Who can close a #3 Ronnie Coleman style?

Alawadhi

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

This looks MMS no where close to Ronnie style. I have yet to see Ronnie Coleman style close or attempt.

I remember that. It was a slow hydraulic close but NOT close to Ronnie style. Dave Morton did it too. I can do that to a #2 but not close to a #2 Ronnie style. Gripper is down in the palm, not the right spot, not using the thumbs, pinkie is way up, bad leverage. But if you are talking about another attempt I didn't see it.

The way I remember Patrick’s close, it was so fast it was like a reptile gulping down a bug faster the eye could see it. Hand placement? Don’t remember it. The speed of the no set was beyond anything I’ve ever seen though...

Before my injury in November which I’m still recovering from, I definitely could close a 3 like that no problem 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Before my injury in November which I’m still recovering from, I definitely could close a 3 like that no problem 

Could you close a 3 with the Funky Ronnie Coleman Hold?

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Could you close a 3 with the Funky Ronnie Coleman Hold?

I believe so. The 3 was a toy for me at my peak. I’m rehabbing right now but I’ll try once I’m fully back. I remember showing guys grippers at the gym and picking up a 3 with no warm up and closing it so fast tns you hear across the gym and it was effortless. I was talking to them while holding it 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

On 6/21/2019 at 1:00 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Ben! You remember that? I remember the first time I went to AOBS in 2005, a bunch of us were talking about it, and Jedd was: “Patrick? Who is Patrick??”

I remember him. We corresponded briefly, and his gripper strength was outrageous.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I believe so. The 3 was a toy for me at my peak. I’m rehabbing right now but I’ll try once I’m fully back. I remember showing guys grippers at the gym and picking up a 3 with no warm up and closing it so fast tns you hear across the gym and it was effortless. I was talking to them while holding it 

Nice! Please try it when you are strong again. Would really love to see it.

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Nice! Please try it when you are strong again. Would really love to see it.

Will do but it will be a while. I won’t be able to start really start training until end of August. Doing basic physical therapy stuff right now 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, Cannon said:

They have better technique with respect to pinky placement, but I feel both Heslep and Kinney essentially close grippers this way.  @Joseph Sullivan  I agree, I think your style is similar to what Ronnie did as well.  Ronnie sure gave that thing a ride!

I don't remember ever seeing Tommy do anything other than MMS closes.  Strong like bull, but I don't know that he coul close one the way Ronnie tried. 

As for Kinney... highly doubtful.  Has anyone ever seen him close a big gripper in person (that isn't in his family).  Come on man.  The guy claimed to do a set of 200kg squats for 60 reps EVERY DAY - FOR MONTHS, and you believe anything that comes out of his mouth?  Anybody have a vid of him closing a gripper where the gripper actually opens after he closes it?  If he was able to close a legit number 4 like he did in the grainy, dark, big foot video; then yes he could.  But... um... no.  :rolleyes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Will do but it will be a while. I won’t be able to start really start training until end of August. Doing basic physical therapy stuff right now 

Speedy recovery bro.

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I don't remember ever seeing Tommy do anything other than MMS closes.  Strong like bull, but I don't know that he coul close one the way Ronnie tried. 

As for Kinney... highly doubtful.  Has anyone ever seen him close a big gripper in person (that isn't in his family).  Come on man.  The guy claimed to do a set of 200kg squats for 60 reps EVERY DAY - FOR MONTHS, and you believe anything that comes out of his mouth?  Anybody have a vid of him closing a gripper where the gripper actually opens after he closes it?  If he was able to close a legit number 4 like he did in the grainy, dark, big foot video; then yes he could.  But... um... no.  :rolleyes

I saw Tommy doing 10 wide MMS reps on a #3 and a double TNS on a #3. One #3 in each hand. But I doubt he could do like Ronnie. I need to see to believe it. That requires very strong open hand strength. As for Kinney, thb I thought it was a joke. Anyone here still believe Kinney closed a legit #4? To be honest, not even Joe Kinney can replicate what Joe Kinney did!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Anyone here still believe Kinney closed a legit #4? To be honest, not even Joe Kinney can replicate what Joe Kinney did!!!

Two things: 1) Heath Sexton may be the only current Gripboard member who has met JKinney. I thought he believed JK was the real deal. 2) Kinney is in his 60s now. If he is like everyone else, he couldn't duplicate much of anything done before the Age of 40. 

