Grippers and bending

db2000

We all know that pushing grippers and thick bar is almost impossible, but what about bending and grippers.

Does anyone feel that having bending in your grip program makes grippers suffer?

Or do you feel they can be worked on concurrently 

Bending kills your Gripper Strength imho. Keeping high level in gripper and bending at the same time is impossible. If i focus on bending i get stronger in bending but weaker in gripper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...what Marco said... I think you can handle it to a certain degree... but not excel in both at the same time...

I never lost too much on grippers, but I can't include them in my training when my focus is on bending. On the other hand: maybe there was just nothing to lose... lol 😄

• Thanks 1

Whenever I try to focus on grippers, my hands, knuckles, and elbows constantly feel beat up. Maybe it's just me, but bending takes less of a toll than grippers.

• Thanks 1

I didnt feel the same as the majority.  I was my strongest on grippers and bending at the same time. And I was also strongest on the bench when I was bending alot. It had nice carryover to chest and shoulders. 

• Thanks 1

I definitely couldn't do both at the same time.  But I was pushing bending to the max for myself, maybe if I was doing less and lighter bends it would have been possible for me...not sure.  However, some can train both.  EJ had no problem being high level at both simultaneously. But I would say that's likely the minority if we took a poll.

• Thanks 1

I think it's possible to combine (easier than thickbar+grippers) if it's done properly, i.e low volume/high intensity.

I don't bend at a high level, however I only do reverse bending, which should give more stress on the hands and lower arms and I was able to progress on both. I would never even think of doing high volume with reverse bending tho, that would for sure kill my hands in all possible ways.

• Thanks 1

I have yet to find a way to workout regularly and do bending. 

Its either one or the other. But I'm not good at anything so it doesn't matter. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.

Bending on the back burner then. Will continue to perform sledgehammer levers until I hit my gripper goals

Bending and grippers at a high level was very tough to balance for me as far as training and recovering. High level being #4 gripper closes and above KOAB bends. I finally shelved the bending as it was too much with everything else to recover from for me. Even just doing a bending training once every 10-14 days. You have to find your balance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, Shal9097 said:

What about pinch work and grippers? Does working pinch grip hurt or slow down gripper work?

@Chez has always said his best gripper workouts are the day after pinch workouts. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

@Chez has always said his best gripper workouts are the day after pinch workouts. 

Yep, Pinch the day before or a couple days before always lead to gripper PRs. I can't explain it. Its like it primes my crush. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep, Pinch the day before or a couple days before always lead to gripper PRs. I can't explain it. Its like it primes my crush. 

Thanks man

• Like 1