3/8 HRS double overhand

wobbler

Grabbed some 3ft lengths on amazon, I'm planning to cut a 7" bar and see if it moves in bender's battlefield wraps (black nylon, equivalent to 1 1/3 or maybe 1 1/2 ironmind pads.)

If it doesn't move, I plan to make some ISO bars, probably at a little longer than 7" to work on shoulder flexibility, maybe straight and slightly wobbled, 10*, 20*, 30*.

Who knows how stiff this stuff is, but from what I have seen it should be minimum 500lb, to 550+ at 7". I can get a bastard and new red nail under 30 seconds and those should be 450ish+ bars, so I'll really have to wait and see what happens.

I think a little extra horsepower on the kink is what I need to get red nail cert ready. Faster through the kink in imps no bands and I know I can finish it.

Open to any comments here, just a quick brain dump.

• Like 1

In my experience with 3/8 HRS the kink is not very difficult but the crush was something I could not finish for a long time.  I do think that iso's on the crush with the HRS did help me, but again it took me quite a long time after I was killing Red nails to finish one off.  And I have several 7" pieces of 3/8 HRS (purchased at a different time) I was never able to finish. 

Good luck in your training and let me know how it feels after you try a couple.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Frank Pizzo that actually sounds perfect. I was considering getting some bigger stainless, but if the 3/8 hrs binds up on the crush, then two birds with one (cheap) stone.

Kink is currently my weak spot so not getting much full effort crush work. I'm assuming "not very difficult" is a relative term when talking about kinking a 3/8×7 bar in BBW, but sounds like I might have a decent chance.

Edited by wobbler

HRS 3/8 x 7" is a hard bend and a lot harder than the niveau of a Red Nail, a Shiny Bastard,a Golden Bastard and the Duke.

The kink is not a big deal but for the crush you have to fight.

Crush is harder than a Grade 5 5/16 x 7"

Let us know how it works for you.

• Thanks 1

I will cut some and try it tomorrow. I know how to (slowly) deal with a bar I can kink but not crush, that's how I worked up through the .290-.302 drill rod. Also eyeing that Edgin, and 3/8 G2s which might be easier than HRS based on my experience with 5/16 G2s.

Just in a bit of a funk lately because I am solid with bbw wraps but can't quite get a new red nail kinked in imps no bands, and very rarely but it happens, fail on the crush by an 1/8 or so. Hoping this will help me break through it.

3 hours ago, wobbler said:

I will cut some and try it tomorrow. I know how to (slowly) deal with a bar I can kink but not crush, that's how I worked up through the .290-.302 drill rod. Also eyeing that Edgin, and 3/8 G2s which might be easier than HRS based on my experience with 5/16 G2s.

Just in a bit of a funk lately because I am solid with bbw wraps but can't quite get a new red nail kinked in imps no bands, and very rarely but it happens, fail on the crush by an 1/8 or so. Hoping this will help me break through it.

An edgin & 3/8 grade 2s are very very nasty to kink. You'll seriously have to work your way up with O-1 drill rod. You will also need 5/16 1018 CRS hex.

• Thanks 1

Trying to stay at 7" (or longer) DO, but yes I think I need some 5/16 hex soon. My drill rod collection stops at .302 but yeah, some 5/16 and just over might be do-able.

Ended up getting 2, 3ft bars in one box, 1 bar in a different box. Cut a 7" piece from the single and gave it 5 good hits (2, rest, 2, rest, 1 rest) in BBW and the bad new is, it didn't budge. Good news is I saw stars, so I think I'm doing it right. And, maybe the other 2 bars are a bit softer?

So next I'll cut and cheat kink a few 7" ISO bars from that same one, and try the other one without cheating.

Edited by wobbler
In BBW
  • Like 1

Sounds like you definitely gave it some serious effort!  Do you think you'd be able to kink one in doubles and then progressively move to smaller wraps?  In my experience once HRS stops moving and cools it is extremely difficult to get it to move again.   Having some for iso's is good but don't be surprised if they stay put for a long time.  

I agree, I would also stay at 7" especially since you stated your kink could use some extra horsepower.  Moving to 6" would change the dynamic of the bend and not yield the results you are looking for going into a Red cert.

