2019 North American championships

Hello All! 

Here is a little account of yesterday’s EXCITING grip sport championships event held in Elmira NY

As many of you know, I received a pretty debilitating injury at work to my right QL. This was from a quick movement of catching a patients full bodyweight at work, preventing them from falling at the beginning of May. It was such a quick jolt that I couldn’t brace myself fast enough to prevent injury to myself. I actually thought my lifting outside of seated things and grippers, would be over. Did not train for the last month leading to the contest on anything but inch dumbbell rows, seated sledgehammer levers, some gripper sets and some random thick bar neutral grip pull ups and various thick bar preacher curls. 

Fast forward to nationals, I was totally not going. Even had a dream a few nights before, that I went and took last place. What a nightmare that was, further diminishing my confidence. Should I go? Should I risk further injury? Or would I be crazy NOT to go, with it being 2 hours from home. So, I consulted with a few of my seasoned Grip buddies on what they thought. I made the suggestion of coming, trying, and if it didn’t feel right, I could sit out and help run the events. Thank you guys, for encouraging me to go! You all know who you are!

Event one SILVER BULLET

Went for the number 4 on this one. I was of the mind set, “no risk, no reward”. Came in for the set, got it set pretty easy for the clamp down, but as I was coming up, I fumbled and lost it. Should have went right down to the 3.5, but nooooooo.... tried again on the 4.... set it down again and just didn’t have the steam. That was all in the first 30 seconds. Went for the 3.5, clamped it and held it out but it was slightly below he line.... so had to SET AGAIN!! Managed to score my 80 points with 4 sets in 60 seconds!! Haha I was not happy, but at least I made points.

Event 2 : 2 3/8 inch napalms nightmare

This event was going to determine whether I was able to move on with the comp, injury wise. Took a warm up with 310 and it was fine. Knew all would be well after that! Topped out at 376.5 with is a contest PR  by 36 pounds from the year prior! Happy about that

Event 3: Euro pinch (2 hands)

This one I only have experience with touching in a few competitions. Was very happy with my top result for 214.6. Topping my contest PR Yet again by 7 pounds from Gripmas 2018 

Event 4: 2.5 inch jug

This is one of my best events. Vertical lifts suit me very well due to the wrist component. Was yet again able to top my contest PR from KK 2018 with a little over 254 pounds. Went for 264 on my last attempt and came up a little short.

Event 5: Medley

HATE THEM... I don’t care for medleys. I get very hyped up and get tunnel vision with these kinds of events. This was my second medley, so I took a very different approach. I said I would approach each thing calmly. It worked out very well. Scored 18 out of the 20 needed. Missed a few things that I should not have, but that comes with contest conditions.

Now for the results of the 120 + class.....

I was in 1st place and 4th overall at the time  of the medley against my friend and competition nemesis, Justin Major! The 6’5 inch 300 pound monster with nearly 9 inch hands!!! I thought that this was it! I finally got him! We have competed against each other about 4 times now and it is ALWAYS  by a few points for the win!!  We were waiting to get called for placings. And then.... wait for it... by a margin of .53 points... I took 2nd... yet again... to the Canadian monster, Justin!!! Ahhhhh maaannnn.... haha that stung like a bee! If it was by 10 points I would be like, alright, he whooped me!! But that half point was so hard to swallow. But at the end of the day, I wasn’t even going to come in the first place, we want to win, of course, but it was all in fun, spending time competing against friends. Big Mike Rinderle took a STRONG 3rd and I believe won 1st for masters! Way to go, Big Mike! Comes back from Rhabdo and trains to make himself stronger than he’s ever been! You had my vote for most inspirational lifter!

All in all a great day, and went to go kill some Texas Roadhouse after with my NYC brethren Vinny, Anthony and Anton (yes that’s where I was born and raised) and from Indiana , Dave 101, who would give you his last name, but then he would have to kill you!imageproxy.php?img=&key=eaccad71ea3acba1

4A068026-AC68-4690-B5E9-6D8AC2CAA67F.png

9587B57E-3F4B-41D8-A690-D7D136BC7364.png

22F24342-6A1C-428C-B3DA-1DD9882CB924.png

AB13A1CC-82BE-4A90-8589-5E247A5FD677.png

Edited by Guest

Congrats on a great performance!

Way to go, dude! Glad you showed up!

4C018164-AC2E-433B-BA56-DAE54872306C.jpeg

• Like 2

Glad you were able to compete! If its close you should always go even if it's just to hang out and lend a hand! Strong lifting as always💪💪💪

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dube said:

Glad you were able to compete! If its close you should always go even if it's just to hang out and lend a hand! Strong lifting as always💪💪💪

Thanks, Dubes! See you next month at Eric’s competition.

Great time Joe and strong lifts as always! You performed so well they even named a street after you - Elmira never forgets - glad you came through and were able to compete - crazy you and Justin are always neck and neck - great way to keep it exciting!

13 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Great time Joe and strong lifts as always! You performed so well they even named a street after you - Elmira never forgets - glad you came through and were able to compete - crazy you and Justin are always neck and neck - great way to keep it exciting!

Yea man, totally crazy. Keeps one hungry, rather than having run aways all the time. Great to see you again and a great dinner to boot! 🥩 

Great job Joe!  You have come so far in the last couple years.  If you stick with it, you could definitely be fighting for #1 next year.

