Who can close a #3 Ronnie Coleman style?

Alawadhi

I received one email from Joe on 6-2-15, I replied on 7-11-15, and I never heard anything else.   I can't remember any other written communication between us.  I'm not saying there's not any;  just that I can't remember any if there was.  I'll check and see if I have any as they would be put up with my grip stuff that others have signed or written.

Others have letters written by Joe.

He talked like I do, which is drawled and twangy to most others.   I enjoyed our talks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Could you direct me to any sources on Kinney and the Inch? I always thought that was a Timmy thing.

I see it. It was a 2001 Joe Roark post on this forum, no source referenced.

11 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

The IM Joe Kinney is Joe Kinney.You missed the video of him logging in? It was a Classic. He has written before about his self-improvement through self-education.

Could you direct me to any sources on Kinney and the Inch? I always thought that was a Timmy thing.

I highly doubt JK is a member here. Way too much Bad Juju for him to be a “member” I suspect. I speculate it is a philosophical thing. How long has it been that this has been open to the Public? 8 years more or less?

Heath is one source.  Said Joe told him that more than once. 

And once again you do a disservice to the people on this board by misrepresenting what Alawadhi posted. (couldn't resist). There was a second link Alawadhi posted.  Not sure who this is, but he' a certified CoC.  So now you have two certified COCs stating that Joe claimed this feat.

stratavarious_connection   

• Certified Captain of Crush
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Alawadhi,

Joe Kinney told me quite some time ago that he could pass the Inch from hand to hand. I didn't see him do it personally, therefore I'll let you decide as to whether or not he did do it.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

As far as I have been able to find, only Adam, Tanner, Jedd, and Andrew D. have accomplished a hand to hand toss of an Inch.  There may be a few more, but those were the only ones I could find.  I don't believe anyone has ever accomplished a hand to hand and back again even once.  Do you believe that Joe was so much better at the Inch dumbbell than these 4 guys that he could just toss it back and forth from hand to hand?  That would be comparable to saying he could bench 1000 lbs raw if he was that much better than some of the best in the game.

If you believe it, cool.

If not, why would you believe any of his other claims? 

@Hubgeezer bump, in case you missed it in all the back and forth.  Or maybe I missed your response.  We now have confirmation from two certified Captains of Crush that he told them he could do this personally.  Unless you are calling Heath and stratavarious_connection liars, Joe made this claim multiple times.  Do you believe he was that far ahead of some of the best guys in the world on the Inch?  If so, more power to ya.  If not, then apparently the man's word is not bond.

info:  In order to believe that he could do this, one would have to believe that in the space of 1-2 years, Joe started from baseline and became not only the best gripper closer in history (by a factor of 2 based on the bigfoot video), but also had time to train for and become the best thick bar lifter in history by a wide margin.  All of this while doing enough Hatfield squats day after day and month after month to destroy a highly supplemented WSM competitor in a week or two?  When did he have time to go to work or do things on his property?  Or eat?  Or sleep?  Any one of those three feats would be an unbelievably amazing accomplishment.  But all three?

Mike, you seem to be a very analytical guy.  Does the above sound even remotely possible?  I know you have a relationship with the guy through correspondence, but if you looked at it with a non-biased eye... do you really think he was able to accomplish all of that in a year or two of training?  If so, I know there is no changing your mind on this and I'll shut up and we can agree to disagree. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

Yeah Ronnie definitely could have closed it with a little set training and practice. No doubt about it

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks for the link on the Joe Roark post.  Another interesting post from him in that thread.  So the #4 Joe "certed" on was lost before October of 2001?  He wouldn't get it calibrated? How did he show it to Heath?

Btw, @Roark is the man!

Roark     38

"This is an appeal to Joe Kinney, who in fact may be less concerned with his place in the gripper scheme of history than are the rest of us, certainly less than I.