How far off the time mark are you for a Red cert right now?  I might be able to offer some specific advice with a little more info.

Good luck in your training!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Frank Pizzo biggest wraps I've used are the bender's battlefield, trying doubles I think would throw my technique off more than a shorter bar. There's already enough difference between a pair of broken in imps and bbw.

Best new red nail is 22 seconds in bbw, so I'd say I'm close just need to get the kink down in imps and the rest is good, crush is easier in imps I think. I have a brand new pair I might start using soon, but I'd like to get a few cert condition bends under my belt first.

• Like 3

If your goal is the red nail, then same advice from me as usual:

Only 7" Bars

Only IMP's

I wouldn't try the big HRS bars, because they are too hard for the actual level. In europe best advice is to train with CRS 7mm in USA it should be some drill rod bars. Try some volume to get a good feeling with the kink and to sharpen the technique. After some weeks you can try again a red nail on a good day.

You are not far away from this thing, so keep going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You look plenty strong enough in the video!  I would say just stick to IMP's and 7" lengths to condition yourself for the cert and you'll be ready very soon.

I always trained with IMP's BBW's, and doubles simultaneously (meaning in the same program).  I pushed my strength gains up bending in the doubles and conditioned my hands and fingers with the IMP's.  I'm not saying that particular training style or program would work for you or anyone else, but I thought I would just explain my motivations for why I trained like that in case you were curious.

Good luck brother you are very close! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't bend for shit yesterday, but decided to just grind through it and finished a few bars. Next session after one of those is usually a good one.

• Like 2

Great stuff Will, you're definitely on track! I also agree with these two wise veterans of nail bending - 7" and IMPs - have you tried breaking down the bend and just working on the kink one session, then the sweep a few days later, then the crush your next session? Kink 3 challenging 7" bars in IMPs, then just put them down, stop bending, and sweep those same 3 the next session. Or just kink 3 challenging bars per session for 2 sessions in a row then go to town on sweeping them the next few session. The hardest part is the self control to not finish the nail! Hah - Your last video looked like you had the most hesitation on the kink, then you just ate the nail up with the rest of your movements. This method was suggested to me by EJ years ago and it definitely did wonders for my training. As Frank mentioned above of course though, no particular program or method works for everyone at every time. Glad to to see you killing those reds! Keep the march to victory!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wobbler said:

Couldn't bend for shit yesterday, but decided to just grind through it and finished a few bars. Next session after one of those is usually a good one.

Try bending in 1IMP it will really help with progress for when you use bigger wraps.

9 hours ago, Danny Young said:

Try bending in 1IMP it will really help with progress for when you use bigger wraps.

I would not recommend this.

In one IMP you have another position and other angles, so it's a complete different technique.

I would stay with only IMP's in cert style until the Cert is in the bag.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Horrido said:

I would not recommend this.

In one IMP you have another position and other angles, so it's a complete different technique.

I would stay with only IMP's in cert style until the Cert is in the bag

I dont recall there being any difference in technique. 

Haven't done a lot in one imp, blue nail I think was the hardest bar I tried.

Will probably stick to single imps mostly and try to get a faster kink on smaller bars, and work up. Then just re-crush some red nails.

@Anton.Torrella the kink one day, sweep the next stuff, I may try it. Still have a bit of a sticking point with a bar at 90* that's no problem when it's hot, but tough to get going again if it's cooled off.

Mostly I need to focus on upper back on the kink, if I get flustered I try to just muscle through all chest and shoulders, and that gets me in trouble.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Haven't done a lot in one imp, blue nail I think was the hardest bar I tried.

Will probably stick to single imps mostly and try to get a faster kink on smaller bars, and work up. Then just re-crush some red nails.

@Anton.Torrella the kink one day, sweep the next stuff, I may try it. Still have a bit of a sticking point with a bar at 90* that's no problem when it's hot, but tough to get going again if it's cooled off.

Mostly I need to focus on upper back on the kink, if I get flustered I try to just muscle through all chest and shoulders, and that gets me in trouble.

What's your current goal?

Sorry, thought it was clear, red nail cert.