51 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Two things: 1) Heath Sexton may be the only current Gripboard member who has met JKinney. I thought he believed JK was the real deal. 2) Kinney is in his 60s now. If he is like everyone else, he couldn't duplicate much of anything done before the Age of 40. 

Is Joe still alive?
Someone put up a thread detailing that Joe had passed way (recently) and it was quickly removed from the board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Heath said he was a nice guy and gave a number 3 a good squeeze but couldn't close it.  He withheld judgement on anything else. That was when Joe was still in his 40s. Nobody outside his family has ever seen him close anything hard (urban legends about his buddies at work not withstanding).  Heath is a really nice guy and certainly wouldn't call the guy a fraud. 

Joe and a certain bender, that shall not be named, should get together and bend railroad spikes and close #4s for each other. Because they certainly won't do it for anyone else.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

I don’t want to start a big argument back and forth about joes coc4 video . Wish like Jed’s Johnson said the video would have showed the gripper opening after the close.

but there is one thing I know isn’t fake and it keeps me trying to use his tatics .

This photo of joe holding that spring gripper shut . If it’s anything close to the Tetting Thor or more pressure, he had to have some kinda grip strength to hold that thing shut . Even if it was just few seconds. 

Like I said though don’t want to argue , just something to think about.

7A36E2C2-1CB0-4067-8B4B-D7476BE91807.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Heath said he was a nice guy and gave a number 3 a good squeeze but couldn't close it.  He withheld judgement on anything else.

I went back and reread Heath’s lengthy write up of his 4 hour meeting with Joe Kinney. Read all the comments on the thread, which was started on June 8, 2003, and closed in 2015. Read them twice.

MR’s recap posted yesterday was not accurate nor true. He did a disservice to the readers of this forum with his words.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I went back and reread Heath’s lengthy write up of his 4 hour meeting with Joe Kinney. Read all the comments on the thread, which was started on June 8, 2003, and closed in 2015. Read them twice.

MR’s recap posted yesterday was not accurate nor true. He did a disservice to the readers of this forum with his words.

I apologize.  That's how I remembered the posts Heath later made.  Not sure I ever saw the original write up.  What exactly wasn't accurate that I said?  He said Joe gave the #3 a good squeeze but couldn't close it.  I also said he thought Joe was a good guy.  Which one of those is not true?  Did he close the #3 or is he not a good guy?  Where was the disservice Geez?  Which one of those two facts were not true.  

Are you just mad because you're buddies with the king of tall tales Kim Wood?  I know his son produced the video of him claiming to squat 440 x 60 every day.  

Produce one person who saw him close a number 4 in person that inspected the gripper.  Just 1.  Then I'll gladly admit I was wrong.  This whole thing had died down until he and John put that video out to try and make money off even more tall tales.  440 x 60.  SMH.

I will say that I work 70-80 hours a week and don't have the time or desire to search back through the archives and read threads.  I was also not on the GB in 2003. So I was going by memory on what Heath said in other threads later on when this subject came up.  Like I said before, he was very positive toward Joe but (as I recall) didn't say definitively that he was sure Joe closed the #4.

Just 1 piece of proof.  1.  And I'll kiss your ass on the courthouse steps in a windstorm Mike.  And bigfoot videos are not proof.  Nor is Kim Wood's word.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle

Have you found and read Heath’s write up yet? 

Did you read what Kinney did to Heath’s extremely filed No.3, and Heath’s proclaiming Kinney as the “real deal”, etc.?

Did you read about Heath’s detailed description of Kinney’s No. 4?

Do you believe Heath is just some rube mesmerized by JK’s Hillbilly Charm?

So Joe owned a real #4.  Good for him. So did Timmy the grip stomper as I recall.

Haven't read it yet.  Like I said.

So he did close the 3?  

Never said Joe didn't have a really strong grip.  Just that he didn't close a legit #4 with a super wide set and grind the handles with no effort like in his bigfoot video.  I'm sure he had a very strong grip and was the real deal as far as that.  I just don't believe he did what was shown in the vid.  I also don't believe he did 440 x 60 everyday before his morning chit.  

I have the utmost respect for Heath.  Was always a great guy.  But there is absolutely no way for him to know if Joe closed a real #4 unless he saw him do it.