Now that the IGC has been formed, and will be keeping specific records, those records which remain vague will of necessity be grouped together with an asterisk: all uncalibrated grippers, known only by number type, MUSTyield to known quantities. So, whoever closes the first calibrated #4 gripper must top the list, and whoever has closed an uncalibrated gripper must be ranked lower,and remain lower until the proper ranking can be assigned by calibration. Perhaps Mr. Kinney will rise to the top when his #4 is calibrated. Perhaps he will not. We must forever assign him a lower place for his lost #4 which was never calibrated, and will forever remain an unknown specific.

Mr. Kinney deserves notation for being the first person to close a #4, calibrated or not. He will top that list forever, just as Mr. Sorin will on the #3 list, and these comments are in no way intended to disparage Mr.Kinney- in fact the very opposite. I am urging him toclaim his rightful place in this listing. Frankly, since PDA is willing to calibrate the gripper for free, I am puzzled that the matter has not been handled by now.

So, those of you personally acquainted with Mr. Kinney, please chat with him about this, and report back to the board what you discover. If he simply has no interest in the matter, then the asterisk must remain on what will eventually be a lenthening list of calibrated #4 closures.

If that is the case, and the uncertainty remains, then let's hear no moans of justice thwarted. Choices have consequences."

Thanks for bringing it up. I forgot to post it too. Too many points lol. So he showed Heath a gripper which he claimed it was lost. Hey I have many different #4's. If I ever had timmy's #4 I could shut it on video and then show you a different #4. No big deal.

43 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

The IM Joe Kinney is Joe Kinney.You missed the video of him logging in? It was a Classic. He has written before about his self-improvement through self-education.

I highly doubt JK is a member here. Way too much Bad Juju for him to be a “member” I suspect. I speculate it is a philosophical thing. How long has it been that this has been open to the Public? 8 years more or less?

I remember that too. That's why I told you Joe Kinney is involved but he is NOT the one writing. Few have letters of Joe Kinney and I remember he wasn't the best writer. John (AKA Sybersnott), God bless his soul (yes he passed away a couple of years back) had a letter of him back in 2004. The website is lost but I found it in the archives here (Please click on the link here). The mistake between Your and Yer is something you cannot ignore especially from someone who writes better than a university professor now. Even Jordan Rechsteiner saw it here in 2012. Joe Kinney is not the one typing but he is involved.

I gave you three credible sources as I don't have a recording of me and Joe Kinney talking about it. From Joe Roark, Heath, and stratavarious_connection  (two are CoC #3 certifier and Joe is a Iron historian). And of course you don't think they lie. So it wasn't a timmy thing although timmy brought it up few times.

29 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I see it. It was a 2001 Joe Roark post on this forum, no source referenced.

Hmmm you do not believe him? Or Heath and stratavarious_connection ? Comon you don't believe they lie do you?

28 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Heath is one source.  Said Joe told him that more than once. 

And once again you do a disservice to the people on this board by misrepresenting what Alawadhi posted. (couldn't resist). There was a second link Alawadhi posted.  Not sure who this is, but he' a certified CoC.  So now you have two certified COCs stating that Joe claimed this feat.

stratavarious_connection   

• Certified Captain of Crush
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Alawadhi,

Joe Kinney told me quite some time ago that he could pass the Inch from hand to hand. I didn't see him do it personally, therefore I'll let you decide as to whether or not he did do it.

Thank you sir. But they are three people not two 😎 and finally look at this picture of the legendary Joe Kinney. Back to Ronnie or still?

• Like 1

Oh I totally forgot the reps he did on the TTK. It was all 100 pounds. Man....man!!!!! What is that!

• Like 1

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

How the heck did this post morph into a Joe Kinney legend fest? 🤦‍♂️ 

When @Hubgeezer claimed Joe Kinney can close a #3 like Ronnie Coleman.

Just now, Alawadhi said:

When @Hubgeezer claimed Joe Kinney can close a #3 like Ronnie Coleman.

