Who can close a #3 Ronnie Coleman style?

Alawadhi

There was a certain "world class" bender who's typed posts were so "raw" you could barely understand half of them.  He was seemingly uneducated by his prose.

When he was found to be a fraud, he suddenly started posting in perfect, PHD level english.  It was the fastest self-education I've ever seen. It was literally some Flowers for Algernon level stuff.

Maybe he and Joe studied the same books?   There's no way the illiterate rube stuff could have been an act.  Instead of selling gripper videos, JK should have sold courses on how to learn to be proficient at language and become a tax genius in a few months between squat sessions.   He could have been a millionaire and upended our entire education system.

Definitely a missed opportunity.  

• Like 1

To the original topic, I think at my strongest on grippers about 9 years ago (180ish mms), I might have closed a 2.5 or a very, very easy #3 in the style Ronnie tried.  Maybe.  

• Like 1

Alawadhi - Lolz me being Joe Kinney is not far fetched, it's impossible. I've competed in two national championships, two European championships, three world championships, plus a lot of other comps, and I have put a boat load of videos on YouTube and Instagram. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure people know what I look like, and I'm pretty sure it's not like Joe Kinney. I'd guess the person that told you that had one too many beers prior to or is a couple branches short of a tree. I'd be much more likely to be Batman.

11 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

I'd be much more likely to be Batman.

Impossible!

000.png

• Haha 1

My Word is Bond!!!!  Prove I'm not!

• Like 1

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Impossible!

000.png

Hahaha

C74423BF-C5FB-4D92-9556-7349BD944A7F.gif

I’ve met Paul Savage when he was in Norway a few years back so I know he’s not Joe Kinney. He could still be Batman though. I’m not sure, we didn’t talk that much.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I know Ken is respected by many in the powerlifting community. I know he is/was an ackomplished athlete and influencer. However, I’m almost completely certain that the plates used in this video are fake. The way the whole stack of plates rotate from just him resting his hand on them toward the end of the video. Real weights just don’t move and behave like that. That’s supposedly 180 lbs on the end of that bar that is accelerated instantly from a dead stop, just by resting him resting his arm on it. I don’t buy it. 

• Like 4

This is how I expect 405 lbs squats to look like - Heavy, with the bar bending and with the weight clearly effecting the sway and movement of the lifters body. 

• Like 4

Maybe it was all the Black Coffee he drank!

i know I love mine ... ALL day long 

4CA0B3C4-E931-4FA2-A912-711A79D64B0A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Roger Roberson said:

Maybe it was all the Black Coffee he drank!

i know I love mine ... ALL day long 

4CA0B3C4-E931-4FA2-A912-711A79D64B0A.jpeg

Not working for me.  I drink at least a pot a day the way I like my women and I'm still weak as a kitten. 

45 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

This is how I expect 405 lbs squats to look like - Heavy, with the bar bending and with the weight clearly effecting the sway and movement of the lifters body. 

Marunde was a badass.  Crazy he had so much trouble with that compared to Dr. Ken.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not working for me.  I drink at least a pot a day the way I like my women and I'm still weak as a kitten. 

Was just kidding 😁

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

HOT AND BLAAAACKKKKKK! 

One thing about that Ironmind thread I found with Joe answering questions. He answered or at least addressed every single question he got asked on there. And it wasn’t just all in one night. That thread was open for weeks and he didn’t miss a single question. Maybe he was a fake. But I know a lot of high level gripper guys whose programs incorporate a lot of the techniques Joe talks about. And I also know that there are a whole lot of questions and posts on Gripboard that get a lot of views without anyone bothering to respond

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I know Ken is respected by many in the powerlifting community. I know he is/was an ackomplished athlete and influencer. However, I’m almost completely certain that the plates used in this video are fake. The way the whole stack of plates rotate from just him resting his hand on them toward the end of the video. Real weights just don’t move and behave like that. That’s supposedly 180 lbs on the end of that bar that is accelerated instantly from a dead stop, just by resting him resting his arm on it. I don’t buy it. 

Yeah, Ken Leistner used fake plates, had them posted on the Internet for many years before he passed away. Right. Beyond belief David Wigren would say something like that. Gripboard McCarthyism at its best.

He preached negatives and beyond the range grippers. How many people on here got to where they could close a #3 using negatives and filed grippers? 

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Yeah, Ken Leistner used fake plates, had them posted on the Internet for many years before he passed away. Right. Beyond belief David Wigren would say something like that. Gripboard McCarthyism at its best.

I would say it’s in very poor taste of you to use his passing as an argument against my character.

Ken’s unfortunate passing does not change whether or not those plates were fake or not.

I had to google McCarthyism:

” The practice of making accusations without proper regard for evidence

Haha, my god! The irony is so thick, you could eat it with a spoon! 🤣

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Funny how people think it'd be difficult to become a better writer. If that's something you want to become better at there's endless material everywhere to learn from. If you put some time and effort in I'd say there's few things in general you couldn't achieve at least a respectable level in. The way he choose to word a few posts was perhaps a little unecessary given the context, but then again if self expression through writing had become important for him it's understandable. 

And became an expert in the ins and outs of tax law.  Most people have to go to school for years for that and still have trouble navigating through it all.  That's a major accomplishment. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Marunde was a badass.  Crazy he had so much trouble with that compared to Dr. Ken.  

2nd strongest in the world at the time. (Or maybe 3rd or 4th if you take into consideration that strongman was split into two competing federations at the time). Regardless, he was a very strong dude!

• Like 1

I posted the Dr. Ken video up because it was a 20 rep squat video and thought it would add some levity and his name had come up in the thread.  It was an outtake of his hour long workout video.  I'll be completely honest, I had no idea he was being serious.  I literally thought the workout video was a parody/comedy video he put up.  Are we sure it isn't?  He spends the whole video acting like he was spitting loogies and blowing snot all over his gym.  I assumed he was mocking meatheads and using fake weights and overacting during and after the sets to make his point.  Plus, the overlaid music.  Are you sure that's meant to be real @Hubgeezer?  The bar literally remains ramrod straight when he explodes out of the hole on those squats.  Not even a wobble.  One minute he gasps for air and the next he breathes normal.  I literally thought all these years he was just having fun.  Had no idea it was serious.  If this was real, then Ken was way stronger than I ever imagined.  Hell, way stronger than Marunde at his strongest.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

The only times a post gets a lot of comments or views on this site is when a bickering match breaks out. Post a question as a newbie and it either gets ignored or you get told to do a search through the old posts, like that wasn’t the first thing you tried to begin with. And I could search the gripboard without becoming a member. I joined so that I could ask specific questions and get straight answers from some people who know more than I do. But those people either just sit back and watch without saying anything, bicker and argue like a bunch of old women going through the change, or stop getting on here altogether because of an injury or they just got tired of the bullshit. If it keeps up like this, then this site is going to die once Wannagrip decides he doesn’t want to fool with it anymore because you guys do way more to scare people away from grip than get them more involved 

• Like 2