Again, I was going off comments Heath made later on in other posts, which were along the lines you described.  I don't recall him ever saying Joe for sure closed a legit #4.  If he says it in his original post (does he?) Then I stand corrected about him withholding judgement on that.  

So Heath does say he's sure he closed a legit #4, or does he just say he's the real deal?  Did he close the 3?  As I recall, Heath said he got close. 

BTW, a filed #3 is light years away from doing what Joe shows in that video.  Maybe 50% as hard???

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

1) He met with Joe Kinney in toys r us parking lot. Not only Joe couldn't close a #4, he couldn't close #3. He have Heath a scrap gripper which he claimed he closed (notice this came from a guy who can't close a #3). Anyone who could grind a legit #4 can anytime close a #3. He showed Heath a CoC #4. These are the facts and nothing else. 2) No one is asking Kinney to prove himself as I will not ask a fish to walk on land, or a lion to only eat fruits. This is because, well, I already know the answer and don't want to embarrass myself.

16 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Heath said he was a nice guy and gave a number 3 a good squeeze but couldn't close it.  He withheld judgement on anything else. That was when Joe was still in his 40s. Nobody outside his family has ever seen him close anything hard (urban legends about his buddies at work not withstanding).  Heath is a really nice guy and certainly wouldn't call the guy a fraud. 

Joe and a certain bender, that shall not be named, should get together and bend railroad spikes and close #4s for each other. Because they certainly won't do it for anyone else.

Oh no Joe was more than a #4 torturer. He was squatting 200KG for 60 reps every morning on an empty stomach. World strongest men can't do half of this nowadays with enhancements. He could pass the Inch bell from one hand to another early morning before breakfast for tens of reps. Talk about thumb power. Funny to talk about that bender who could before having breakfast bend a 4.5" SS 3/8 old hard stock FBBC barehanded behind his back as a warm up. Dude these guys are legends. And on top of all this, the best gripster and best bender can't replicate half of those claims.

13 hours ago, Roger Roberson said:

I don’t want to start a big argument back and forth about joes coc4 video . Wish like Jed’s Johnson said the video would have showed the gripper opening after the close.

but there is one thing I know isn’t fake and it keeps me trying to use his tatics .

This photo of joe holding that spring gripper shut . If it’s anything close to the Tetting Thor or more pressure, he had to have some kinda grip strength to hold that thing shut . Even if it was just few seconds. 

Like I said though don’t want to argue , just something to think about.

7A36E2C2-1CB0-4067-8B4B-D7476BE91807.png

One, is that really Joe? Second, I have the same dumpster spring gripper and I can close it for reps using only two fingers. They vary in strength, like A LOT.

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Just 1 piece of proof.  1.  And I'll kiss your ass on the courthouse steps in a windstorm Mike.  And bigfoot videos are not proof.  Nor is Kim Wood's word.  

Wong! His word is bond :D JK, he used to say that a lot. He also used to say his team while watching movies in late Friday's were closing the #4 for reps while eating pop corn. Does he think he is talking to stupid people??!

35 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

So Joe owned a real #4.  Good for him. So did Timmy the grip stomper as I recall.

Haven't read it yet.  Like I said.

So he did close the 3?  

Never said Joe didn't have a really strong grip.  Just that he didn't close a legit #4 with a super wide set and grind the handles with no effort like in his bigfoot video.  I'm sure he had a very strong grip and was the real deal as far as that.  I just don't believe he did what was shown in the vid.  I also don't believe he did 440 x 60 everyday before his morning chit.  

I have the utmost respect for Heath.  Was always a great guy.  But there is absolutely no way for him to know if Joe closed a real #4 unless he saw him do it.

Again, I was going off comments Heath made later on in other posts, which were along the lines you described.  I don't recall him ever saying Joe for sure closed a legit #4.  If he says it in his original post (does he?) Then I stand corrected about him withholding judgement on that.  

So Heath does say he's sure he closed a legit #4, or does he just say he's the real deal?  Did he close the 3?  As I recall, Heath said he got close. 

BTW, a filed #3 is light years away from doing what Joe shows in that video.  Maybe 50% as hard???

Yes Timmy also closed his #4's which later he admits it was as hard as a #1.5 to #2. And no Joe never closed a #3 seen by a credible witness. If Mr. Kinney could do what he wanted us to believe, he would've closed that #3 behind his back TNS with two fingers.