I think that was actually @Cannon that suggested it might be possible.  Either way, it was bound to happen on some random thread.  It's like an annual purge.  At least once a year this topic comes up, gets beat to death, and then everyone can forget it for another year.  lol

However, there was actually a lot of good info in this one and tracking down stuff from original sources.  Plus it was a hoot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I think that was actually @Cannon that suggested it might be possible.  Either way, it was bound to happen on some random thread.  It's like an annual purge.  At least once a year this topic comes up, gets beat to death, and then everyone can forget it for another year.  lol

However, there was actually a lot of good info in this one and tracking down stuff from original sources.  Plus it was a hoot. 

Yesss correct. Sorry but all of this got messed in my head haha. Kinney can do magic too. Legend has it he served in WW1 and 2.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Oh I totally forgot the reps he did on the TTK. It was all 100 pounds. Man....man!!!!! What is that!

Holy crap, me too.  Best by a mile on dynamic thumb strength too.  Total package. 

12 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

How the heck did this post morph into a Joe Kinney legend fest? 🤦‍♂️ 

Since we are doing legends what about the famous 🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹

• Haha 1

nO3nx.jpg

• Haha 3

Mike (R), you seemed to be satisfied back in 2011 on the IM Forum on the clarification of Kinney's "squats". You had many words on that. I am not going to parse what you said then and draw conclusions from them.

What you are saying now is not consistent with what you said in 2011. Could you go back and read them? I could give you Post Numbers. I am curious what has caused you to do a 180.

On the subject of Joe Roark. Joe Roark and my brother are friends. His matter of fact description of what Joe Kinney could do with the Inch in 2001 caused me to ask "What is his source?" He had to hear it from someone. I am curious about that as well.

58 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Mike (R), you seemed to be satisfied back in 2011 on the IM Forum on the clarification of Kinney's "squats". You had many words on that. I am not going to parse what you said then and draw conclusions from them.

What you are saying now is not consistent with what you said in 2011. Could you go back and read them? I could give you Post Numbers. I am curious what has caused you to do a 180.

On the subject of Joe Roark. Joe Roark and my brother are friends. His matter of fact description of what Joe Kinney could do with the Inch in 2001 caused me to ask "What is his source?" He had to hear it from someone. I am curious about that as well.

I was a strength world noob in 2011.  I grew up.  I learned more. I talked to people that were among the 10 strongest men in the world who told me no way.  I heard about other outlandish claims Joe made. He got connected with the Woods.  I looked at the bigfoot video more closely, instead of as a fan boy.  I got burned defending the Joe Kinney of bending.  When he turned out to be a complete fraud, it made me look at others with a more scientific eye vs. an I really want this to be true eye.

There.  I answered yours.  You going to answer mine?  Do you believe Joe could toss the Inch back and forth?  

If so, and you believe his other claims, do you believe he was the greatest strength athlete in history?  Those 3 claimed feats alone after only 1 or 2 years of training makes that an undeniable fact.  He was by far, the greatest strength athlete of all time.  Hell, the squats alone put him up there. And he did it all natty, if you don't count the steroids his body was making doing the squats.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

There.  I answered yours.  You going to answer mine?  Do you believe Joe could toss the Inch back and forth?  

Absolutely not. But do I believe that he could have been bent over, passing it back and forth, dropping it, yes. So I don't know what he said to who. I suspect it is similar to the John Wood Millennium dumbbell. JW did something with it, somehow it got expanded by others to the point where it was an impossible feat that he never claimed. I say suspect. But I saw, with my own eyes, someone at the 2007 British Grip Championships mocking JW as they stood over Gardener's M Bell.  I know he nor his father ever said what others said that he did.  I would never believe that Joe Kinney was one of the top thick bar fellows in history. He certainly never said that he was, and I never saw R Strossen bragging on JK's thick bar prowess.

When I was going through the IM thread that had your posts sprinkled about, I saw that I had naively encouraged people to talk about Gazza, having only a remote sense of who he was. I ended up getting emails and PMs from people pretty much either alarmed or cautioning me. I don't buy the analogy that you make there, but if that's the way your brain works, I doubt if there is anything I can do or say to change your mind.

