Current Overall North American Grip Rankings - UNOFFICIAL

Eric Roussin

I thought it would be fun to put together a list of the top 10 active grip athletes in North America. To come up with the list, I reviewed results from GSI and Armlifting USA contests held over the past year and tried to consider who would be most likely to perform best in an open weight grip contest that tested many different aspects of grip strength. Here's what I've come up with:

1 - Jedd Johnson
2 - Tanner Merkle
3 - Carl Myerscough
4 - Gil Goodman
5 - Adam Glass
6 - Kody Burns
7 - Aaron Corcorran
8 - Andrew Durniat
9 - Luke Raymond
10 - Eric Roussin

I developed this list for fun - please don't consider it as gospel! And please don't feel offended if you don't see your name.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on this list. Am I way off? Bang on? Did I forget anyone who should definitely be in the top 10?

I also think it would be fun to see other people's lists.

• Like 5

Strong list!! Clay Edgin is in my top 10 but that list is loaded💪

LOL to offended if I don't see my name ... I have heard of all of those names and I can be plenty proud of my own abilities while at the same time knowing that these ten are elite.  I might add Justin Major and Joe Sullivan because they might be able to beat some of those on this list from time to time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong list!! Clay Edgin is in my top 10 but that list is loaded💪

Clay is super strong. Due to a lack of contest data, I just wasn’t sure where he’s at with some of the various types of lifts.

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

LOL to offended if I don't see my name ... I have heard of all of those names and I can be plenty proud of my own abilities while at the same time knowing that these ten are elite.  I might add Justin Major and Joe Sullivan because they might be able to beat some of those on this list from time to time.

Agreed. On any given day, Joe and Justin certainly have the ability to finish ahead of some of these men.

• Like 4

I agree mostly with your list but I would place Andrew Durniat higher, definitely in the top 5.

23 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I agree mostly with your list but I would place Andrew Durniat higher, definitely in the top 5.

Based on recent performances, I’m not sure I agree. But based on historical performances, without a doubt.

• Like 1

That's about as good a list as you could come up with.  Probably because it's based on data vs. opinion.  

I think Jedd and Tanner are probably pretty interchangeable at this point and the winner between them would be totally dependent on the events.  1A & 1B maybe?  Lol

Good stuff Eric.

• Like 2

Totally agree with this list. Thanks so much @Vinnie for the mention. I’m still just a baby gripster, and don’t class myself with these guys yet! Gotta make my bones to get on the list. I find it amazing how Justin and I are always so neck and neck  .  And actually to my surprise, bested the list maker (number 10) in his own country at the Cross Canada Grip championships last September!!!!! That was the highlight of my career thus far!  Haha I couldn’t resist, Eric. Anyone can tell you how amazed I was that I actually placed ahead of you in the top 3! You should consider it an honor that I am ribbing you, because you are one of my top favorites in the WORLD At this game!! 😉

Edited by Guest

In all the times people have put together rankings, this is the first time I recall being at the top of the list.  Thank you, Eric, for putting it together.

It would be AWESOME to have all these dudes at the same competition to see who comes out on top.  That's for sure.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

In all the times people have put together rankings, this is the first time I recall being at the top of the list.  Thank you, Eric, for putting it together.

It would be AWESOME to have all these dudes at the same competition to see who comes out on top.  That's for sure.

I also think that he was being humble by putting himself at 10th on the list he made. I would not put him at 10th by any means!!! Top 5 for sure .

21 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

A trained Durniat would be 1 or 2...but like Eric said he isnt focusing on that so his lifts are just speculation now. 

My List:

1. Jedd Johnson

2. Tanner Merkle

3. Carl Myerscough

4. Kody Burns

5. Adam Glass

6. Gil Goodman

7. Andrew Durniat

8. Aaron Corcorran

9. Eric Roussin

10. Clay Edgin/Joel Dirks (need more contest info) 

-this would be dependent on events; I fall too far behind on thickbar and would require a vbar lift to have a chance to make up ground. 

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I’ll host it...events will be LBH, FBBC Anvil and 2.5” jug 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Maybe you could even donate some grip tools as a prize for the winner!!!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Might as well throw in 2" vbar to make sure you have everything covered. 🤣😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Might as well throw in 2" vbar to make sure you have everything covered. 🤣😂

I don't think anyone has enough plates for that, better keep him on jug.

• Haha 1