Who can close a #3 Ronnie Coleman style?

Alawadhi

So someone revived a 8 years old thread and got me thinking. Mr. Coleman tried to close a CoC #3 in a weird way here. That is very hard to do. My question is, can anyone close a #3 like that? Yes? Have a video? I want 99.999% certain that Ronnie would've closed it if the hand placement is right. I did that style long ago in 2011 and couldn't close a #2.

• Like 2

That's seriously impressive of Ronnie, I can just close the #2 with the gripper that far back and miss like 50% of them. 

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

So someone revived a 8 years old thread and got me thinking. Mr. Coleman tried to close a CoC #3 in a weird way here. That is very hard to do. My question is, can anyone close a #3 like that? Yes? Have a video? I want 99.999% certain that Ronnie would've closed it if the hand placement is right. I did that style long ago in 2011 and couldn't close a #2.

I think I can and have . It’s not much different from how I close them now. Maybe I have it a little higher in the hand? I just place them in my hand and squeeze just like him. But I don’t know. Have to see.  Here is a video of it just placed in my hand.  I have lots of videos like this. Here is one example. 

Here’s another 

You be the judge. Next gripper workout I will try it and see, if this isn’t quite it.

Edited by Guest

It's way back in his palm, but the thing that really makes it even harder is how high up he is on the handle.  That would be a tough close on a #3, but I would bet there are those out there that could do it.  I think with a little coaching and a week or two to practice setting a gripper, Ronnie could have slammed the average #3 with no problem.  He could pull big weight, so he had the closed hand strength for sure.

note:  Tha was also with no warmup and certainly didn't look like he was straining with maximum effort.  Not a bit of shaking. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It's way back in his palm, but the thing that really makes it even harder is how high up he is on the handle.  That would be a tough close on a #3, but I would bet there are those out there that could do it.  I think with a little coaching and a week or two to practice setting a gripper, Ronnie could have slammed the average #3 with no problem.  He could pull big weight, so he had the closed hand strength for sure.

If he set it right In his hand that moment I would bet he would have gotten 2 or 3 closes in one set. Pulling 800 plus dead’s would have been enough training to do it like butter

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think I can and have . It’s not much different from how I close them now. Maybe I have it a little higher in the hand? I just place them in my hand and squeeze just like him. But I don’t know. Have to see.  Here is a video of it just placed in my hand.  I have lots of videos like this. Here is one example. 

Here’s another 

You be the judge. Next gripper workout I will try it and see, if this isn’t quite it.

Super strong bro which I can't replicate now. But not even close. Ronnie's hands were very misplaced. The handles are way back. His pinkie is not even down. your pinkie is 100% correct half outside and half on the handle. That's why I almost know 99.999% he could've closed it if he just hand the hand placement right.

53 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

note:  Tha was also with no warmup and certainly didn't look like he was straining with maximum effort.  Not a bit of shaking. 

Exactly. He was literally toying as if he didn't care.

2 hours ago, Lennix said:

That's seriously impressive of Ronnie, I can just close the #2 with the gripper that far back and miss like 50% of them. 

It's not only the far back. Look at the pinkie. When I was MMG2 I couldn't do that to a #2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Super strong bro which I can't replicate now. But not even close. Ronnie's hands were very misplaced. The handles are way back. His pinkie is not even down. your pinkie is 100% correct half outside and half on the handle. That's why I almost know 99.999% he could've closed it if he just hand the hand placement right.

Exactly. He was literally toying as if he didn't care.

Thanks, bro, I will have to try this next gripper day to see, for fun 

We should call that the Coleman set or RC set because it's really different and looks like a a very difficult challenge. I'm sure he'd easily close it with a better set. 

• Like 2

His thumb also doesn't touch anything. It's just floating out there.