Which leads me to this. I am curious,  is there ANYTHING that would cause you and the four or five vocal others here that would ever convince you that Joe Kinney was more than a Number 2 closer? Richard Sorin recertified on the 3 at Age 57, and he seemed to challenge Kinney on some forum when Kinney was 57. JK is now 61 or 62. No one has ever certified on the Number 3 past the age of 60, and to my knowledge, the only person over 60 who was capable of doing so was the late great G Gillingham. If I challenged JK to a race to Number 3 Certification, and he got it at Age 62, does that prove anything? I just pulled that one out of my ass, which is why I ask the question. Or, in the Wigren World, that would just prove that he was a 62 year old who certified on the Number 3, done something never done before, and big deal. I am curious. Besides, I wouldn't mind making a wager with him, especially because I am around 3 years older than him:D.

• Like 1

Nothing would convince me of extraordinary feats besides a high quality video with reasonable witnesses, or obviously if I were to witness it myself. Not even about this, but in every situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Absolutely not. But do I believe that he could have been bent over, passing it back and forth, dropping it, yes. So I don't know what he said to who. I suspect it is similar to the John Wood Millennium dumbbell. JW did something with it, somehow it got expanded by others to the point where it was an impossible feat that he never claimed. I say suspect. But I saw, with my own eyes, someone at the 2007 British Grip Championships mocking JW as they stood over Gardener's M Bell.  I know he nor his father ever said what others said that he did.  I would never believe that Joe Kinney was one of the top thick bar fellows in history. He certainly never said that he was, and I never saw R Strossen bragging on JK's thick bar prowess.

When I was going through the IM thread that had your posts sprinkled about, I saw that I had naively encouraged people to talk about Gazza, having only a remote sense of who he was. I ended up getting emails and PMs from people pretty much either alarmed or cautioning me. I don't buy the analogy that you make there, but if that's the way your brain works, I doubt if there is anything I can do or say to change your mind.

Which leads me to this. I am curious,  is there ANYTHING that would cause you and the four or five vocal others here that would ever convince you that Joe Kinney was more than a Number 2 closer? Richard Sorin recertified on the 3 at Age 57, and he seemed to challenge Kinney on some forum when Kinney was 57. JK is now 61 or 62. No one has ever certified on the Number 3 past the age of 60, and to my knowledge, the only person over 60 who was capable of doing so was the late great G Gillingham. If I challenged JK to a race to Number 3 Certification, and he got it at Age 62, does that prove anything? I just pulled that one out of my ass, which is why I ask the question. Or, in the Wigren World, that would just prove that he was a 62 year old who certified on the Number 3, done something never done before, and big deal. I am curious. Besides, I wouldn't mind making a wager with him, especially because I am around 3 years older than him:D.

All he had to do was not edit the video or do it in front of someone that knew something about grippers when he could do it.

The way he manhandled and played with that #4, he should be able to cert a 3.5 now.  I mean, he made it look like a number 1.  Slow close.  Way wider than CCS. Talked casually and ground the handles back and forth like it was a toy.  What he did with the lost gripper that was supposedly a bear, was comperable to a ccs with a number 5.  

So a cert on a 3.5 (or even getting close) with a real witness would tell me he was the real deal.  A cert on a 3 would tell me what I thought, that he got really strong on grippers but couldn't quite get to a legit #4.  No shame in that.  But that doesn't sell videos and gripper machines now does it?

I have never said he could never close anything harder than a 2.  I'm fairly confident the guy was great at grippers.  Just not otherworldly fantastic.  That's where he lost a lot of people.  Claiming feats that were so far ahead of everyone else without solid proof.

As for the Inch, you have Heath telling you that Joe made the claim to him several times.  Another certified CoC said the same thing.  If you are saying you think those two have changed the story or are telling a fib, then I can't change your mind either.  One minute you are using Heath as the definitive word on the subject.  Now you are saying you don't believe him when he says Joe told him this on multiple occasions.  I can't keep up with you brother.  But if he did say this to these guys, and I have no reason to doubt Heath, I don't think the term "word is my bond", means what Joe thinks it means.  

