you are dismissing how hard this is for some people. 

If you closed a 3 within a few years of training....you will never understand. Just like someone who can bench 300lbs in 6 months of training, they will never understand what it is like to be only able to bench press an empty bar and fail on the second rep

Edited by db2000
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, db2000 said:

What I am saying is I have to train year round general grip and gripper training, then put 6 months dedicated work into just closing a 3. Unlike you who can have time off and then just close one. That is nearly 10 years of training in total just to get to a baseline level when I can close a 3 after 6 months training.

When I started I couldn't close a 1 even using setting techniques and help from coaching

I have terrible genetics for grippers, smaller hands, naturally weak, low hormone levels. I have just trained so hard to get where I am. 

I really think you are dismissing how hard this is for some people. 

If you closed a 3 within a few years of training....you will never understand. Just like someone who can bench 300lbs in 6 months of training, they will never understand what it is like to be only able to bench press an empty bar and fail on the second rep

I sympathize. Most of these folk wont know what its like to work your ass off only to move a few inches. Or to get a success and  to be doomed to rarely repeat it or fail altogether.

Im decent on some things but for the most part, Im weak for my size. It sucks. Especially in competition, which I probably will never do again. 

• Like 2

Here’s a few true TNS closes of a few of my number 3s. Picked up from table with only the gripping hand. 

I’m betting 6 billion humans are capable of this if they try. Man, woman,  insert delusional gender here, child, old, young, healthy or handicapped. Prove me wrong. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Here’s a few true TNS closes of a few of my number 3s. Picked up from table with only the gripping hand. 

I’m betting 6 billion humans are capable of this if they try. Man, woman,  insert delusional gender here, child, old, young, healthy or handicapped. Prove me wrong. 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Do you normally hold your grippers closed for time during your normal training? Kind of like Jedd’s Cadence Based Training program. Close the gripper and then hold for a count?

Edited by Shal9097

8 minutes ago, Shal9097 said:

Do you normally hold your grippers closed for time during your normal training? Kind of like Jedd’s Cadence Based Training program

I hold them closed, yes. Whether it’s singles or reps. Maximum squeeze for as long as I can, or for at least 5 seconds. I vary it up. I don’t know anything about Jedds cadence based program. I just do what I feel will get me the strongest, quickest. Can’t go wrong holding a heavy gripper shut for as long as you can . This was my normal training today. This was after 4 sets of 2 3/8 axle shoulder presses. I did a set of TNS holds with each number 3 that I own from least to greatest. Finished off with high rep hammer sets of 16 pounds   X 15 reps for 3 sets.

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m betting 6 billion humans are capable of this if they try.

No. However your TNS club is so exclusive it rivals The Hurlingham Club in London.  

Also based on complex mathematics, and 48 hours of peer reviewed physical science study reviews. I’ve without a doubt concluded only 5-8 people out 6+ billion candidates can close a #3 TNS. These subjects would need to be in peak physical condition, have under gone intense mental training on par with sere school or have atleast 50 hours of torture done by a trained intelligence officer and be between the ages of 20 and 40. It also helps if they are a member of a illustrious internet forum, say like the gripboard. My research has shown an increase of testosterone and synaptic development of at least 5.3216% using the forum.  Some may argue prolonged use of the GB may be equivalent to using....*chemicals that shall not be named* so moderation is key. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, KapMan said:

No. However your TNS club is so exclusive it rivals The Hurlingham Club in London.  

Also based on complex mathematics, and 48 hours of peer reviewed physical science study reviews. I’ve without a doubt concluded only 5-8 people out 6+ billion candidates can close a #3 TNS. These subjects would need to be in peak physical condition, have under gone intense mental training on par with sere school or have atleast 50 hours of torture done by a trained intelligence officer and be between the ages of 20 and 40. It also helps if they are a member of a illustrious internet forum, say like the gripboard. My research has shown an increase of testosterone and synaptic development of at least 5.3216% using the forum.  Some may argue prolonged use of the GB may be equivalent to using....*chemicals that shall not be named* so moderation is key. 

Ok, maybe it’s 7 billion and not 6.....

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Ok, maybe it’s 7 billion and not 6.....

You are a fun(gi) joe. Thats why I like you. 

45 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You are a fun(gi) joe. Thats why I like you. 

Yeah, those closes don't leave too mushroom for debate.

• Haha 2