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Great job Joe!  You have come so far in the last couple years.  If you stick with it, you could definitely be fighting for #1 next year.

Thanks, Mike! I would love that! Just gonna keep plugging along as long as the good Lord blesses me with a strong enough body! 💪

Good job, Joe.  Glad you made it and that you were healthy enough to push yourself in the heat of competition.

4 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Good job, Joe.  Glad you made it and that you were healthy enough to push yourself in the heat of competition.

Thanks, Jedd! Was very happy to perform so well not at 100%. Sometimes we have to push ourselves so we don’t just lay down and die.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Hello All! 

Here is a little account of yesterday’s EXCITING grip sport championships event held in Elmira NY

As many of you know, I received a pretty debilitating injury at work to my right QL. This was from a quick movement of catching a patients full bodyweight at work, preventing them from falling at the beginning of May. It was such a quick jolt that I couldn’t brace myself fast enough to prevent injury to myself. I actually thought my lifting outside of seated things and grippers, would be over. Did not train for the last month leading to the contest on anything but inch dumbbell rows, seated sledgehammer levers, some gripper sets and some random thick bar neutral grip pull ups and various thick bar preacher curls. 

Fast forward to nationals, I was totally not going. Even had a dream a few nights before, that I went and took last place. What a nightmare that was, further diminishing my confidence. Should I go? Should I risk further injury? Or would I be crazy NOT to go, with it being 2 hours from home. So, I consulted with a few of my seasoned Grip buddies on what they thought. I made the suggestion of coming, trying, and if it didn’t feel right, I could sit out and help run the events. Thank you guys, for encouraging me to go! You all know who you are!

Event one SILVER BULLET

Went for the number 4 on this one. I was of the mind set, “no risk, no reward”. Came in for the set, got it set pretty easy for the clamp down, but as I was coming up, I fumbled and lost it. Should have went right down to the 3.5, but nooooooo.... tried again on the 4.... set it down again and just didn’t have the steam. That was all in the first 30 seconds. Went for the 3.5, clamped it and held it out but it was slightly below he line.... so had to SET AGAIN!! Managed to score my 80 points with 4 sets in 60 seconds!! Haha I was not happy, but at least I made points.

Event 2 : 2 3/8 inch napalms nightmare

This event was going to determine whether I was able to move on with the comp, injury wise. Took a warm up with 310 and it was fine. Knew all would be well after that! Topped out at 376.5 with is a contest PR  by 36 pounds from the year prior! Happy about that

Event 3: Euro pinch (2 hands)

This one I only have experience with touching in a few competitions. Was very happy with my top result for 214.6. Topping my contest PR Yet again by 7 pounds from Gripmas 2018 

Event 4: 2.5 inch jug

This is one of my best events. Vertical lifts suit me very well due to the wrist component. Was yet again able to top my contest PR from KK 2018 with a little over 254 pounds. Went for 264 on my last attempt and came up a little short.

Event 5: Medley

HATE THEM... I don’t care for medleys. I get very hyped up and get tunnel vision with these kinds of events. This was my second medley, so I took a very different approach. I said I would approach each thing calmly. It worked out very well. Scored 18 out of the 20 needed. Missed a few things that I should not have, but that comes with contest conditions.

Now for the results of the 120 + class.....

I was in 1st place and 4th overall at the time  of the medley against my friend and competition nemesis, Justin Major! The 6’5 inch 300 pound monster with nearly 9 inch hands!!! I thought that this was it! I finally got him! We have competed against each other about 4 times now and it is ALWAYS  by a few points for the win!!  We were waiting to get called for placings. And then.... wait for it... by a margin of .53 points... I took 2nd... yet again... to the Canadian monster, Justin!!! Ahhhhh maaannnn.... haha that stung like a bee! If it was by 10 points I would be like, alright, he whooped me!! But that half point was so hard to swallow. But at the end of the day, I wasn’t even going to come in the first place, we want to win, of course, but it was all in fun, spending time competing against friends. Big Mike Rinderle took a STRONG 3rd and I believe won 1st for masters! Way to go, Big Mike! Comes back from Rhabdo and trains to make himself stronger than he’s ever been! You had my vote for most inspirational lifter!

All in all a great day, and went to go kill some Texas Roadhouse after with my NYC brethren Vinny, Anthony and Anton (yes that’s where I was born and raised) and from Indiana , Dave 101, who would give you his last name, but then he would have to kill you!imageproxy.php?img=&key=eaccad71ea3acba1

4A068026-AC68-4690-B5E9-6D8AC2CAA67F.png

9587B57E-3F4B-41D8-A690-D7D136BC7364.png

22F24342-6A1C-428C-B3DA-1DD9882CB924.png

AB13A1CC-82BE-4A90-8589-5E247A5FD677.png

That's a lot of beef right there!  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:57 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks, Dubes! See you next month at Eric’s competition.

Fingers crossed I can make it to that one also, I am booked for a hotel at least.

5 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What would hold you back? 

So busy at work I may not be able to spare the time.  I don't have much time to work out before then either but that would not stop me (never has), I enjoy comps even to watch and try things, ok if not at my top (although when I can try for my best of course I do).