On the Millennium, you may want to check your archives on that.  At one point, I believe someone on here posted a website with Kim stating John did it.  Been a while, so I don't recall exactly.  But there was some sort of "proof" floating around at one time.  Crazy enough, that's not even the most outlandish claims I've heard people mention. 

But hey... how bout that Ronnie Coleman. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Or, in the Wigren World, that would just prove that he was a 62 year old who certified on the Number 3, done something never done before, and big deal.

Correct. It would only prove that he certed on the #3 at age 62. 

This is not how the “Wigren world” works, it’s how the serious scientific community works, period. You either understand it, or you don’t.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 2

Apparently, Word is my Bond is a big deal with all these guys:

kimwood     0

To whom it may concern,

Recently, myself, along with Dr. Ken and kathy Leistner from Long Island, NY, Janet and Steve Balwin from Memphis Tennessee, and Roger LaPointe from Detroit , Michigan, witnessed John Wood lift one of the Millennium Dumbbells I purchased from Steve Gardener in England off the ground. I have seen him do this eight or ten times without warming up; the highest lift was about 6 inches off the ground. I was an NFL strength coach for 29 years. I helped start Nautilus with Arthur Jones. Pete Brown, Gary Jones and myself started the Hammer Strength Corporation. I have been lifting since 1958. I have been fortunate enough to see many of the great lifters perform, Norb Schemansky, Tommy Kono, Clyde Emerich, Ken Patera etc... I am 58 years old. I do not wear glasses.

Word is bond.- Kim Wood

I believe this was the cuberpump article, but unfortunately the link doesn't work. 

00 00 Screenshot_20190626-153537_Samsung Internet.jpg

Okay, so doing something in 2019 or 2020 that has never been done before, means nothing. Age is just a number, and grip strength does not fall off after roughly 20 years of no training. Got it. I would do it just for a bet/challenge for me, was wondering if there was a byproduct to it in causing a current nonbeliever into  believing Kinney was the best crusher in the world in 1998.  No, there would not be that byproduct, at least for two people.

Six inches off the ground is not what was floating around on the M Bell.  The story I heard was picking it up and putting it in the back of a truck. This was not true, nor was it ever represented as such by K or J Wood. I believe six inches off the ground, absolutely. Apparently you had not heard the Urban Myth that I had, or some of the guys in England had.  It may have been in a strength newsletter that got repeated on the Internet.

I would speculate that, in making the original (1998) Get A Grip video, there would be other footage done about that time. I will ask. I doubt if that was a one-take shot.

Why does this matter to me? Because with no proof, someone started a whisper campaign that Joe Kinney's Number 4 gripper was cooked. And, the only witness was his wife. And, the only witness for IM purposes was his wife. And, then this stuff all began. And, I am one of the few people who has seen one of the "Secret Letters" in the possession of someone, the letters supposedly discrediting Joe Kinney, but was proven to be a nothing-burger. Been following this for years. So I don't buy this "science" BS that David is selling. How do we know that some of his bends are not real? Is there video showing when he purchased the stock, or opened the package from wherever he purchased it? Where does it end? It doesn't.

Joe Kinney Official "#4" close - He grinded the handles for 8 seconds.  Name one man in the world that can do that no set and grinding nonsense with a #3.5 gripper... Take a poll and 85-90% would say the #4 close in video is NOT legit. What a grip on that guy, LMAO.

• Thanks 1

The story put out by Kim was John unloaded it from the truck one handed and walked it.  At least that's what I recall from the cyberpump article.  Again, I'm old and the link to the article doesn't work.  Maybe @Wannagrip could pull it up from the archives. He posted this pic up as proof.  Notice the shirt pull and it resting on his thigh.  My avatar on here for years was me holding the Inch like this as a tribute to the foolishness.

00000 Screenshot_20190626-155504_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Haha 1