• Like 1

Frauds are soo common in pretty much any sport or pursuit. People will lie about anything, just for the smallest piece of recognition. Now, was Kinney a fraud? No no knows for sure. I personally think he was. Heath’s encounter with Joe doesn’t prove a thing. The strength difference between what was claimed by Joe and what was seen by Heath is astronomical. I mean imagine if someone would claim to be able to bench 200 kg and then a few years later were found to have a max of 130 kg. Would you take that as proof that he was able to bench 200 kg just a few years before? 

But like I said, there’s no way of knowing. I’ve always treated Kinney as an unknown who never bothered to prove his claims. He should therefor not be respected for his claims regardless if they really happened or not.

• Like 1

@Alawadhi and @David_wigren, I'm very sorry for doing you and everyone on the Gripboard a dis-service.  🤷‍♂️😉 

Joe ate red nails and crapped #4 springs. It's how he got his iron, which helped him make his steroids when he squatted world records every morning.  Fact. My word is bond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

@Alawadhi and @David_wigren, I'm very sorry for doing you and everyone on the Gripboard a dis-service.  🤷‍♂️😉 

Joe ate red nails and crapped #4 springs. It's how he got his iron, which helped him make his steroids when he squatted world records every morning.  Fact. My word is bond.

I doubted you all the way until you said “word is bond”. Now I know everything you say must be true!

• Haha 2

Your comments are comical. None of you has the guts to post Heath's thread. That way you can parse it any way you would like. That way you can bank on  your belief that people are too lazy to do their own research.

No, Heath's post does not prove that Joe Kinney closed a Number 4. But some of things he said contradict much of the parroting that has occurred over the years about Joe Kinney. David called him a Fraud two posts ago. Mike R called him that yesterday before he "edited" his comments. Alawadhi lumped Kinney in the "Timmy" category in the last 10 minutes.

This is truly funny stuff guys!

Edited by Hubgeezer

11 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Your comments are comical. None of you has the guts to post Heath's thread. That way you can parse it any way you would like. That way you can bank on  your belief that people are too lazy to do their own research.

No, Heath's post does not prove that Joe Kinney closed a Number 4. But some of things he said contradict much of the parroting that has occurred over the years about Joe Kinney. David called him a Fraud two posts ago. Mike R called him that yesterday before he "edited" his comments. Alawadhi lumped Kinney in the "Timmy" category in the last 10 minutes.

I would give you a proper response but my fingers are bent and I’m bleeding from my fingernails.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Yea, I thought fraud was a lil harsh.  So I deleted that right after I posted it.  

I'm not searching for a 15 yo thread. If you want it posted, post it.

Let me ask you one question:  Do you believe the man squatted 440 x 60 every day for months on an empty stomach?  That's what was claimed.  

Also, I know you keyboard warriors are tough guys, but you might want to tone it down a lil.  You've now done two things on here that would get the piss slapped out of you if you said them to me face to face.  You called me a liar first, and now a coward.  Both undeserved I believe. 

Apparently I was 100% correct that Joe didn't close the #3, Joe was a nice guy, and Heath didn't say he was sure Joe could close the #4.  If any of those are untrue, as stated above, I will apologize.  Although none of those things, if I was wrong, means Joe closed a legit #4.  Also, I have no problem with someone posting his write-up.  If I am wrong about something, I'm always the 1st to admit it.

Anyway, I would just suggest you think before you type in the future.  I'm fairly easy going, but there are some crazy guys out there that would buy a plane ticket if called a coward or liar.  In fact, I heard the spike bender once threatened to do that to Pat or someone once.  😂 

I know Joe is a hero to all the IM fanboys.  I get it.  But unless you truly believe that Joe did those squats, which no other human on earth could do, then how can you believe his #4 claim?  Saying that on video was what changed my mind on good ol Joe.

All he had to do was close it once... just once... in front of someone who was familiar with grippers.  Just once.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Let me ask you one question:  Do you believe the man squatted 440 x 60 every day for months on an empty stomach?  That's what was claimed.  

One question, sure. No. It bothered me until I heard that his tree stump squat rack rig had safety bars on them from which he was pulling on. It's a big difference between what we heard and then what it turned out to be.