• Like 1

Huge frickin hands I'm seeing here 😮 With some training on a set, I would not see a problem with a #3 close :rock

I can’t even close a trainer that way. He starts with his pinkie fully on the handle. If I do it like that, my fingers would just curl around the handle and wedge between the handles just before the close.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forever said:

Huge frickin hands I'm seeing here 😮 With some training on a set, I would not see a problem with a #3 close :rock

Which I said before, show him a legit set. I guess a 3.5 would be closed easily.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, Squeezus said:

His thumb also doesn't touch anything. It's just floating out there.

Yes that too! The thumb help a TON.

20 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I can’t even close a trainer that way. He starts with his pinkie fully on the handle. If I do it like that, my fingers would just curl around the handle and wedge between the handles just before the close.

Yeah I did the #2 after my MMG2 and boy I could not. And the MMG2 is harder than the hardest #3 (I guess, feels around 168 RGC to me based on the calibrated grippers I have) but yet I didn't do a #2 in Coleman style.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Alawadhi said:

It's not only the far back. Look at the pinkie. When I was MMG2 I couldn't do that to a #2.

Yepp, I tried it the same he did in the video and #1.5 was a no go. 

• Like 1

They have better technique with respect to pinky placement, but I feel both Heslep and Kinney essentially close grippers this way.  @Joseph Sullivan  I agree, I think your style is similar to what Ronnie did as well.  Ronnie sure gave that thing a ride!

9 minutes ago, Cannon said:

They have better technique with respect to pinky placement, but I feel both Heslep and Kinney essentially close grippers this way.  @Joseph Sullivan  I agree, I think your style is similar to what Ronnie did as well.  Ronnie sure gave that thing a ride!

Yea man I thought so to. He is very strong.

here are a few TNS sets I did yesterday.

Ronnie could have, at that time, closed it if he set it in his hand right. Now? Probably not, his health appears to be, unfortunately , deteriorating rapidly.

48 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Ronnie could have, at that time, closed it if he set it in his hand right. Now? Probably not, his health appears to be, unfortunately , deteriorating rapidly.

He probably need a strong grip now more than ever when he's in a wheelchair.

8 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dang dude.  I'm pretty sure your arm is bigger than my leg.

43 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Dang dude.  I'm pretty sure your arm is bigger than my leg.

Naahhhh, Matt, I have Spuh Geddy Ahms! (name that documentary)!!!

In 2005, I believe “Patrick” on the Gripboard could have done it Coleman-style. Still one of my favorite gripper videos ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

In 2005, I believe “Patrick” on the Gripboard could have done it Coleman-style. Still one of my favorite gripper videos ever.

Ben! You remember that? I remember the first time I went to AOBS in 2005, a bunch of us were talking about it, and Jedd was: “Patrick? Who is Patrick??”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Ben! You remember that? I remember the first time I went to AOBS in 2005, a bunch of us were talking about it, and Jedd was: “Patrick? Who is Patrick??”

Who is Patrick? Would love to see the footage.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Who is Patrick? Would love to see the footage.

Looks like I brought his name up in October, 2018. Wannagrip and Cannon could not get the video to work. His name was Patrick Gansel. Florian chimed in on the subject as well. It was the most explosive close you ever saw, with his hand, wrist and forearm on camera. I remember Flo (who attended AOBS that year, all the way from Germany) saying he could not do that with the Number 2 (or did he say Trainer?). Patrick seemed introverted and humble. Perhaps Wannagrip could find the "discussion" thread on it back in 2005. But I suspect the video is gone forever. It got everyone's attention at the time...

On 6/20/2019 at 6:36 PM, Cannon said:

This looks MMS no where close to Ronnie style. I have yet to see Ronnie Coleman style close or attempt.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I remember that. It was a slow hydraulic close but NOT close to Ronnie style. Dave Morton did it too. I can do that to a #2 but not close to a #2 Ronnie style. Gripper is down in the palm, not the right spot, not using the thumbs, pinkie is way up, bad leverage. But if you are talking about another attempt I didn't see it.